The Psychology of Starting Out

The Psychology of Starting Out

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 25 votes

Hello BP Family,

I've been considering this topic over the past few weeks, as my wife and I have begun the journey of real estate investing. I thought I'd share my perspective with attention to the psychology of this process. In case you're wondering - Yes, I believe I am qualified to speak on this topic, as my day job is as a practicing Psychiatrist :) Okay, so here goes:

1. My first deal: The first "deal" that I did in real estate investing was with myself. I made a mental contract with myself that I was going to take this seriously and treat it like a business (which it is). I had to overcome many limiting beliefs - self doubt, not enough time, not enough money, quizzical looks from friends, a competitive market (Atlanta), "paralysis by analysis" and so on. At the end of the day, I had to remind myself that many of the same traits that make me a successful physician - patience, compassion, discipline, intellectual curiosity, etc. should also translate well to this industry. I know it won't be a perfect transition, and I'm okay with some bumps in the road along the way. I am humble enough to admit what I don't know (a lot), and resourceful enough to find someone who does. And I'm well aware that this journey is a marathon, not a sprint. In the words of a savvy realtor, "Real estate investing is a get rich slow scheme."

2. The property is not our product: I am quickly learning that all of us are in the relationship business. Although we exchange goods and services for the purposes of real estate, the true value is in the connections we form. I can only imagine the number of deals that occur via whispers and handshakes at REIA meetings, inboxes on Bigger Pockets, or the text from a realtor to whom you sent a "thank you" card. I'm hopeful that this business will reward decency and professionalism. My aim is to be a decent human being first, and allow financial gain to be the byproduct. None of us is exempt from the Law of Attraction - we attract who and what we are. "You will get all you want in life, if you help enough other people get what they want." -Zig Ziglar.

3. Start networking....yesterday: I can't emphasize enough how helpful it's been for me to get from behind the computer screen. Now don't get me wrong - there is a WEALTH of information online: YouTube videos, BP Forums, Zillow, Trulia (particularly the crime map feature), articles galore. And it's all fantastic and very necessary in order to get your footing in this business. However, I have gotten just as much value from driving through neighborhoods in my target market (and actually smiling and saying hello to the people that live there), going to local REIA meetings, phone calls with other investors, and coffee dates with realtors. I've come to realize that people who are experienced in this industry have plenty of knowledge and "trade secrets" that they're willing to share if you just ask. And my goal is not just to take from them - I want to be able to add value to their business as well. Maybe I have a colleague who is looking to buy a home (introduction to a realtor), or a friend who is looking for alternatives to his 401K (introduction to a self-directed IRA manager), and so on. I am a firm believer that our network = our net worth.

For those of you who made it this far, thanks for humoring me with this post! I'd love your feedback and stories on what psychological hurdles you had to overcome while starting out. And if anyone is actively investing in the Atlanta area, I'd love to connect as well!

Cheers BP,

-Adam

5Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · CT · Member since 2017 · 165 posts · 75 votes
9y

@Adam Meadows Great post!  I agree that business can be built both ways, behind the computer, in person, or both.  My father has never touched a computer, still has a flip phone and has managed to build a great landscaping hustle.  Sure, it could have been done with computers and marketing, but he was a success without it.  

I think the biggest hurdle is the first buy.  I did it without the BP website years and years ago, but I'm thankful to have found it now.  It's given me the confidence to dive further in, crunch numbers appropriately with fine tuned calculators, etc.  After the first buy you learn so much, and it gives you the motivation to continue if you truly love the excitement real estate gives you.  

Growing your network in any business is the key to success, it's not always what you know, but who you know!  My last two jobs were from colleagues in the industry.   

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · CT · Member since 2017 · 165 posts · 75 votes
    9y

    @Adam Meadows Great post!  I agree that business can be built both ways, behind the computer, in person, or both.  My father has never touched a computer, still has a flip phone and has managed to build a great landscaping hustle.  Sure, it could have been done with computers and marketing, but he was a success without it.  

