Flipper/Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 38 votes
I'm already set on Luxury Vinyl Plank, just a matter of floating or glued-down and if anyone has any specific suggestions. Preferably available at Home Depot and under 2.5/sf.
Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y
@Francis Rusnak I have done almost 20 apartments in Berwyn and Cicero using the vinyl allure stuff in Khacki Oak from home depot. I put this stuff down, paint the walls revere pewter from Benjamin Moore (I use Behr paint from HD), and paint the trim white. This is essentially the formula everyone is using now in the apartment space, and I think for your B and C class rentals this is perfect.
The "best" floor is to use the original hardwood floors and refinish them. You can sand it or go "passive/chemical. Then, use heavy duty finish or synteko.
It all depends what you want.
Synteko is great stuff but the smell will make you pass out.
This is very true. Proper ventilation and respirators are required. It dries fast, walk able within 24 hours.
I use it in all of my residential projects (the ones where I am refinishing the floors, that is). I just stay outside when they are applying it. :)
Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y
@James Mc Ree I paint all walls the same color. These are studios, one bedrooms and two bedrooms so I don't need to be overly creative. Maybe if this were a single family house I would pick a second color, but for apartments I do everything the same.
Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
1y
@Sarah B. we now manage nearly 450 units. I still would put this flooring in every time. It has held up very, very well. We have been forced to switch sometimes due to HD not carrying it anymore as one of their main floorings.
I am generally a big fan of LVP. I think the right LVP will give you a very long run and will hold up very well.
Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
1y
@Mario Morales we had 21 apartments flood in 2023. All the ones with our cheaper LVP had no damages to the flooring. It has no backing, so there is nothing to be destroyed. The only floors that were destroyed were the LVP ones we put in that had a cork backing in a "higher end" rental.