Cincinnati OH investing

Cincinnati OH investing

Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes

Hello BP,

I am considering investing in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am from Irvine,CA so I am not familiar with the area. I see some really cheap multifamily properties for sale in Cincinnati with pretty good return. Can someone who is familiar with the area shed some light on streets below? 

1015 Winfield Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45205  

1260 Rosemont AveCincinnati, OH 45205

3065 Bracken Wood LnCincinnati, OH 45211

Are these good areas to invest in? What are the pros and cons of investing in these areas?

Thanks BP!

1Reply
104 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 39 votes
7y

@Gaby Liu hey Gaby I’ve been watching this thread seeing where it was going and what was being discussed. I’m new to investing so few free to take what I say with a grain of salt. Cincinnati is very much a neighborhood city. No mass transit, and no really quick way to get around.

I’m in and out of houses weekly in Cincinnati and Northern KY doing inspections and writing estimates (property adjuster by day).

Certain neighborhoods have a better life for single family and some have a better fit for multi family. The east side and north side of Cincinnati is going to predominantly be single family. These are more of family established neighborhoods with better school districts and parks. The west side and central parts of town will bode better for multi family due to higher density of populations and more access to bus routes.

Even within those markets you’ll have areas that are better suited for any particular type of client. A lot with depend if your more interested in appreciation or cash flow....

Hope that helps!

BJ

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2008 · 319 posts · 243 votes
    7y

    @Gaby Liu Those areas are not my specialty, but I would say tread with caution as an out of town investor in those areas. People I know that have success in Price Hill have intimate knowledge of the neighborhoods.

    I would recommend working with a Realtor that focuses on investment properties, especially off market deals such as @Slocomb Reed

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Tyler Weaver

    Thank your for your input and share contact

    @Slocomb Reed

    I have sent him colleague request .

    on the one hand i m so excited that i m ready to get into this game but on the other hand I m nervous that I make mistake .

    As new investor I should looking b class neighborhood, right ?

  • Wholesaler · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Cincinnati has some C- to B areas that bring decent numbers, especially if you are willing to rehab. Never been a fan of Price Hill area (45205) but I know people who love it. It’s a very street by street  area

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Joe Davidson  thanks for your advise , I m planing to visit Cincinnati soon.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Gaby Liu hi! I would be so very careful! What looks dirt cheap for a California multifamily could very well be overpaying here. I hear Cincinnati is particularly hard for outsiders to get a bead on (I’ve lived here my entire life). I personally would stay away from price hill as my strategy is to stay in b to b+ areas with the idea that tenants will be easier to manage. What exactly are you looking for?

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Justin Tasset

    yes, you are right ,I have dropped off that price hill property after analyzing it. I m looking for to buy and hold MF in B Class neighborhood,, however is SF or MF better for rentals in Cincinnati?

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Gaby Liu I wouldn’t say one is better than the other. They both have their demand.

    I have a duplex right now and I’m looking for a single family.

    If you’re looking for B type neighborhoods I would stick to the west side of town (Oakley, hyde Park, Norwood, Mount lookout, pleasant ridge, Columbia Tusclum and madisonville). I am targeting madisonville because it is up and coming. Money can be made elsewhere but those are the neighborhoods I like.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    I agree with Justin about the neighborhoods he listed above. Only thing to know is that those neighborhood are very hot markets right now and MFH in Oakley/Norwood/Hyde Park are being overpriced.

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y



    @Justin Tasset thank you for your advise,  after done some research I have narrowed down the two markets Columbus and Cleveland, I have booked the flight on next month, hope to explore the market in OH.

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y


    @Michael Vu   

    any thoughts on Columbus or Cleveland?

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Gaby Liu Check out the pictures below. If you have a choice, I would invest in Columbus.

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Justin Tasset:

    @Gaby Liu I wouldn’t say one is better than the other. They both have their demand.

    I have a duplex right now and I’m looking for a single family.

    If you’re looking for B type neighborhoods I would stick to the west side of town (Oakley, hyde Park, Norwood, Mount lookout, pleasant ridge, Columbia Tusclum and madisonville). I am targeting madisonville because it is up and coming. Money can be made elsewhere but those are the neighborhoods I like.

