Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
Aloha everyone,
My partner and I are looking to start moving into multifamily properties in the Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler area of Arizona. We are currently invested in short term rentals out here in Maui and have a few single family rentals in Las Vegas. We are actively looking to get into the market in Arizona and would love to connect with quality contractors and handymen (or women), property managers, lenders, brokers, realtors, wholesalers and of course other investors in the area.
If any of that sounds like you, please reach out and let's connect!
Also, I'm a landscape photographer by trade, and while I've spent a lot of time in Northern Arizona (mostly up by Page), I've never been outside the Phoenix airport. I would love to connect with others in the area who are passionate about the outdoors, hiking, exploring, adventuring, etc. So again, if that sounds like you, please connect with me!
Because of the pandemic, a lot of REI meet ups have gone virtual, making it easier for you to participate from afar. Tomorrow night, 6/8, is the monthly meeting of AZREIA. The meeting will start with a market update from everybody's favorite local analyst, Tina Tamboer of the Cromford Report, and then will move into an update from a property manager, lender, etc. Might be an ideal time for you to jump in and learn who some of the players are as well as get up-to-the-minute insights on investing here. Go to AZREIA.org to become a member so you can attend. They also have subgroup meetings on Fix & Flip, Buy & Hold, etc. Well worth the money for the time it will save you in connecting with more people.
As far as wholesalers go, there are so many here. Steve Trang has a local meetup called Real Estate Disruptors, which is also the name of his excellent podcast. The monthly meetings are packed with the top wholesalers in town. You can follow him on Instagram at steve.trang He developed an app called OfferFast that's designed to serve as a kind of MLS for wholesale deals. Available in AZ and TX for now.
Another resource is PHX REIA, which is not connected to AZREIA. A hotbed of wholesalers and investors. Best place to connect with them now is through their Facebook page.
My brokerage, which was founded by an investor and serves many investor clients, has a wholesale division, Tru Wholesale. You can sign up for the email list at https://truwholesalehouses.com/
Hopefully this will get you started.
Maybe I'll see you on the AZREIA monthly meeting on Monday night.
Because of the pandemic, a lot of REI meet ups have gone virtual, making it easier for you to participate from afar. Tomorrow night, 6/8, is the monthly meeting of AZREIA. The meeting will start with a market update from everybody's favorite local analyst, Tina Tamboer of the Cromford Report, and then will move into an update from a property manager, lender, etc. Might be an ideal time for you to jump in and learn who some of the players are as well as get up-to-the-minute insights on investing here. Go to AZREIA.org to become a member so you can attend. They also have subgroup meetings on Fix & Flip, Buy & Hold, etc. Well worth the money for the time it will save you in connecting with more people.
As far as wholesalers go, there are so many here. Steve Trang has a local meetup called Real Estate Disruptors, which is also the name of his excellent podcast. The monthly meetings are packed with the top wholesalers in town. You can follow him on Instagram at steve.trang He developed an app called OfferFast that's designed to serve as a kind of MLS for wholesale deals. Available in AZ and TX for now.
Another resource is PHX REIA, which is not connected to AZREIA. A hotbed of wholesalers and investors. Best place to connect with them now is through their Facebook page.
My brokerage, which was founded by an investor and serves many investor clients, has a wholesale division, Tru Wholesale. You can sign up for the email list at https://truwholesalehouses.com/
Hopefully this will get you started.
Maybe I'll see you on the AZREIA monthly meeting on Monday night.
Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
6y
@Melanie Johnston WOW!!!! This is a ton of great info and resources! Thank you! I will look into all of them for sure! And you’re right, virtual REIAs are awesome and the perfect way to network!
Thank you so much for that info! Have a great day!
Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
6y
@Shane Belfield Hi Shane! Yeah for sure, let’s connect! I’m around here on bp and available to chat via phone too most of the time. Message me directly when you have time. I look forward to meeting you!
New to Real Estate · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 18 votes
6y
@Mike Neubauer I live in southern Mesa and am planning to get into Real Estate soon and would be willing to do any grunt work that you would be willing to outsource. I'm pretty young (16) but I already have a little real estate experience including analyzing properties and working a couple contracting jobs (that are allowing me to be on track for listening to every BP podcast before the end of the year) I would particularly love helping to find deals but I would be willing to do pretty much any work in order to get some hands-on knowledge.
Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
6y
@JD Randall I love this kind of mentality and this is how you succeed. Alright, let’s connect and we can go over what we’re looking for and see how you can fit in and be part of the team! Thanks for reaching out, JD!
