How are you handling leads that come in after hours?

How are you handling leads that come in after hours?

Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes

Something I've been genuinely curious about after reading through a lot of threads here:

For agents who get leads through online forms or listing platforms — what actually happens when one comes in at 11pm?

Is there a system in place or does it sit until morning?

I've seen a lot of discussion about lead quality and conversion but not much about the response time gap specifically. Curious what people are actually doing in practice.

0Reply
122 views

Most Popular Reply

Doug SmithPro Member
Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4mo

When I was a baby-banker and cell phones were new, my clients has my personal cell number. I would always answer no matter what. What I discovered is that I had just trained people that it was OK to call me on holidays and all hours of the night. That doesn't mean I don't work weekends, but you have to have some alone time with family or simply for "self-help". I might be working at 5am, but my emails from then always go out at 8am using the "send later" function. Newer people might scoff at this, but you'll soon discover that a professional sets boundaries of some sort. If someone is calling you at 11PM, they already don't respect you. How are they going to be as a customer. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4mo

    When I was a baby-banker and cell phones were new, my clients has my personal cell number. I would always answer no matter what. What I discovered is that I had just trained people that it was OK to call me on holidays and all hours of the night. That doesn't mean I don't work weekends, but you have to have some alone time with family or simply for "self-help". I might be working at 5am, but my emails from then always go out at 8am using the "send later" function. Newer people might scoff at this, but you'll soon discover that a professional sets boundaries of some sort. If someone is calling you at 11PM, they already don't respect you. How are they going to be as a customer. 

  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    4mo

    @Doug Smith That boundary-setting point is really valuable and something newer agents especially need to hear.
    There's a real difference between being available and being responsive though — and I think that's where the automation angle becomes useful without crossing the boundary line.
    An automated acknowledgment at 11pm that says "Thanks for reaching out, I'll be in touch during business hours" sets the expectation clearly while still making the lead feel heard. The agent doesn't have to be awake — the system handles the first touch professionally.

    That way you're not training clients to expect 11pm calls, but you're also not leaving them in silence wondering if anyone received their inquiry. Do you find clients are generally respectful of business hours when expectations are set upfront?

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4mo

    At 11pm they can wait till the next day. You can probably automate reply texts but it's rare for anyone to reach out that late. Maybe had a few people do that but it's not common.

  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    4mo

    @Caleb Brown  That's a fair point for some markets — though the data does suggest after-hours inquiries are more common than most agents realise. Studies consistently show a significant portion of online real estate inquiries happen between 8pm and midnight — particularly from buyers who are browsing after work. But honestly the after-hours piece is almost secondary.
    The bigger gap I see is response time during business hours — leads that come in at 2pm on a busy showing day and don't get a response for 3-4 hours because the agent is genuinely occupied.

    That's where the real volume of missed opportunities tends to sit.

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4mo

    Hey Andrea, 

    For me personally, I answer everything. Calls, texts, emails, DMs… pretty much 24/7.

    That doesn’t mean every conversation turns into a full late-night consultation, but I’ve always believed responsiveness matters.

    Even a quick response like “Got your message, I’ll call you first thing tomorrow” goes a long way. People remember how accessible you were.

    I think especially in real estate, speed builds trust. A lot of clients choose the first professional who makes them feel heard and taken care of, not necessarily the first one they contacted.

    As your business grows, systems definitely help. Auto-responders, CRMs, ISA support, all great tools. But early on, and honestly even now, I think being personally responsive has been one of the biggest drivers of my business.

  • Lender · TX · Member since 2026 · 164 posts · 67 votes
    4mo

    In practice it depends on the system, not the hour.

    • Solo agents / small teams: it usually sits until morning unless they’re actively monitoring notifications.
    • Well-run teams: leads trigger instant alerts (text, CRM, or dialer) and someone is assigned after-hours coverage or auto-response + next-morning follow-up.
    • High-performing setups: they don’t let it “sit” at all—an auto-text hits in under 1–2 minutes, even at 11pm, and first human touch happens early morning.

    The real gap isn’t “night vs morning,” it’s whether there’s instant acknowledgment. A fast “got it—we’ll call you first thing” at 11pm often preserves conversion almost as well as an immediate call.

    Without that system, yes—most leads just age overnight and conversion drops sharply.

  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    4mo

    @Mohammed Rahman — the point about people remembering how accessible you were early on really stands out. That first impression sets the tone for the entire relationship. The challenge most agents face is replicating that feeling of instant attention without being personally available every hour. That gap between "always on" and "always accessible" is where a lot of leads quietly disappear.

    @Account Closed — the "night vs morning" distinction is the one most people miss entirely. It's not about being awake at 11pm, it's about whether the lead gets acknowledged before they move on. The lead doesn't need a full consultation at midnight — they just need to know a real human received their inquiry. That alone changes how they feel about you by morning.

    Curious for both of you — in your experience, are most agents handling that first acknowledgment manually or do you see them setting something up to cover it automatically?

  • Lender · TX · Member since 2026 · 164 posts · 67 votes
    4mo

    Honestly, I think most agents still handle it manually — and that’s exactly why so many leads go cold overnight. A lot of people underestimate how emotional that first few minutes are for a prospect. If someone reaches out at 10:30pm and hears nothing until the next afternoon, they already assume they weren’t important.

    The smarter agents I’ve seen usually have a hybrid setup:

    • an instant automated acknowledgment (text/email)
    • then a real personal follow-up as early as possible the next morning

    The automation doesn’t need to “sell” them. It just needs to confirm:

    1. their message was received,
    2. a real person will follow up,
    3. they’re not being ignored.

    That tiny touchpoint buys trust and keeps the lead from moving on to the next agent before morning even starts.

  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    4mo

    @Account Closed this is exactly it — and the emotional framing is the part most people miss. It's not just about speed, it's about what silence communicates. A prospect reaching out at 10:30pm isn't expecting a full conversation. They just don't want to feel ignored.

    The hybrid setup you described is the right model — automation handles the acknowledgment so the lead feels seen, the agent handles the relationship when they're actually available. Neither replaces the other.

    The agents who get this right aren't working more hours — they've just stopped letting their availability determine whether a lead feels valued.

    Are most of the agents you work with starting to set this up proactively, or is it still mostly reactive — something they put in place after losing a lead they knew about?

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 855 votes
    3mo

    We don’t really leave it to chance.We’ve got staff covering shifts so leads still get responded to in real time, even after hours.It’s less about “checking messages” and more about having a system where someone is always there to handle them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.