    Hi;

    i herd that walnut hills is olso a good place to invest this days, what do you think about this area to?

    thanks:]

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Matan Yaakov I would agree with that statement. It has traditionally been a bad part of town when I was growing up (a place to avoid for sure). But as you say new construction has been shooting out of the ground and hip shops are starting to show up.

    It’s in a good spot. Right next to Mount Adams (a very affluent neighborhood), close to the city, right next to the highway, and is currently relatively cheap.

    The area is still rough though. My friend flipped a building in walnut hills and ran into someone using drugs in the alley. However I would say now is a good time to get in before it becomes common knowledge that the area is turning and everyone starts investing.

    Just my thoughts and experiences!

    -JT

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    @Gaby Liu hey Gaby I’ve been watching this thread seeing where it was going and what was being discussed. I’m new to investing so few free to take what I say with a grain of salt. Cincinnati is very much a neighborhood city. No mass transit, and no really quick way to get around.

    I’m in and out of houses weekly in Cincinnati and Northern KY doing inspections and writing estimates (property adjuster by day).

    Certain neighborhoods have a better life for single family and some have a better fit for multi family. The east side and north side of Cincinnati is going to predominantly be single family. These are more of family established neighborhoods with better school districts and parks. The west side and central parts of town will bode better for multi family due to higher density of populations and more access to bus routes.

    Even within those markets you’ll have areas that are better suited for any particular type of client. A lot with depend if your more interested in appreciation or cash flow....

    Hope that helps!

    BJ

  • Rental Property Investor · Medellin, Colombia · Member since 2016 · 231 posts · 215 votes
    6y

    @Remington Lyman - where do you pull information like this from?

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Farber Google Search "Columbus vs Cleveland population growth"

    If you use a good Realtor, they will help you out with this (This is a shameless plug)

  • Jim WatsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Hi Gaby. I live in Sacramento and have been shopping for 1+yr in the Cinci Market. Still lots of opportunity. Just made an offer on a 38# just north of downtown. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Yes, it's been difficult as an out of state investors (lose to local buyers) but worth the time. 

  • Jim WatsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Michael VU - curious what overpriced means. I'm looking a 34# north of downtown which is 42/unit. Def value add. Sub market rent. 

  • Property Manager · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Gaby Liu

    1015 Winfield Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45205

    ( Price Hill area , eastern price is coming up now , still drugs and crime and issue

    bank appraisals also an issue due to lot of depressed properties )

    1260 Rosemont AveCincinnati, OH 45205

    (Same as above )

    3065 Bracken Wood LnCincinnati, OH 45211

    (Bracken woods westwood is not a good area

    due to crime and would get low quality tenants )

  • Jim WatsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    College Hill looks interesting. I'd appreciate feedback. Thanks

  • Investor · Foothill Ranch, CA · Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    Is anyone on this thread familiar with the East/West Price Hill area in Cincinnati, OH? I'm looking at properties in the area to BRRRR. TIA!

  • Investor · Cincinnati/Fort Thomas, KY · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 183 votes
    5y

    @Justin Tasset Did you mean east side? Those are east side. Oak Hills, Western Hills, Price Hill, Delhi, etc. are west side.

  • Property Manager · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 19 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Shera Linares:

    Is anyone on this thread familiar with the East/West Price Hill area in Cincinnati, OH? I'm looking at properties in the area to BRRRR. TIA!

    Yes we have properties or BRRR we have more than 250 properties in that area. We can discuss this further via phone call. Can I have your phone number please?

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 58 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Shera Linares:

    Is anyone on this thread familiar with the East/West Price Hill area in Cincinnati, OH? I'm looking at properties in the area to BRRRR. TIA!

    I invest nearby (Delhi and Bridgetown), but I have looked there a few times. It's a Class C neighborhood (even some Class D). The prices are affordable, and many properties need rehab (so perfect for BRRRR). I haven't yet jumped in there, primarily because my current property manager doesn't manage property in that area.

  • Investor · Foothill Ranch, CA · Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Rajib Garu I messaged you my contact information. Speak soon!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.