Is this a good buy for East Point, GA?

Is this a good buy for East Point, GA?

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 283 votes

Hi there,

Found what appears to be a great house for our 5th investment property - a 5bd/2bath a few blocks from MARTA (Atlanta's "subway") and 2 stops from the airport. There is an upstairs loft with two additional rooms that could be used as bedrooms or a second living room + bedroom. House is a 1920s 2 story brick in the Jefferson Park area of East Point (Atlanta) on Harris st, near the medical center.

They were asking $99.9k and we agreed on $90k. ARV: $120k(?).  It needs $10-15k of work to be rentable as all of the electrical needs to be replaced.

We rent exclusively to commuting airline personnel so the main concerns are their safety, space, proximity to airport and public transit.

When I run the numbers, they work BUT this is a bigger project and rougher area than we've ever dealt in. We've also heard horror stories about East Point bldg inspectors - very nit picky and hard to work with.  The house next door is boarded up but everything else in the area looks solid, no bars, well kept.  They refuse to come down any more on price.  Should we take the leap or keep looking?

Cost Assumptions
Purchase Price   $ 90,000
Improvements   $ 15,000
Closing Costs   $ 4,500
Total Cost   $ 109,500
ARV   $ 120,000
   
Revenues   Monthly
Rental Income   $ 2,400
Vacancy/Loss Rate 25%
Vacancy/Loss Value $ (600)
Gross Income   $ 1,800
   
Expenses   30%
Net Income   $ 1,260
   
Cap rate    
Gross Rent Monthly $ 2,400
Annually $ 28,800
Effective Gross Rent (minus vacancies)   $ 21,600
NOI (Effective Gross Rent Minus Operating Overhead)   $ 21,112
CAP rate = NOI/Total Acquisition Costs. GOAL: Cap rate of at least 5%   19%
0Reply
97 views

Most Popular Reply

Olympia, WA · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 10 votes
9y

Hi Ericka,

I have a rehab in East Point...it has been the greatest horror story of my investing career.  I'd never invest there again.  What you've heard about the City of East Point has been what I've experienced.  Very challenging so you'd need the right contractor to navigate through that process.  One caveat...I'm an out of state investor so I have some hurdles right out of the gate.  You're local so I assume you'd be able to keep close tabs on any project.  Huge advantage.

Looks like you have some rental experience, so I'm guessing you are confident in the $2,400/month.  Seems high to me, but it is a popular location for flight personnel and the Woodward Academy.

I know a great REA and East Point/College Park is her specialty.  She's super cool and will help you out.  Give her a call before you decide anything.

Message me tomorrow and we can chat and I'll give you her info.

Thanks, Jake

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Olympia, WA · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Hi Ericka,

    I have a rehab in East Point...it has been the greatest horror story of my investing career.  I'd never invest there again.  What you've heard about the City of East Point has been what I've experienced.  Very challenging so you'd need the right contractor to navigate through that process.  One caveat...I'm an out of state investor so I have some hurdles right out of the gate.  You're local so I assume you'd be able to keep close tabs on any project.  Huge advantage.

    Looks like you have some rental experience, so I'm guessing you are confident in the $2,400/month.  Seems high to me, but it is a popular location for flight personnel and the Woodward Academy.

    I know a great REA and East Point/College Park is her specialty.  She's super cool and will help you out.  Give her a call before you decide anything.

    Message me tomorrow and we can chat and I'll give you her info.

    Thanks, Jake

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 283 votes
    9y

    Hi Jake,

    Thanks for the info.  I will reach out tomorrow to learn more about your experience. 

    My REA is an East Point expert (she lives there and flips houses there) and says this is a good buy, but even she admits that the inspectors in EP are tricky and there is a lot of red tape.  Our rental income estimate is higher than market rate b/c of our tenant stock of pilots/flight attendants...if we went with standard EP tenants we'd maybe get $1100 or $1200 max.  

    The Altanta market is tricky so all input is greatly appreciated.  This would be our second ATL investment, 5th overall.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hi Ericka and others, Local advice is best if from boots on the ground. Join the local REIAs based on how many folks are really doing deals and the number of old timer experts. The REIA I've settled on have lots of landlords and flippers working these areas.

    The biggest problem is in under estimating rehab costs and time to complete.  A total electrical replacement including meter box,poll, and breaker box and house wiring could easily be $10k.  You have to have inspected BEFORE you close up the walls.   Then the wall work, plumbing, paintinng, carpet, new HVAC.  Sounds more like a $30k rehab too me.   New windows and some doors?   

    The worst scenarios happen when; a new person hooks up with an agressive wholesaler agent (there's companies of such agents) they bring in their contractor who gives unrealistically low rehab costs, then the ARV examples are not appropriate. These deals put the investor under water before completion. But for a rental this can be tolerated as long as the hard money loan can be REFIed out into a 30yr perm financing and get by the appraisal. Just offering tips of where things can go wrong.

