Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 123 posts · 8 votes
I am curious as to what you all think. I am assuming I am not the only newbie interested in hearing everyone's opinion on gaining credibility.
I am fairly new to investing, and I am 25yrs old. I spend a lot of time with many other investors on a regular basis, and I want to know what some of the best ways are to gain respect among seasoned investors.
Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
16y
Want credibility and a stellar reputation? Think in terms of one word: INTEGRITY
Becoming known as someone who can be taken at his words begins today. Experience, investment savvy, and the like will come with time. Integrity is something you can have right now. A bad reputation will stick with you forever, so don't get one.
Centennial, CO · Member since 2009 · 758 posts · 251 votes
16y
Great responses and advice by all here. Education to gain knowledge and association with others helps build credibility. A well thought out business plan is essential. And, as Richard put it, Integrity is essential for long term success. Great post and responses by the BP Community.
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Matthew Paetz:
I am curious as to what you all think. I am assuming I am not the only newbie interested in hearing everyone's opinion on gaining credibility.
I am fairly new to investing, and I am 25yrs old. I spend a lot of time with many other investors on a regular basis, and I want to know what some of the best ways are to gain respect among seasoned investors.
The word will get out quickly about your character in your community. If you are seeking respect from your peers go to the local real estate club meetings and learn from the local doers. You can generally find out who the players are in your community quickly if you hang around the right places often.
Your bigger challenge will be to gain credibility with sellers. Look the part...have a professional website, business cards, etc. and study as much as possible to present yourself well. Nothing replaces confidence and posture when you are working with sellers. It will be immediately obvious if you don't know what you are doing.
Austin has several coaching programs and I assume most communities do too. You can quickly build experience by having a robust marketing campaign, screening deals, and approaching local coaches with GOOD DEALS. Offer to split the deal with them in trade for their expertise. This will help you establish a track record and gain confidence. It will also get you that practical real-world experience you need, which you can later point to with subsequent deals.