Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 6 votes
So I recently received my first water bill from the City of Chicago. My building does not have a meter so I am billed the standard rate for a 2 unit building, it was over $900. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on whether or not to change over to a meter. I know the city is doing their best to force all non-metered residences to metered with the extremely high flat rate bill.
I also have studio garden unit, but the city still considers the building a 2 unit.
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
11y
@Patrick Howe - Chicago is one of the only major cities which does not require owners to have a water meter. But they are pushing to have owners voluntarily install one and it is free to do. The program guarantees that your water bill will not go above what it was the year before you added the meter, and that guarantee is good for 7 years.
Non metered water is charged at an unlimited rate and billed every 6 months. When I was non metered my annual water cost was $1950
Once I got metered I was billed every other month and my average water cost is about $600 a year
Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
11y
900 bucks for two units? Is that a month? My head is spinning over that amount.
Here in Houston (yeah it's not Chicago) the water bill for a SFR runs $30-$50 a month. I can't imagine any scenario where the water in Chicago would cost $450 a unit.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 0 votes
11y
Hey Patrick. I know the city is forcing its residents to get water meters what can you do. I have a three flat and my water bill average about $130 to $200 every two months. Single family $400 for 4-5 months non-metered and about $30-$40 every two months meter. Also check to see if you have leaky toilets and dripping faucets.
A leaky toilet or dripping faucet will not matter if you are on flat rate billing - though it is a waste of treated water. Our experience in a city {not Chicago} that has both flat rate (historic) and metered water (new builds, substantial renovation) is that our water bill was lowered 35 - 40% when we switched to metered.
Before making the switch, we converted all units to low-flow fixtures (including flapperless toilets) to ensure we would maximize out savings. As a minimum, you would want to service all your fixtures to ensure you do not have leaky toilets or faucets before you convert ... however, if you have old 5usg or 3usg toilets, you might replace them as well.
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
11y
@Patrick Howe - Chicago is one of the only major cities which does not require owners to have a water meter. But they are pushing to have owners voluntarily install one and it is free to do. The program guarantees that your water bill will not go above what it was the year before you added the meter, and that guarantee is good for 7 years.
Non metered water is charged at an unlimited rate and billed every 6 months. When I was non metered my annual water cost was $1950
Once I got metered I was billed every other month and my average water cost is about $600 a year
Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
@Patrick HoweWe convert our properties to new meters as we close and the old ones we own we do a few each month. The large bill you received should be a prepayment so if you submit to add a meter to the property you will get a credit back on your acct. To change it to a meter is free and the city guarantees your metered bill won't exceed your non metered bill for a year or two.
Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
11y
The city has a main meter. So let's say a neighborhood that is supplied along one large mane uses X amount of water. Then the city deducts all the metered properties from it. Let's say that is Y.
So what is left is X-Y = Z. So Z is the remaining balance. Then they divide that among the non-metered in that area, and then average it out and bill you accordingly. So while your property might be good and has no leaks, you will share the burden of a building that does.
Financial Advisor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2012 · 150 posts · 66 votes
11y
@Patrick Howe I don't have the figures in front of me, but I was pretty surprised at how much I saved once I had the meter installed. If I remember correctly, I believe they market the meters with some sort of guarantee that your bill will be lower for a certain time frame. Just make sure you don't have any leaky faucets or running toilets as if your meter is continually running for two payment cycles, you lose the guarantee.
I just purchased a SFH in Chicago as a rental property. The unit was just occupied 2 weeks ago and I just got a water bill yesterday for $786.00. Non-Metered. I called and the lady on the phone stated this is the amount that is billed every 6 months regardless of water consumption. She stated if I get the meter installed the bill could go up or down and it's strictly based off the tenant water usage. I see that you guys recommend switching to the meter. Is that best practice?
I just purchased a SFH in Chicago as a rental property. The unit was just occupied 2 weeks ago and I just got a water bill yesterday for $786.00. Non-Metered. I called and the lady on the phone stated this is the amount that is billed every 6 months regardless of water consumption. She stated if I get the meter installed the bill could go up or down and it's strictly based off the tenant water usage. I see that you guys recommend switching to the meter. Is that best practice?
It's a math problem. What is the metered rate + plus connection fees versus the flat-rate water.
In our areas, when we install low-flow toilets and fixtures and switch to metered water, our bills are typically 30-40% of the flat-rate.
In an SFH, you could/should be passing the water costs through to the tenants, which is another reason to meter the water: Tenant pays according to their consumption.
I can't understand why anyone would not want to have metered water. Businessmen need to know their costs. Metering gives you cost information. Metered accounts get billed every two months, too, so by making the tenant pay, you not only give the tenant an incentive to keep usage down, but have an early warning of possible financial problems. You avoid having to come up with large chunks of money at inconvenient times, too.
Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 172 posts · 38 votes
7y
@Patrick Howe That is a very large bill even if it is for 6 months on 3 unit sized property.
@Dale Stevens Thanks for that information. All our properties are metered, but it is good to know.
@James Williams Did you get a water cert at closing? Part of the closing process in Chicago is to get a cleared water bill from the seller so you don't end up paying their bill. I don't know about non-metered properties since ours all have meters, but unless you are pre-paying, that seems like a crazy amount if you just got the property. Ask your lawyer or agent.
Thanks everyone for the input. I have been told that sometimes Tenants don't pay the water bill and the city of Chicago can put a lien on your property for unpaid water, so I am keeping the water bill to myself. @Jerry N.We did make sure there was no water bill prior to purchase. The city claims this is a semi annual bill and not based on water consumption so it's from Jan to June and then the next one will be from June to Dec for the same amount. so close to 1600 annually for water.. I am going to get a meter and pray that it makes a difference.
