Just a Chicago girl, living in a complex RE world

Just a Chicago girl, living in a complex RE world

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 6 votes

…she took the CTA goin’ anywhere.

Alright, so maybe it’s not that complex. It’s just because I’m a novice to everything real estate.

Anyways…

Hello, everyone! I’m Chelsea Pfeiffer. A little over a year ago I attended a meet-up that went over the ins and outs of house hacking and I liked the idea, but have kept it on the back burner for some time until now.

Some background info about myself is that I’m a nurse in Chicago. One benefit of working at the place I’m at is that our overtime can be paid out in vacation hours instead of being paid out in cash (example: 4 hours overtime=6 hours vacation time). So, with COVID there was more than the usual overtime available. I achieved the maximum number of hours for that particular benefit and since mid-September am now am taking 4 hour vacations each week. As a result, I’m only working three, 12’s per week to maintain the 40 hour work week full-time status until further notice.

I love being a nurse, so I needed to get creative with that benefit I had available to try and balance my career with the up and coming passion that I’m developing for real estate so as to not get burnt out.

I’m currently doing my best to educate myself about real estate by listening to podcasts, reading books, exploring BiggerPockets, etc. However, there’s a point where I’ll need to just do it and I learn best by doing just that. My bf and I plan to begin the pre-approval process by the end of February, so until then I will do what I can do to become more knowledgeable on the topic. We’ve at least settled on a broker for the purchase: Second City Real Estate-Brie Schmidt.

Since I learn best by being hands-on, I would initially like to be my own property manager for the first property or two. As my portfolio expands, and I say “my” since my bf isn’t as interested in real estate as me and will stop investing after the first property, then I will be looking for trustworthy property managers to assist me with managing my buy and hold multi-family unit approach.

With that said, I want to surround myself with people who have done what I plan to do and are willing to provide insight, shadowing, recommendations, and/or meet with me over coffee (on me! And COVID permitting), so I can be the best and most educated first-time real estate investor I can be.

Cheers,

Chels

2Reply
32 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Chelsea Pfeiffer

    Feel free to direct message me if you want to chat

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Chelsea Pfeiffer you are on the right path here, and you have a great broker to work with in @Brie Schmidt! I would focus on building your network by attending any networking groups you can. Most of them are still virtual, but you can meet other investors and build your network well that way. 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Chelsea Pfeiffer - Kudos to you for seeing the opportunity at your job and working the extra hours.  It will definitely pay off if you use towards real estate like it sounds like you are going to.

    Sounds like you have a solid plan and you definitely have a good broker in @Brie Schmidt, she's one of the best!

    You'll notice the Chicago real estate world is pretty small so if you stay active there are tons of good people who are willing to help.  If you need any specific help, feel free to reach out.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Chelsea Pfeiffer welcome to real estate investing! I sold a house hack deal to a nurse (also BP member) feel free to PM and I could connect you two might be good networking. 

    I always recommend first time investors a house hack as their first deal. This way can get in low down 3.5%. If you buy in a nice part of Chicago it's pretty easy to self manage after you move out using services such as Cozy for rent collection (it's what I use and automates the rent collection). 

  • Calvin OzanickBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Janesville, WI · Member since 2017 · 707 posts · 297 votes
    6y

    Good evening, 

    I would love to chat about the potential and your future goals. I live just a bit north in Janesville, WI. I manage and am an agent in the Rock County, Wisconsin market. If you want to learn a bit more about the market, as we are only 1.5 hours apart. This would allow for us to meet in person or over the phone and connect about your goals and help you set up a plan going forward. 

    Wisconsin Property Managers4.7413 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    6y

    @Chelsea Pfeiffer Welcome!  I read the title and first line of your post to the tune of Journey.  It was awesome lol!  Im glad you introduced yourself here in the forums, doing that is what helps a lot of people get started finally because they do network with like minded people who not only can help them but also hold them accountable to a certain extent.  Like a workout buddy or something.  As a fellow female investor, I'd love to talk shop with you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.