Greenville SC vs Huntsville AL

Greenville SC vs Huntsville AL

Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 1 vote

I understand there is no perfect answer here. However, I am looking to see if fellow investors have strong perspectives one way or another -

If you had a fixed amount of capital that you could invest, would you invest in Huntsville or Greenville? Inventory in both places is low, and we all know rents are going up making it possible to have a decent cashflow in both places.

I always look at jobs, population movement and affordability. It seems both cities fare well in those regards and are projected to continue to do well.

Next, I look at schools - Huntsville is much better it seems.

Finally, I look at housing starts, price points, infrastructure and safety - both cities are comparable, although Huntsville seems a bit better.


What am I missing? What would you do?

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Huntsville AL · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
4y

@Gordonlopes

@Gorden Lopes I couldn't agree more! This is how I have been making money. Not buying the cheapest house in town but buying in areas with the best schools. Rents follow. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    I am from Decatur, AL and now live in the Greenville SC area.

    You can't go wrong with either location. Find the property that makes you the most money in either location.

  • Real Estate Agent · Greenville, SC · Member since 2021 · 210 posts · 142 votes
    4y

    I prefer Greenville as I like to be able to get to my properties in less than 30 minutes.

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
    4y

    @Raj Mukherjee - right now, the challenge is actually finding a deal.  

    I do not know anything about the Greenville market.  

    But finding deals in Huntsville/Madison right now is virtually impossible unless you have numerous and strong connections for off-market properties.  

    If you were planning to primarily use the MLS in Huntsville/Madison, you're probably best to look elsewhere. In the years I've been doing REI here, I've never seen the market so lacking of decent buying opportunities.

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I am experiencing the same. I found a couple of properties in decent school areas but it is pretty far from Huntsville and the P/R ratios are not that attractive. My hurdle rate has always been 15% IRR assuming a 2% annual appreciation rate (I understand that is low but I like to be pretty conservative buy and hold investor).

    I am going to see if I get anything but if not, wait for the interest rates to go up to cool off market somewhat.

  • Property Manager · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 302 posts · 246 votes
    4y

    Buying in Huntsville now is very competitive.  You have to be ready to move fast.  So have your proof of funds/pre-approval ready.  Cash flow is gonna be tough here.  You are buying more for the appreciation.

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @Dena Puliatti do you have a sense of rents ($/sq ft) in neighborhoods with good schools (8+ rating)? And how long does it take to rent? Scoping North Huntsville area - lets see.

  • Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2012 · 50 posts · 50 votes
    4y

    @Michael S. , 

    I agree. Inventory is really low, and it is very hard to find any deals that will cash flow in Huntsville, AL. As a matter of fact , prospective tenants have been contacting us about rentals that are not even vacant or advertised for rent. In the past, our tenants would live in a unit for about a year and a half then move out, not now. None of our tenants have moved over the past few years. From the properties that I have seen sold recently, investors paid way too much for them. 

  • Property Manager · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 302 posts · 246 votes
    4y

    @Raj Mukherjee I do know rents for all of Madison County.  How long it takes to rent depends on a lot of factors.  Everything from season to schools to home condition to price. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2016 · 298 posts · 222 votes
    4y

    @Raj Mukherjee

    You are right in your analysis, Huntsville definitely has better schools and the employer profile is much better as well. 

    With little bit of effort and networking you can easily find off market properties which are slightly better in numbers. An example would be buying a SFR house in a Class B area for 230-250K that is renting for 1600-1800 range, those are not home run numbers but with low property taxes these are still better deals than what you find in other places.

    All the best in your search!

  • Huntsville AL · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    @Gordonlopes

    @Gorden Lopes I couldn't agree more! This is how I have been making money. Not buying the cheapest house in town but buying in areas with the best schools. Rents follow. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 43 votes
    4y

    Greenville is Awesome. The challenge is, it is extremely hard to find deals most the wholesalers here are now working directly with hedge funds willing to overpay for anything. I'm sure Huntsville is similar. I would look at both and write offers in both markets till you find a deal that works. 

  • Gash NookalaPro Member
    San Diego · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    @Raj Mukherjee 
    What did you end up doing? Huntsville looks good market

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.