MASTERMIND GROUPS: What Has Been Your Experience?

MASTERMIND GROUPS: What Has Been Your Experience?

Shiloh LundahlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

So this time last year I purchased one of @Brandon Turner’s intention journals. I did it for the opportunity to be placed into a mastermind group. I had heard of the mastermind group concept and I had studied up on the idea out of a hunger to surround myself with other people who where succeeding at a high level. I believe in the concept of iron sharpens iron and I wanted to sharpen my skills and continue to develop myself as a person and as a real estate investor. 

Here is my review:

Meeting weekly via Zoom in a mastermind group over the past year has been a tremendous help in being accountable staying focused on goals. It was great in being able to bounce ideas off of one another and coach each other through difficult situations. It was insightful to see how when everything seemed to fall apart for someone one week, how everything came back together the next week (or sometimes the next month).

By being with a group, it made it seem like devastations weren’t that devastating as long as you could just ride it out. And it was defiantly helpful to get the support of the group while riding it out. Hearing each other’s weekly stories, the good and the bad, helped me improve my skills and knowledge through other people’s successes and failures rather than having to gain that knowledge though my own failures.

So this upcoming year, i encourage you to seek out others on the same path as you, about the same place on that path as you are, going in the same direction, and put together a mastermind group, and see how much more you can accomplish in 2020.

For those who have ever been involved in a mastermind group, what has been your experience?

4Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Ellis HammondPro Member
Investor · Leawood, KS · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 108 votes
6y

preface: I now run my own mastermind group for established christian real estate investors. 

But with that said the reason i started my own is because the power and speed that investing in my network up to this year has had on my business. Nothing has allowed me to grow my brand and business more than introductions that have happened from the other mastermind and mentorships ive been a part of. 

and for example in our mastermind group I am seeing more deal flow and opportunities to invest than ever before because we have built a community with people of similar values sincerely trying to help each other out and wanting to partner!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Shiloh Lundahl I've been part of a formal mastermind group since September 2014 and I can say without reservation that it has been the most positively transformative experience of my adult life!

    The combination of relentless accountability, wholehearted transparency and radical vulnerability is only for those with a serious commitment to massive personal growth.

    It's not always pretty and it is very often hard as hell, but I've found nothing better in my 55 years on the planet!

  • Rental Property Investor · Rosholt, WI · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Shiloh Lundahl

    I've read a few of your posts on BP regarding mastermind groups and I myself am really looking to try and get involved in one.  I would consider myself not a novice investor, but definitely not an expert.   From your post it sounds like the experience matching in the mastermind group through BP was a good fit, would you agree with this statement?  Being matched with similar experience and goal oriented people is what i am most concerned about.

    Thanks!

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    How do you find a mastermind group?

  • Ellis HammondPro Member
    Investor · Leawood, KS · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 108 votes
    6y

    preface: I now run my own mastermind group for established christian real estate investors. 

    But with that said the reason i started my own is because the power and speed that investing in my network up to this year has had on my business. Nothing has allowed me to grow my brand and business more than introductions that have happened from the other mastermind and mentorships ive been a part of. 

    and for example in our mastermind group I am seeing more deal flow and opportunities to invest than ever before because we have built a community with people of similar values sincerely trying to help each other out and wanting to partner!

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Lukas Loveland Yes, the mastermind that I was placed into when I got the 90-day intention journal worked out well for me.  After a few months, one person dropped out of the group and I reached out to a couple of other people I know on BiggerPockets and they joined the group.  Now I am much more comfortable and confident in masterminds and I am looking to put a mastermind group together of 5 people who own 100 units or more.

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Nicole Heasley Beitenman BiggerPockets placed me in a mastermind group after I bought the 90-day intention journal and that was a great start.  We have now added a few more people to the group.  That is how I found the group.  Over the last year or so, I have been able to network with some high caliber people and it has been pretty awesome to be able to reach out to them and get their ideas or advice and be able to share some ideas and advice with them as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rosholt, WI · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @shiloh lundahl 

    Thanks for the insight.  purchasing the intention journal today! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shiloh Lundahl:

    So this time last year I purchased one of @Brandon Turner’s intention journals. I did it for the opportunity to be placed into a mastermind group. I had heard of the mastermind group concept and I had studied up on the idea out of a hunger to surround myself with other people who where succeeding at a high level. I believe in the concept of iron sharpens iron and I wanted to sharpen my skills and continue to develop myself as a person and as a real estate investor. 

    Here is my review:

    Meeting weekly via Zoom in a mastermind group over the past year has been a tremendous help in being accountable staying focused on goals. It was great in being able to bounce ideas off of one another and coach each other through difficult situations. It was insightful to see how when everything seemed to fall apart for someone one week, how everything came back together the next week (or sometimes the next month).

    By being with a group, it made it seem like devastations weren’t that devastating as long as you could just ride it out. And it was defiantly helpful to get the support of the group while riding it out. Hearing each other’s weekly stories, the good and the bad, helped me improve my skills and knowledge through other people’s successes and failures rather than having to gain that knowledge though my own failures.

    So this upcoming year, i encourage you to seek out others on the same path as you, about the same place on that path as you are, going in the same direction, and put together a mastermind group, and see how much more you can accomplish in 2020.

    For those who have ever been involved in a mastermind group, what has been your experience?

    Great post. Accountability from the right community is key to growth. 90% of the people who have been in my mastermind for at least a year, have at least doubled their portfolio. 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jay Helms:
    Originally posted by @Shiloh Lundahl:

    So this time last year I purchased one of @Brandon Turner’s intention journals. I did it for the opportunity to be placed into a mastermind group. I had heard of the mastermind group concept and I had studied up on the idea out of a hunger to surround myself with other people who where succeeding at a high level. I believe in the concept of iron sharpens iron and I wanted to sharpen my skills and continue to develop myself as a person and as a real estate investor. 

    Here is my review:

    Meeting weekly via Zoom in a mastermind group over the past year has been a tremendous help in being accountable staying focused on goals. It was great in being able to bounce ideas off of one another and coach each other through difficult situations. It was insightful to see how when everything seemed to fall apart for someone one week, how everything came back together the next week (or sometimes the next month).

    By being with a group, it made it seem like devastations weren’t that devastating as long as you could just ride it out. And it was defiantly helpful to get the support of the group while riding it out. Hearing each other’s weekly stories, the good and the bad, helped me improve my skills and knowledge through other people’s successes and failures rather than having to gain that knowledge though my own failures.

    So this upcoming year, i encourage you to seek out others on the same path as you, about the same place on that path as you are, going in the same direction, and put together a mastermind group, and see how much more you can accomplish in 2020.

    For those who have ever been involved in a mastermind group, what has been your experience?

    Great post. Accountability from the right community is key to growth. 90% of the people who have been in my mastermind for at least a year, have at least doubled their portfolio. 


     So I looked up your master mind and it appears that it is geared toward people that I have a W2 job. Is that correct?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.