Short Term Rental In Downtown Sacramento - 1 Bed / 1 Bath

Short Term Rental In Downtown Sacramento - 1 Bed / 1 Bath

Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 19 votes

I am in the process of acquiring a duplex with 1 bed / 1 bath units (approx 750 SF), in the Downtown Sacramento core. I am analyzing creative ways to increase cashflow on the units through short term rentals (airbnb), or furnished units catered to traveling nurses. A non furnished 12 month lease for an updated 1/1 in the area is running $1,400-$1,600 per month, and a furnished unit can push upwards of $2,000 per month. However, furnished units are catered to short term renters. 

I have found that the short term rental permit from the City of Sacramento runs nearly $3,500 per unit, and takes several months to be heard at a public hearing for approval, with the risk of rejection. High risk, but potential for a more lucrative investment.

I've reached out to a couple airbnb hosts in the area to see what they are averaging for monthly income on similar units (1950's build and updated interiors), and the range is $2,000-$2,600. I am curious if anyone on BP is an airbnb host in this area and would be willing to share their experience and stats? 

Although cashflow is tighter here, some reasons why I am pursuing an investment in the Downtown Sacramento core include the following. 

  • -I work for a developer in Downtown Sacramento and I am familiar with the future growth of the area. 
  • -Appreciating rents in the area suggest increased cashflow over time. 
  • -High demand for housing allows for lower vacancy rates. 
  • -I have a personal interest in hospitality services and plan to make short term rentals part of my business.
  • -Proximity to my current residence. Since I am self managing (potentially a short term), this is important.

If anyone has other creative ways of renting out furnished rentals without the need for a short term permit, please share as well. 

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

0Reply
28 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 706 posts · 611 votes
    6y

    @Hugo Luna What length of stay is considered a short term rental by the city? Under 30 days? Under 60 days? Find that out and your niche for traveling nurses may be a perfect fit seeing that most of them stay at minimum 90 days. This will also help you detour that $3600 short term rental permit.

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Thanks for your input @Myka Artis. For Sacramento anything under 90 days is considered a short term stay. 

  • Marie TanjuatcoPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hi Hugo,

    I manage a triplex in Midtown and was wondering if you happen to know a licensed architect that can draw up some plans that I need for a conditional use permit (City of Sacramento).

    How did things work out with your1B/1BA unit? Did you end up doing a short term rental with it? One of the units in the triplex is listed on AirBnB and so far it has worked out well for us. Your numbers are pretty accurate.

    Kind regards,

    Francis

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    Hi @Marie Tanjuatco

    Unfortunately, I did not close on this deal due to unforeseen circumstances. It would have been a great deal especially with the continued rent growth. However, back in the market now so happy to hear about any potential deals. :)

    While working on the downtown projects (pre-covid), I was working directly with Kuchman Architects. I worked directly with Gary. They are very knowledgeable with city requirements in Downtown, and also have a lot of experience with Multi-family units. 

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    I was thinking the same thing as Myka Artis. Can you promote it for 'Traveling Doctors. Nurses, and for people in the medical field. I think, unfortunately, that the city sees the potential for this type of industry and refuse to give a little, now in this trying time of the Pandemic. I know of a person who is an ambulance driver here in Sacramento and he sometimes has been told that his services are needed in another state. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.