Where are the genuine RE meetups in DFW area?

Where are the genuine RE meetups in DFW area?

Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 20 votes

Hello investors,

I have been to several real estate meetups since moving to Texas a few years ago. They.all.suck. It is just a farmer's market for real estate products. 

I have been to RE meetups in the past with like-minded everyday investors pursuing similar goals, sharing stories and learning from each other, running through numbers, sharing network contacts, and even doing deals together. I have had two amazing mentors in very specific niches, but they retired. They never charged money, they loved people that love to learn and hustle. I have not found this mindset in DFW. 

For example, this investor that I met recently said not to buy properties at tax auction for 100+ different reasons. So I said, "well, if that isn't the path, what is the better approach?" And she said "find some good wholesalers. I swear by them." Naturally I asked "how do I find a reliable wholesaler? Who do you recommend?" and it ended in a circular conversation to nowhere. Then hands me her business card, "call me, I can help you." 

I met another woman who charges $50k for "real estate coaching." She prays on rich women to teach them how to invest. I spoke to her for a few minutes and walked away. I'm sure plenty of people fall for that crap, and it is really sad! 

If you are in DFW area, do you recommend any meetups that aren't sales/marketing groups disguised as a RE meetup?

Cheers!

1Reply
29 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    There are a few I like.

    One is Roger's Thursday night meetup in North Dallas called NTAREI.  They've changed formats a bit, to one that is a free happy hour and I've not been to that.  I normally pick and choose the events I go to based on what will be discussed.  I think there is a good mix of people there.  Of course like all meetups there are people there who have gone every month for probably 10 years and never done a deal.  There are others there selling.  There are also serious investors.  I find that in every group.  There are also people who swear by one method or another.   I always get a kick out of people who say they would never do this or that and when you start quizzing them, they've actually never done anything.  So you move on.

    I also like Robin's Saturday morning group in west FTW.  DFW Real Estate Investor Club.

    I think both are about $20 per event to attend the basic meetings.  Sometimes they'll have gurus come thru that charge more for a full day class or more extensive training.

    I've posted before some lists of area meetups...each has a little different twist and following.  If you need me to post again, just let me know.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.