Looking to Connect with Norfolk/Virginia Beach Investors!

Looking to Connect with Norfolk/Virginia Beach Investors!

Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes

Hello everyone!

As the title states, I am looking for current or future rental property investors in the Norfolk and Virginia Beach area that may be interested in doing business with me. I'm looking to invest in short term rentals in Norfolk and Virginia Beach, however, instead of buying property I am looking to rent property from someone who currently owns property for rent. The properties that I rent would be fully furnished and then listed on short term rental sites such as AirBnb, HomeAway, VRBO, etc. as available spaces for travellers using these platforms. I am focusing my strategy around at least month long stays for the guests that book, but I can't guarantee that guests won't stay for less time. As part of the lease terms we would need to sign a corporate lease that allows us to advertise the spaces on AirBnB and include some concessions to allow us to get off the ground.

What's in it for you? We hit the ground running, so if we go into business together you would get immediate occupancy for your property (I am not afraid of slow season and am happy to sign during these cold months!) as well as a long-term lease that will guarantee you the steady income you're looking for from your investment property. All guest screening (background checks, meeting guests, etc.), security (cameras, noise detection, security policies, etc), cleaning and upkeep would be provided by me and my company for the duration of the lease. Keep in mind, for the listing on AirBnB to keep top marks we would need to provide a clean and well-maintained environment. This means that your property will be cleaned before, after, and sometimes during a guest's stay. Due to the constant upkeep, when you're ready to sell, your property will have much less wear and tear as you would normally expect from traditional long-term tenants. Of course, any damages that are caused by me or the guests will be paid for by me.

Since we would create a long-term lease (one year or more) and no additional contracts will be created, this would not violate Virginia Beach or Norfolk's new Short Term Rental regulations and would not require a CUP. Even so, I would prefer to keep close to requirements of the ordinances as possible when it comes to parking and occupancy as I believe those were made because there is a real concern in the community and this (in my opinion) is circumventing the rules enough as it is.

I hope this sounds like an interesting opportunity for many of you! I am just getting started and I'm excited to begin my investment journey with the Bigger Pockets community. Please, feel free to ask me any questions or clarify any misunderstandings for you.

Thank you for reading,


Raquel Blue

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

@Raquel Blue - As both a Property Manager and landlord in Hampton Roads, VA, I'll tell you that I have had plenty of people inquire about doing similar things - what you described or even more often, group homes. So far, they have never been able to meet my income criteria. My criteria for something like this would be that you would have to show that you have three times the rent of my house plus the rent/mortgage of the property you live in of verifiable, reliable income. You need to show that you can afford both units if you lose your tenant or are between tenants.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Manassas VA / Columbus OH /St. Johns FL · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Raquel Blue Interested !! I like to see your numbers, but what makes you to rent instead of owning ?

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Charan K.:

    @Raquel Blue Interested !! I like to see your numbers, but what makes you to rent instead of owning ?

    I decided to rent vs own because, while buying a home and building equity is very attractive, I'm just not interested in rehabbing properties, dealing with bankers and appraisers, the due diligence you need when buying a property, etc. Finding potentially lucrative properties and turning them into attractive spaces is just more fun for me. Basically, I align more with the finding homes and customer service side of rental properties which is a lot of what AirBnB is! If I cut out buying a property of my own I can focus more on the parts that I enjoy the most while still being able to create relationships with investors in my area.

    And I'd love to connect with you and talk more! I will send you a PM.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 96 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    @Raquel Blues I’m in this area, how can we help you please?

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Bowen:

    @Raquel Blues I’m in this area, how can we help you please?

    We are just starting out so me and my company are looking to rent many properties in the Virginia Beach and Norfolk area for our services. If you have properties for rent or know any owners with properties for rent I would love to connect! We are hoping to exchange use of the property for long-term occupancy and freedom form tenant management. 

    If this sounds interesting to you I'd love to go into a deeper conversation via PM or you could continue it here. :) I will send you a connection request!

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Raquel Blue - As both a Property Manager and landlord in Hampton Roads, VA, I'll tell you that I have had plenty of people inquire about doing similar things - what you described or even more often, group homes. So far, they have never been able to meet my income criteria. My criteria for something like this would be that you would have to show that you have three times the rent of my house plus the rent/mortgage of the property you live in of verifiable, reliable income. You need to show that you can afford both units if you lose your tenant or are between tenants.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.