New investor to Fresno

40 Replies

I have been active in Sacramento but will be moving to Clovis or Visalia next summer to be closer to my inlaws and to get better access to the local RE market.   It appears to cash flow much better than Sacramento does.   I am excited meet you guys and get going in Fresno. 

Hi Joe,

Welcome to BP. You're right, Fresno sure does cash flow better than SF. Though there's a bunch of competition so finding a good deal has been tough. I've been in the Fresno and Clovis market since 09.

Best,

Allen

Welcome to Fresno! It's a great market to be in! :)

I've been looking at the Fresno area, too. The prices where I live seem to be too high to create much (if any) cash flow. And I have family there so I would have more reasons to go visit. :-)

look forward to learning from everyone else's experience.

Hope you do well!

Hey guys, I think I'm going to like this sub forum. Do any of you belong to a REI group? I would love to join one that functions similar to this website. Anyways, there is this property in Fresno that seems really intriguing and I'm wondering why it hasn't sold yet. I'm not in a position to invest in Fresno quite yet. I just entered into escrow on a property in Tulare where I'll be doing some house hacking. The property I'm talking about is 833 N Van Ness, 93728.

I believe it's in the Tower District.  What do you guys know about it?  It's obviously older, but it looks like a really cool property.

Nathan, that fourplex is over priced. Those are all 1 bed 1 bath units only rented for $480 and listed at $259,900. That area is more considered SOTOW (South of Tower) than actual Tower District. That neighborhood is definitely on the up, but is still a low-end part of town. I personally do not see why anyone would pay over $160,000. It is beautiful property indeed, but in my mind, just not worth the asking price.

Yes and I've noticed that property come on and off the market for a few years. I think the price was 299k a few years back.

Hello Everyone, 

This is a little off topic and was wondering if the current Fresno residents can help me out. I'm moving to Fresno and will be working in Visalia. Do you guys know a good/safe area around the South side of Fresno to live in or maybe even a city a little bit outside of Fresno that would put me closer to Visalia. My wife will also me working in North Fresno so we don't want to move to Visalia. I'm not too familiar with the area, we initially had our mind set on Clovis or North of Herndon for nice neighborhood and safety, but that will be too long of a drive for me. 

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Originally posted by @Andy S. :

Hello Everyone, 

This is a little off topic and was wondering if the current Fresno residents can help me out. I'm moving to Fresno and will be working in Visalia. Do you guys know a good/safe area around the South side of Fresno to live in or maybe even a city a little bit outside of Fresno that would put me closer to Visalia. My wife will also me working in North Fresno so we don't want to move to Visalia. I'm not too familiar with the area, we initially had our mind set on Clovis or North of Herndon for nice neighborhood and safety, but that will be too long of a drive for me. 

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Checkout Kingsburg. It's a safe, small town about 1/2 way between Fresno & Visalia. 

Yeah, Kingsburg, Selma, & Fowler are all decent middle class cities along hwy 99 just south of Fresno. SE Fresno is nice too.

Kingsburg all the way. Very nice area and very family friendly. Imo the nicest town in the valley!  If you come check out Kingsburg let me know I will take you out to lunch and show you the town!

thank you all for your responses!! I'm looking into the areas you suggested.

This post has been removed.

WElcome! 

We invest in hanford out side of Fresno. We are buy and hold investors who self manage. We have enjoyed investing in this area.

I've got a 16 unit building in El Dorado Park, AKA Sin City. It's been a less than profitable year, mainly because of some bad property management companies, but the PF is still better than the Bay Area.

Welcome to Fresno! 

Cash-flow is "easier" to get here than in other parts of California, but the competition is high!

how you guys think about this listing ad for "552 North Fulton Street, fresno" (mult-unit)?  is it at good location? or is it over priced? 

@Sue Deng , are you referring to the $2.5 million dollar apartment complex at Fulton and Belmont?  By "good location" do you mean safe area with good schools, etc.?  If so, no.  This apartment complex is located on Belmont near Divisadero and H (which, if you know the area, should tell you enough), and, while near the Tower District, is not a "good location."  According to the investment company, the complex was recently renovated because "the amount of disrepair, filth, and drug use."  The building itself does look quite good now, but the area will continue to be South Fresno, so if you going in knowing that, you'll have your expectations set right. 

@Garrett M. Thank you so much for your reply. I went to Fresno yesterday and checked out the property. It was hot! I agree with you the location is not good for investment. I  did not see many people in the area and most commercial units are vacate. I did not know that property belongs to South Fresno. I also checked out the properties on San Brunos and E. Mckinley Ave. It bothers me the most car ports have to be locked. The neighborhood seems not that great. It looks like you know the area. I am wondering what are the areas good for multiplex investment property? 

@Sue Deng Sounds like you may want to be looking farther north. The Woodward Park/ River Park area had some nice multiplexes depending on your price point. If you are looking for safe neighborhoods, I would try to stay north of Shaw Avenue. Another are you may want to look is in the city of Clovis. 

@Ed Lopez That seems to match what I saw while I visited Fresno. Thanks for your advice!

This post has been removed.

@Sue Deng , @Ed Lopez is right. 

Typically, the boundaries for "A Class" properties in Fresno are Shaw to the south, Blackstone to the west, Copper to the north, and Fowler to the east. Within those four boundaries, you are looking at prime North Fresno/Clovis real estate with some of the best schools in the state, virtually no crime, and newer homes occupied by professionals and upper middle class/upper class families.

East of Fowler is not dense enough for real estate investment and is rural territory. West of Blackstone can be fine, but is more B class; similar with northeast of Shaw. South of Shaw can get hairy pretty quickly. The Tower District, which is Fresno's nighttime hot spot is revitalizing, and you can consider that area a B area. Mostly anything south of Shaw, west of the 41 or south of the 168 are either Class C or true war zones.

Hi Joe - did you ever make to Fresno? - let us know how close you are to coming out here if not - maybe the next time you come up we can grab a quick lunch or something and talk about the area. There are some good places to invest here and there are places I avoid like the plague -  many of the posters have nailed it as far as north of Shaw - there are also other nice little pockets in south east Fresno too - I would be more than happy to help you look around the area.  

@Jay Orlauski when I come up to Fresno next, I'd love to meet with you and pick your brain about your investment strategy.  I have the areas down, but I would appreciate some experienced investor insight.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here