Votes
Alex Graebe
  • Campbell, CA
Votes |
Buy and Hold Cash Flow in Sacramento

Alex Graebe
  • Campbell, CA
Posted May 1 2017, 09:45

I currently live in the Bay Area and am looking to invest in a "buy and hold" rental property.  Since home values have skyrocketed and properties don't cash flow in the Bay Area, I have looked to surrounding areas in California that I can drive to.  

My question is, from the research that other people have done in the area, is Sacramento a good "buy and hold" market to obtain a rental property?  My analysis indicates that a property here would only have a rent-to-home value ratio of 0.5-0.6% and be either break-even on cash flow or slightly negative.  This is of course not as ideal as other areas such as the midwest where home values are much lower and rent-to-home value ratios are considerably higher (1.5-2%).  However, being that it's my first property, I'm very hesitant about buying a property in an area I don't know across the country, sight unseen.  I envision a much greater growth and future appreciation in the Sacramento area, but am fearful of buying a property that is borderline cash flow negative.

Loading replies...