    Local REIA friends offer to walk your deals.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I live in the Jefferson Park neighborhood a couple blocks from there. Your ARV looks low based on many of the recent flips we've seen- we are seeing 3bd/2bath's at ~$200k at the interior of the neighborhood.

    East Point is in general a very poor investment, with some small localized exceptions- Jefferson Park is one of the gems.  Harris is on the border of Jefferson park, so it does put you at the front lines of East Point's crime, much of which emanates from the high school across the street from the property you are looking at.  One of the big challenges with East Point is that the local government is very hard to work with- you need a GC who has experience navigating their system and who knows the inspectors.  The horror stories you have heard are correct.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Numbers look good. How do you source pilots and flight attendants? 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 283 votes
    9y

    @Benjamin Emerson very enlightening that you feel, as an EP resident, that East Point is generally a bad investment. You're absolutely correct that this property is right on the border of Jefferson Park, which is why I'm conservative on ARV.

    Do you have a GC or electrician that you like in the area?  

    @Curt SmithWe'll need the electric done plus impacted walls repaired and one broken window repaired. Everything else (roof, windows, interior remodel, HVAC, plumbing) is good to go/less than 2 years old.  Not looking forward to working with the EP inspectors, however.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Ericka G. I really enjoy living here, but I wouldn't want to invest here just due to having to deal with the inefficiencies of the city.

    I don't have a GC that's compatible with East Point, but I could give you the names of the REA's that are the major players in the neighborhood.

  • Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 313 posts · 207 votes
    9y

    The airline employees tend to live south of the airport or farther north. East Point is not considered very attractive to renters right now. The city owns the utility company so deposits are extremely high and rates are pricey. I will echo the crowd on the inspectors/plan reviewers at the city they seem to enjoy torturing people. Also the boarded up home is a huge negative.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 283 votes
    9y

    @Benjamin Emerson - thanks, would love to get the names of the local players you'd recommend.  I've been working with Alice Williams of A&T Realty and she seems very in the loop on all the nuances of EP, CP, an Hapeville - she's been pretty candid on which blocks/pockets are solid and which are risks.  We've also been looking in Hapeville pretty extensively.

    @Stan Sugarman - these are all good points.  we know there are other similar airline pads in EP that seem to be working ok, but the boarded up house is definitely a big concern.  We looked into buying it too but it isn't on the market...

    Such a bummer that the local government makes it difficult for owners and investors to get things done, especially since this property will need much more work than any of the other deals we've done in cities that were easy to work with.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Ericka G., sent you a PM with the names of the agents who are the clear winners in Jefferson Park.  I hope this helps!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 283 votes
    9y

    @Benjamin Emerson  Thanks! So odd, I don't see anything in my inbox...maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?  Are you allowed to post the names here in the discussion?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 283 votes
    9y

    Quick update.  @Benjamin Emerson - spoke with Mary Ann and she was leukwarm on the deal/location.  She said it could probably work for our flight crew rental model BUT that the house is in the rough pocket of Jefferson Park, so we'd need to be in it for the long haul to see appreciation.  Thanks for the reco, she was very helpful.

    I also posted a dummy ad for the property on our normal tenant finding sites and have gotten a TON of response from large families who want the house but not a peep from our usual pilot/FA sources (though granted this is a bad time of month to get a response from that crowd).  

    Overall, I'm thinking that perhaps this isn't the right location/deal for what we're trying to do.

    The folks who have called about the dummy ad are super eager, willing to pay $1150-$1300, but none of them sound very desirable (large families with 4-6 kids, credit issues, etc)...

    I just heard a successful investor say last night to stop waiting for the perfect deal - if it is 90% right it is a go.  This feels like it's right on the cusp of 90% but I'm hesitating to pull the trigger as I want to feel more sure about this.  Is there always an element of fear/doubt when doing a bigger riskier deal than before or should I just move on?

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Ericka G. Jefferson Park is its own animal. I think you should keep researching the deal verify the elementary school. ARV sounds low too based upon the flips being sold there. I'd prefer Hapeville over East Point, but I'm no expert on the area.

  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 183 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    just wanna chime in 

    A total electrical replacement including meter box,poll, and breaker box and house wiring could easily be $10k. You have to have inspected BEFORE you close up the walls. Then the wall work, plumbing, paintinng, carpet, new HVAC. Sounds more like a $30k rehab too me

    cant say i agree with this .. shouldn't cost 10k for wiring etc 

    sounds like some of your are being robbed by your GC... contact me anytime and maybe i can help you. Happy New Year.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 283 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Jay Ragland very good point - in all fairness, the electrician did say we could find someone to do the job for $6-7k...all the other stuff beyond wall repair work after electrical has been done.  There are also some overgrown trees that need to be cut back and we'd need to put in appliances.

    I think we're going to pass on this one and keep looking... 

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    East point seems to be up and coming. Have you seen the redevelopment plans posted on Curbed. Also how do you source renters that work at the airport?  

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Ericka - did you ever purchase in East Point? How did the investment play out? thank you. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.