    I think the biggest hurdle is the first buy.  I did it without the BP website years and years ago, but I'm thankful to have found it now.  It's given me the confidence to dive further in, crunch numbers appropriately with fine tuned calculators, etc.  After the first buy you learn so much, and it gives you the motivation to continue if you truly love the excitement real estate gives you.  

    Growing your network in any business is the key to success, it's not always what you know, but who you know!  My last two jobs were from colleagues in the industry.   

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks for your well qualified perspective on starting out!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Benjamin Carroll! I appreciate the encouragement.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @Mario B. thanks for your comment! That's a great perspective, and I'm grateful for the technology era as well. I definitely agree on the "it's who you know part". That principle holds true in the medical field as well. Doctors know other doctors and your reputation is everything. It's incredibly meaningful when I get a referral from another physician, and oftentimes I'm incentivized to go above and beyond to see that patient is well taken care of.

  • Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 158 posts · 114 votes
    9y
    Adam Meadows great post!
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 25 votes
    9y
    Jessie Nunley thanks!
  • Troy, AL · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Adam, your my kind of people. 😍
  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 50 votes
    9y

    @Adam Meadows, great post. One of the other things that you have to deal with when your starting is to learn to not over-upgrade the property for the tenant class you can reasonably attract to the property from the perspective of the rental. Heated stone floors in the bathroom(s) is a feature potentially not appropriate for sub 1,000 dollar rentals. 

    Curb appeal matters the inside of the house needs to look good but don't neglect the outside as it will make the property look incomplete. 

    Be honest about what you need and tell lots of people. When your networking if you don't tell people what you need then they have to work harder to bring value to the relationship. If other people have to work harder for their relationship with you then your *network* will *notwork* for you.  

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @Kellie Ross thanks for the compliment!

    @Jason Monroe that's sage advice. I really appreciate it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Nice post! You're the second doctor I've come across in my relatively short journey. The first is a pain mgmt specialist who just can't wait to get out of medicine Lol.  Today we closed on our first property - in Seattle.....(from NYC). :) 

  • Developer · Little Ferry, NJ · Member since 2016 · 426 posts · 226 votes
    9y

    @Daphne Barber How did you manage to find a property all the way in Seattle when you are on the other side of the US?

    @Adam Meadows @Mario B.@Jessie NunleyI love talking about starting out because the journey when you are first starting out, helps morph you into who you become down the line. All the lessons that you learn from all the mistakes you make going forward, that is what teaches you and what helps you grow. Starting 10 months ago only at the age of 19... I can definitely tell you that it wasn't easy but it is 100% possible. Now collectively doing 8 deals with my partner, I have grown from a position where I had to do business with anyone because I needed to get started somehow, to picking and choosing who would be a potential good business partner for me. I don't want to rant because I can go on for ages, but if you go through some of the posts that are on my profile you can see some stories that I have shared with fellow BP'ers. Always nice talking about the psychology of starting because the reason why 90% of people don't start is because they are psychologically prepared and capable.

  • Investor · TULARE, CA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Great post Adam Meadows ! Thank you for the motivation.
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @Daphne Barber Thanks! And congrats on your first deal - super exciting!

    @Mateusz Prawdzik Congrats to you as well. You're doing yourself a huge favor getting started at an early age. Keep up the great work!

    @Agustin Jimenez thanks for the kind words!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    This was an awesome post! I'm a newbie, so I am overthinking everything out of fear and doubt. You made some insightful points that have made me really think. 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Regrettably most new investors seldom look beyond the initial stages of purchasing their first property. They often view that as their biggest hurdle when in fact it is only 10% of the beginning process. Although many will take the time to initially educate themselves on buying it is extremely rare to find those investors with enough insight to prepare for actual ownership and in particular tenant management. It is even rarer to find new investors that will bother to study their state landlord tenant regulations which is essential in operating their business.

    Purchasing a building only requires sufficient financing. Managing the property (or PM) will usually take skills and abilities which do not come naturally. Trust, compassion, emotion are all out the window when survival becomes your primary goal in business.

    As a landlord you will learn things about human nature that will disappoint and often disgust.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.