I currently have 2 clients that sound like they are in a very similar situation. They have investments in both Hawaii and Vegas. I am currently helping them find properties here in the greater Phoenix area to 1031 exchange from their Vegas properties. I will send you a PM so we can connect!
Contractor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 0 votes
6y
@Melanie Johnston Hey what’s up dude. I’m an electrical contractor right here in Phoenix. I was born and raised here, I went to NAU for a year and I used to visit Flagstaff, Sedona and Page often when I was a service tech back in the day. I’m current transitioning to doing real estate investing. In the Chandler/Gilbert area i see a lot of multi family going up that way. In fact I help built one last year with the construction company I worked for. I would love to connect and potentially help with the pursuit of Arizona real estate.
Contractor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 0 votes
6y
@Melanie Johnston Oh gosh, that message was definitely supposed to go to @Mike Neubauer. I would love to connect with you too. I got a lot of value from you last post. Thank you
Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
6y
@Freeland Wilson hey man! Yeah for sure, let’s connect! It’s always good to have connections with your specialties. I’m sure we could help each other grow our portfolios!
Investor · Orange County · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 5 votes
6y
Hi @Mike Neubauer! Nice to meet you. I came across your thread and it sounds like we are in similar situations - we also own two SFRs in Las Vegas and are looking to expand with a multifamily in Mesa, AZ! While we aren't from Hawaii, we do love it there. :) We actually just visited Phoenix/Mesa area and are super excited about growing our portfolio there. Would love to connect and I'm happy to share any of our resources with you as well!
Specialist · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2011 · 698 posts · 629 votes
6y
@Mike Neubauer I'm a tax lien investor in Arizona parcels, and after a lifetime of living in Illinois and only visiting AZ - I'm making the permanent move in a month to AZ. As far as landscape photography, Arizona has vast opportunities for that. Heck my Biggerpockets profile page is just part of one of my Sedona shots. Spend some time exploring the state and you'll be richly rewarded.
Rental Property Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2020 · 75 posts · 39 votes
6y
@Mike Neubauer hey I'm an az native from the east valley area (Tempe) but living overseas at the moment, in Papua New Guinea. I fly over you from LAX all the time :) I'm in a similar boat as you looking into getting into the phx area market here soon and researching it from afar. Only difference is I'm a total REI noob yet. Sounds like you've got some experience behind you that will help quite a bit. Anyway, it would be good to connect and somehow be able to be a help and an encouragement in REI and portfolio growth.
Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
6y
Aloha @Geoff Husa! Awesome! I’m very familiar with Papua New Guinea. Although I’ve never been there, it’s on my list of places to visit at some point for my photography.
Let’s definitely connect. I just bought a home in Gilbert that I’m going to rent out for a little while and am planning to move into at some point in the future to be on the ground in the area.
I think one of the most important things in investing is to have people hold you accountable. It may be a little while before I buy anything else as I’m unsure where all the dust will settle after this pandemic dies down, and because our short term rentals are getting crushed right now in Hawaii.
DM me and let’s touch base about what your plans are and where you want to go with real estate. Hopefully we can push each other to achieve our goals. I’m happy to share any knowledge and experience I have to help you grow.
Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
6y
Thanks for the connections everyone! I did purchase a SFH in Gilbert last month and am on the prowl for more, along with multifamily places out there as well. The experience was pretty good except for the mortgage lender was a little slow. I'd really like a recommendation for a rock star mortgage lender. Commercial and residential...
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 21 votes
6y
Hi @Mike Neubauer, I've used Jud Holmes for my personal SFH that I will begin house hacking soon. He's great to work with and I would highly recommend him. He is a mortgage broker and only does 1-4 unit properties, but I think he could work well for you if your deal is 1-4 units. Here's his website: http://innovatemortgage.com/
If you want, I can DM you a Word document that is a "Lender Checklist" I received after buying the How to Invest in Real Estate book by Brandon Turner and Josh Dorkin. The document has all of Jud's answers to various types of questions relating to properties, loans, borrowers, rates and fees, and lender/borrower interactions.
Rental Property Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 16 votes
6y
@Andrew Daus how is the house hack working out for you in Gilbert as well as the type of renter you are getting in that market? Personally looking to house hack in the Gilbert or Scottsdale area.
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 21 votes
6y
@Kevin Sierra I actually haven't started the house hack just yet. I just finished furnishing my house and will start the process of finding a roommate with it hopefully being rented by the end of October. I am about to leave for a 3-week business trip and so I will be focusing on my work while I'm there. Luckily I live about 5 minutes from ASU Polytechnic, so that might help my chances of finding a good student to rent my spare bedrooms.
I'll try and update you once my house hack is up and running!