Tennessee - Kingsport, Bristol, Johnson City. Networking

Tennessee - Kingsport, Bristol, Johnson City. Networking

Realtor · KINGSPORT, TN · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 34 votes

Hi,

I am new to the Tri-City area and would like to network with other real estate investors.  First thing on my list is to find a place to live - preferably a duplex that I can purchase, rent out one side & live in the other - or a house that has a separate living area that I could rent out.

Next, I am experienced in flipping houses, but have been told there isn't much of a market for that in this area. Is that true? I would like to partner with another experienced investor. I have some money to lend through a SD-IRA.

I will be in Kingsport through Sunday, the 18th.  I will be moving to this area by Nov.1st.   I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Connie

0Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Kingsport, TN · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 22 votes
7y

Hi all,

I'm new to real estate investing and just moved to Kingsport last fall, so I thought I would introduce myself. My wife and I have one investment rental property in Durham, NC  and are now actively trying to expand our portfolio with additional single family and small multi-family properties. Please reach out if you would like to connect and hopefully I will meet some of you guys at the next meetup or around town!

Cameron

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Good morning Constance, 

    I do not live in the Tri-City area, but am considering to invest in a 65 unit apartment complex in Johnson City. 

    I am messaging you to just figure out why you are considering investing there and what was your reason to move there? 

    I have my own options but wanted to get your thoughts on the area. 

    Thanks, 

    Craig 

  • Realtor · KINGSPORT, TN · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    Hi Craig,

    I am moving to Kingsport to be closer to my daughter.  I prefer to invest close to where I live, that's why I'm looking to invest in the Tri-City area.  Kingsport is beautiful geographically, but seems to have a rather depressed economy (compared to Hampton Roads, Va).  On the up side, the houses are affordable, on the down side, rentals are more in demand than homes for sale.  I already have two rental properties and prefer not to have any more money tied up.  

    According to the Kingsport Chamber of Commerce, "Kingsport has one of the lowest cost of living averages in the state of Tennessee and in the nation and was recently ranked 45th in the nation for best home price appreciation."  Unfortunately they do not have any real estate investor groups in this area, I will try to get one started once I am living here.

    I appreciate your response and hope I have answered your questions.  Good luck with your apartment purchase!

    Connie G.

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Hello. I am looking for a good closing company and attorney who can help with wholesales in the Tricities region, namely in Morristown in Hamblen County. Can anyone make any recommendations? Thanks.

  • Abingdon, VA · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hi Constance, I am new to the real estate market and live in the tri cities area, have you started the REI group yet? I would be interested in attending your meeting and start networking with like minded people.

  • Realtor · KINGSPORT, TN · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    Hi Crystal,

    Just now seeing your post. Goes to show I need to get on BP more frequently!  I believe you came to the meeting we had when Bill Hall was the speaker.  Hope you can continue to make it to the meetings.  I have been very happy with the connections I have made with several of the folks in the group.

    :0) Connie G.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Constance Grandelli - how far are you from Bristol va? I have a lead there looking for someone close to review it with Thanks
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Realtor · KINGSPORT, TN · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    @Chris Seveney

    Hi Chris,

    I'm about 40 minutes from Bristol.  Not too far.  I'm happy to help in any way I can. :0)

  • Holon, Israel · Member since 2018 · 86 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    Hi @Constance Grandelli

    Did you manage to make some deals at kingsport ? How is the real estate market in the Tri-cities nowadays ?

    Happy investing day,

    Benny

  • Realtor · KINGSPORT, TN · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    Hi Benny,

    I have facilitated a few deals, thanks to networking! I have two houses under contract in Va. and I have a lease option that I will be closing on next month here in Tn. The REI group is going great. There is a lot of interest and it's a diversified group. Several deals have been made within the group - that thrills me!

    As for TriCities real estate, it's much the same as anywhere else.  The deals are out there, but you have to dig for them.  Sometimes investors think the only thing they can do is flip, then they can't find good deals.  The key is to be flexible, consider all aspects of investing: cash flow, lending, flips, pre-habs, mentoring, lending, project management, etc.

    Have a great day!

    Connie

  • Rental Property Investor · Homestead, FL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Hi Connie 

    I just recently close on a medical building in Johnson city with my commercial agent from Atlanta. However I would like to buy land in prime location near the hospital or etsa ,  would you happen to know a good commercial/land realtor .

    Thank you in advance 

    claude

  • Realtor · KINGSPORT, TN · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    Hi Claude,

    TCI Group is one of the largest in our area.

    Congratulations on your acquisition!

    :0)  Connie

  • Waipahu, HI · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 81 votes
    8y

    Hello Constance

    I am new to the community, and am currently looking to buy some rental property in Johnson City, TN.  I use to live there, and my mother owns several rental properties.  It seems easy to find rental properties on Zillow that will cash flow properly, but most are 2 - 3 bedroom single units or condos.  It makes me nervous that the people who would rent out those units would just opt to buy a house or rent a house.  What is your opinion on good rental investment properties in Johnson City Area?  What are the specific challenges for the Tri-cities area? It seems to me the key spot is to invest in properties around 100k or less.  If you spend more it seems difficult to find someone willing to rent out a duplex or condo for around 1k a month.  What is your opinion?


    Thanks 

  • Waipahu, HI · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 81 votes
    8y

    @Matt Castle  thanks for the info.  All of the landlords I know are in deep credit card debt, and have to constantly take out HELOCs to keep their heads above water.  I know investing in Johnson City can work, but I need to becareful.  

    Thanks for your time and info

  • Realtor · KINGSPORT, TN · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    Hi James,

    I'm not the best person to ask about trends in the TriCities area, since I'm relatively new here.  Right now it seems to me that everyone wants the same exact thing.  Warren Buffet said, "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful!"  (Don't follow the herd).  There are many facets to real estate investing, it isn't just rentals and flips.  When everyone is buying hamburgers, it's time to look at investing in a hot dog stand. 

    Here are a few "hot dog stand" ideas: Airbnb, Short Term Leasing in your home, Notes, Lending, Wholesaling, Tiny Houses, New Construction, Partnering, JV's, REIT's, Commercial, Lease Options, Crowdfunding, 1031 Exchanges, SD-IRA Investing/Lending, Self Storage, Mobile Home Flips, Tax Liens, Property Management, Realtor, Bird Dogging, etc.

    :0) Connie

  • Waipahu, HI · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 81 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the advice.  That is true not to go with the grain all the time.  I will look into those other options.  

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi, my name is Rachel. I am trying to do a little research on wholesaling and possibly venturing into it. Is there still an REI group and could I attend to learn some things?

  • Realtor · KINGSPORT, TN · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Hi Rachel,

    Google: TriCities meetup group, Kingsport, TN. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Kingsport, TN · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Hi all,

    I'm new to real estate investing and just moved to Kingsport last fall, so I thought I would introduce myself. My wife and I have one investment rental property in Durham, NC  and are now actively trying to expand our portfolio with additional single family and small multi-family properties. Please reach out if you would like to connect and hopefully I will meet some of you guys at the next meetup or around town!

    Cameron

  • Realtor · KINGSPORT, TN · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Hi Cameron,

    Welcome!!! I look forward to meeting you! Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help however I can! 

    :0) Connie Grandelli

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.