The Emotional Ups and Downs of REI

The Emotional Ups and Downs of REI

Orange, CA · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 17 votes

When I got into sales as my first job out of college my dad used to always say "It takes a certain kind of person to handle sales."

I'm not sure if I am that certain kind of person yet, but I think its possible to make yourself be more of that kind of person.

My topic may be completely uninteresting to those who don't actually buy and sell real estate, but to those who do, you know this very well. The highs and the lows.

When you get a deal, your calling your escrow company and while the phone is ringing your jumping up and down in your office (or for me my family room next to my Chihuahua) doing the moon walk. (Stop judging me, you know you do that.)

Then a couple days in the seller gets cold feet and takes a knife to the deal and starts stabbing it to death.

I go from moon walking to saying words I wouldn't use in church.

So anyway what's the point? The point is I had this thought the other day when this exact thing happened. "Lauren, get over it and move on to the next one. Your not that desperate and the next deal will be better." So I grabbed my iphone, got on Pintrest and pinned two slow cooker recipes. (For those who don't know what Pintrest is, its an excellent way to waste time and I'm a much better person because of it.)

I'm learning that I need to do that with all deals. Take your emotions out of the deal and this industry wont drive you crazy.

Would love to hear how some of the pros deal with the up and downs, and what you've learned over the years. I'm still a newb so I haven't mastered it yet.

XOXO,

Bigger Pockets Biggest Emotional Headcase

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hudson, WI · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 30 votes
    13y

    Gets easier with more ups and downs. :)

    I am in a sales job (not RE) and have experienced it first hand. Try losing 15,000 in business, and trying to keep moving forward. It makes your stomach turn. But then their are days when you land 100K purchase orders, and then there are days when your purchasing dept, says they cant source 40k of what you quoted any longer. haha. its a blast!

    I still struggle to keep the emotions out of it, but I am getting better at it. All in all, I guess Faith, has helped me keep an even keel. I know I will be taken care of no matter what.

    Maybe try this:
    Write down/List what you have accomplished good, so that when something bad comes along, you can say , oh yeah, this is why I do it.

  • Hudson, WI · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 30 votes
    13y

    There are definitely days when I dream of an annual salary corpo job, making what I make now. Then I slap myself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.