New Investor in Northern Virginia

New Investor in Northern Virginia

Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hey All!

I'm a relatively new to real estate investing, but trying to learn more.  I am most interested in rentals, and I currently rent rooms in my primary residence, and purchased a rental townhouse.  I went into the townhouse with the idea of minimizing interest and rushing to own it outright as soon as possible, which seems to be the opposite of a lot of strategies I see. 

I'm interested in learning more, specifically about how to find the best deals. I'm open to partnering, and I'm really curious to hear about any success anyone else has found in rentals in the area, as the ratios just seem really tough around here (ie. I don't think I've ever seen a deal that suits the 2% or 1% rule).

Thank you! :)

Jared

Locations: Reston, Herndon, Fairfax County, Loudoun County, Arlington, Alexandria, Ashburn, Leesburg, Oakton

2Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 30 votes
5y

@Jared Rohlfs glad to have you.

The market here is insane but deals can be found for sure.

I’m in Leesburg, and there’s a local meet up every other Thursday.

Happy deal-finding!

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    Great connecting with you, @Jared Rohlfs. Being active on here is definitely important for your learning experience in real estate investing. Best of luck on your journey. 

  • Realtor · Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Jared Rohlfs glad to have you.

    The market here is insane but deals can be found for sure.

    I’m in Leesburg, and there’s a local meet up every other Thursday.

    Happy deal-finding!

  • Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    Hi @Muoki Musau which meetup is that? I'm in Leesburg as well and there is a NoVA REI Meetup that I participate in once per month but I'm not familiar with another specific to Leesburg/Loudoun that meets biweekly.

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Muoki Musau Where is the MeetUp located? Is it virtual or in person ? I’m interested since I live in Alexandria.

  • Realtor · Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Frances Marquez it’s virtual, so you can enjoy from your own home 😎

    @Adrienne Green is the POC—she’s incredible and a wealth of knowledge.

  • Realtor · Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Paul Ellington it’s hosted by @Adrienne Green

    Is that the one you’re a part of?

  • Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Muoki Musau that is the one! I’m not familiar with anything that meets every week specific to Loudoun.

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Muoki Musau Do you have more info about this? I’m interested

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
    5y

    Hi @Frances Marquez! I'll message you the details. Bigger Pockets has blocked past posts I've attempted about meetups, so it's easier to PM you. @Muoki Musau thanks for thinking of me! You're the best. :-)

  • Arlington VA (arlington, va) · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Adrienne Green Hi Adrienne, I am also interested. Could you please share details? Thanks!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
    5y

    Hi @Aaron Patron I'll PM you now!

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Adrienne Green me too, please! :)

  • Ian MacDougallPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC + Central VA · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    @Adrienne Green If you wouldn't mind sharing details with another NoVA (Alexandria) investor as well, please let me know! My usual meet-up has been on a hiatus, but would love to connect more with DMV investors.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Adrienne Green

    I'm interested too!

  • Cassidy BurnsBusiness Member
    Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 859 posts · 460 votes
    5y

    Hey @Jared Rohlfs , welcome! And you are correct the 1 & 2% rules are not available in this market, this is a high IRR, higher anticipated appreciation market.

    In terms of "finding deals" I think the key is concentrating on "value" .   

    -Current rental value (know the rents up front before you buy it)

    -Long Term Potential Value (what is the projected appreciation, DMV is historically 2.7% appreciation over the last 20 years)

    -Location Value: Will people want to live in this location for the long term, remember you will own this for 30 years, not just the 1st year

    -IRR Value: Equity pay down, tax deprecation, potential appreciation

    One question I'd concentrate on is : What is the opportunity cost of waiting for the PERFECT deal? 

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
    5y

    @Rick K. and @Ian MacDougall I just messaged you the link. All are welcome, I hope you both can join us!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Adrienne Green Hi Adrienne, I am also interested in the meetup, would you be able to share the details? Would love to learn from others! Thank you!  

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Adrienne Green

    Thanks!

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Jared Rohlfs

    I'm also a fan of higher equity, lower debt ratios on investments. You're right, it's not the most popular strategy, because it takes less advantage of the leverage potential of real estate. You will find though that having high equity on at least some of your investments can be a powerful part of your portfolio - it reduces your holding costs, gives you collateral you can get future loans against, etc etc.

    I guess what I'm getting at is: your strategy doesn't have to be the most common to be best for you.

    Welcome to the community!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.