Neighbor moved - How to capitalize?

Neighbor moved - How to capitalize?

Specialist · FL · Member since 2022 · 37 posts · 22 votes

Hello, I am wondering how I can best capitalize on this situation. Someone in my neighborhood recently just moved about three hours away for the husband's job. Funnily enough the wife is a real estate agent, but I don't think she is very active as she has no listings and I can't find any activity in the market recently. The wife plans to do real estate in their new city. They moved away about 2 months ago. I have seen them back at their house maybe once or twice, but rarely ever there and it sits vacant. I live in Tallahassee which is a huge college town and the house would rent pretty easy and would be easy to keep an eye on as it is close by. 

I'd love to approach them about some sort of seller-financed or rent-to-own option or something. Most of my capital is tied up elsewhere right now so I don't really have much to put towards a downpayment. Is this possible to capitalize on and if so how would you do it? Thanks!

0Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2025 · 204 posts · 101 votes
8mo

If the home is sitting vacant and they’ve already relocated, they may be dealing with carrying costs, insurance concerns, and management headaches from a distance. That’s usually where creative solutions start to make sense for sellers.

Seller financing or a lease-to-own structure can work, but it depends on a few things: their remaining loan balance, interest rate, and comfort level with becoming a lender. If they have a low-rate mortgage, they may be hesitant to give that up, but they could be open to a solution that covers their payment and reduces risk.

Another option to consider is approaching them from a problem-solving angle rather than a purchase angle. For example, offering to help them place a strong tenant and manage the property locally, with a future purchase option built in once your capital frees up. That often feels safer for sellers than immediately transferring ownership.

Before proposing anything, I’d recommend understanding their current loan terms and monthly obligations. That will tell you very quickly whether seller financing, a lease option, or even a subject-to structure is realistic.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2025 · 204 posts · 101 votes
    8mo

    If the home is sitting vacant and they’ve already relocated, they may be dealing with carrying costs, insurance concerns, and management headaches from a distance. That’s usually where creative solutions start to make sense for sellers.

    Seller financing or a lease-to-own structure can work, but it depends on a few things: their remaining loan balance, interest rate, and comfort level with becoming a lender. If they have a low-rate mortgage, they may be hesitant to give that up, but they could be open to a solution that covers their payment and reduces risk.

    Another option to consider is approaching them from a problem-solving angle rather than a purchase angle. For example, offering to help them place a strong tenant and manage the property locally, with a future purchase option built in once your capital frees up. That often feels safer for sellers than immediately transferring ownership.

    Before proposing anything, I’d recommend understanding their current loan terms and monthly obligations. That will tell you very quickly whether seller financing, a lease option, or even a subject-to structure is realistic.

    • Specialist · FL · Member since 2022 · 37 posts · 22 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Ebonie Beaco:

      If the home is sitting vacant and they’ve already relocated, they may be dealing with carrying costs, insurance concerns, and management headaches from a distance. That’s usually where creative solutions start to make sense for sellers.

      Seller financing or a lease-to-own structure can work, but it depends on a few things: their remaining loan balance, interest rate, and comfort level with becoming a lender. If they have a low-rate mortgage, they may be hesitant to give that up, but they could be open to a solution that covers their payment and reduces risk.

      Another option to consider is approaching them from a problem-solving angle rather than a purchase angle. For example, offering to help them place a strong tenant and manage the property locally, with a future purchase option built in once your capital frees up. That often feels safer for sellers than immediately transferring ownership.

      Before proposing anything, I’d recommend understanding their current loan terms and monthly obligations. That will tell you very quickly whether seller financing, a lease option, or even a subject-to structure is realistic.


       Thank you! This is helpful. Is there a way for me to check their mortgage rate, balance, monthly obligations, etc? I know they exist I just am not sure how. Any insight would be great. Thank you again!

    • Jaron WallingPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Kyle Geoghagan:
      Quote from @Ebonie Beaco:

      If the home is sitting vacant and they’ve already relocated, they may be dealing with carrying costs, insurance concerns, and management headaches from a distance. That’s usually where creative solutions start to make sense for sellers.

      Seller financing or a lease-to-own structure can work, but it depends on a few things: their remaining loan balance, interest rate, and comfort level with becoming a lender. If they have a low-rate mortgage, they may be hesitant to give that up, but they could be open to a solution that covers their payment and reduces risk.

      Another option to consider is approaching them from a problem-solving angle rather than a purchase angle. For example, offering to help them place a strong tenant and manage the property locally, with a future purchase option built in once your capital frees up. That often feels safer for sellers than immediately transferring ownership.

      Before proposing anything, I’d recommend understanding their current loan terms and monthly obligations. That will tell you very quickly whether seller financing, a lease option, or even a subject-to structure is realistic.


       Thank you! This is helpful. Is there a way for me to check their mortgage rate, balance, monthly obligations, etc? I know they exist I just am not sure how. Any insight would be great. Thank you again!

       Kyle, if you don't have there phone number you need to get it. This feels like an off-market deal I completed a few years ago. I was the second property I every purchased so I was quite nervous. I approached a neighbor, introduced myself, and started the conversation. Timing, a bit of luck, and a friendly handshake was everything. It took us about 30 days to get the deal done because the seller wanted to explore other options. The relationship got it done.  

      You don't know what you don't know. Focus on the relationship, seller motivation, and "pain points" like mentioned above. 

  • Member since 2025 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    8mo

    Look to see if your County property records are available online to view. If so you can see the Warranty Deed with purchase price and the Mortgage lien documents. You can assume they paid as agreed to get rough numbers for remaining loan.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.