Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 14 votes
My wife and I are moving to Jacksonville, Florida from Las Vegas and we are closing on our first duplex on November 6th. We will be living in one side and renting out the other. The home is an 1940's concrete structure elevated off ground by concrete blocks. We are going to be in the 32205 zip code for those familiar with the area. My question is, do I need flood insurance in addition to my normal home insurance? My agent quoted me at $37/additional per month.
Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 49 votes
7y
Can check the exact address on FEMA flood map. If you're financing, lender probably requires you to buy if you're in zone AE or VE. If so, an elevation certification may mitigate how much it would cost. Up to you if not. My property in 32205 has not been flooded since I purchased in 2014, but your mileage may vary depending on where exactly your place is.
Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
7y
@Luke Marlar Something to look at is the FloodiQ site where you can add your address and see what kind of risk you are in for your property. Depending on where you are in 32205, Avondale is the highest point of 32205. Here is a site to look at the height of the area.
Please let me know when you get to Jax, love to see your project! - Jack
Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 14 votes
7y
Thanks @Jack Bobeck for this info! Looks like I am at minimal risk for flooding so I will probably hold off for now. Would love to connect when I get to Jacksonville, shooting for mid December as of now.