Before I got a meter for my single family home, I was paying almost $900 a year, and this was before taxes and garbage fee were added to the bill. Now with a meter, I pay about half what I was paying before, and that's including the tax and garbage fee.
I've heard that the City of Chicago got fined for not having metered water options for residents, I presume by the EPA? As recently as 12 years ago, water was $300/ a year for a SFH. Mayor Rahm updated the system, which was in dire need of updates, and hence, the MUCH higher bills. This includes the 110 + Year old sewer and water mains, and removing the old lead ones as well.
Meters are being made mandatory, so get them now while you still get a small bonus like a rain barrel, etc.
Our first year in a 2 Flat in 2013, the unmetered bill was about $1250/year. Once a meter was installed that year, our costs went to about $63/a month for the 2 flat.
In our second 2 Flat, we got a 6 month bill in Feb 2019 for $1175 ish (this is minus the garbage fees that are now included). A meter has been installed this month, after a backlog. They guarantee your bill won't be higher than the unmetered price, so there is no reason to wait- save the $$$ asap.
Keep in mind that you are charged for the # of feet wide and long your lot is, how many hose spigots you have, how many toilets you have, and I think possibly tubs/showers?? It's listed on the back of the bill.
Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 48 votes
7y
We just switched to a meter on a 2-flat with a garden last year. When you have the City install the meter, they guarantee that the rate will not be more than the un-metered amount you would have paid for a period of 7 years (https://www.metersave.org/). The city installs the meter for free and you are guaranteed not to pay any more than you are already paying - you almost have nothing to lose by switching to the meter (and potentially lots to save).
"Keep in mind that you are charged for the # of feet wide and long your lot is, how many hose spigots you have, how many toilets you have, and I think possibly tubs/showers?? It's listed on the back of the bill."
--------------------------------
That's for the unmetered account. Metered accounts are billed on actual use, regardless of water items.
Rental Property Investor · Naperville, IL · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 13 votes
7y
I have a 2 flat on the North side in Rogers Park and it's $160 for two months, so it's around $80 per month. BTW, Chicago's water bill now covers garbage and sewers, so it went up dramatically over the last 3 years. If you're over a 4 flat you need to get your own private garbage service.
The 2 flat is metered so it changes slightly for each month based on tenant water usage. I should look at adding a second meter and hot water heater and move the water bill over to the tenants so I could save almost $1000 a year.
"The 2 flat is metered so it changes slightly for each month based on tenant water usage. I should look at adding a second meter and hot water heater and move the water bill over to the tenants so I could save almost $1000 a year. "
-------------------------------------------------
You'll have to branch your service line before the meters in order to do that, and alter the sources for your lays for the second apartment. Should not be too much of an expense, but count on a few thousand dollars, anyway.
It's pretty unusual to be a renter and have to pay for water in Chicago, FYI, so that may deter a lot of good tenants. Speaking from an 18 year stint as a renter myself, I saw one place that wanted to charge us for water, and we left.
Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
@Patrick Howe - Just follow the advice of @Brie Schmidt and the link she provided. It is in your best interest to get your water metered and the landlord will almost ALWAYS pay for the water in Chicago. Just to reinforce what others said, it's free and guaranteed to be less than without a meter for 7 years.
Aurora, IL · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 29 votes
7y
I am looking at all the comments and feeling really Jealous. Here in Oswego the water is supplied by American Water company. My 4 unit building has one meter for the whole building. The monthly water bill for the building is around $450.00. The city water is so cheap compared to what we pay. I know American Water supplies water to Bollingbrook and other areas too.
Does anyone know why their rate is so high compared to city?
Unfortunately, there is no way out for us other than charging the tenant and that then puts us at a disadvantage. Any suggestions?
Hi everyone,
I know I am late to the party, but we also received an outrageously high water bill and I wanted to ask for advice or guidance.
We live in a non-metered single family house.
We called the Chicago Water Department, and they informed us that meter-less properties are billed by estimating water consumption based on certain property parameters established by the county and the Municipal Code of Chicago, and that the only solution to reduce our water billing is to install a water meter.
We then proceed to inquire about having a meter installed, but found out the city has suspended their WaterSave program as of as of 06/28/2019, under the pretext of exploring the possible impact of water meter installation on residential lead levels.
Simultaneously, the city does not allow owners to install meters through an independent third party company, and as a result, we find ourselves trapped in this cycle. On one hand, the city continues to utilize its presumptuous water consumption estimating method that errs on the side of “over consumption” (which they recognize on their WaterSave page’s guarantee statement: “On average, single family homeowners with water meters save 25% on their water bills and two-flat owners can save even more. There is a 7-year guarantee that your bill will not be higher than it was without a meter!”, and on the other hand, the city will not install a meter in our property so that we can get accurate water consumption readings, NOR allows us to install a meter through a private company.
We are basically forced to continue paying for water that we are NOT utilizing if we take into account:
- Water bills from nearby properties with similar characteristics are way lower
- The amount of persons living in the property is two
- The fact that our bills are issued prior to the actual consumption, and do not take into account factors such as weather (no need for watering the yard), time away from the property (vacation), etc.
On a separate note, when we attempted to register our property on the waitlist to get a meter installation (program that is now stopped due to potential lead repercussions), the system declined our property claiming that it was not eligible, although we follow all parameters indicated – a non-metered, residential account for a single family home.
We believe this is a completely unfair, abusive, and unreasonable situation, which might affect other many citizens who are stuck within the same conundrum.
Any suggestions? thanks!
I own a 3 flat and my bills are usually 500.00 every 2 months. I see a few people posting 200.00 every 2 months. Do you have low flow faucets or toilets?