Just bought property w/ huge dead oak tree tangled in power lines

Just bought property w/ huge dead oak tree tangled in power lines

Jon S.Pro Member
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 92 votes

Can I call the utility company to come out and trim around their power lines? Whose responsibility is this? I just bought the property. There is a giant oak tree with branches that are tangled in power lines. The tree seems like it is dead, and it looks like a tree trunk with a few large branches still attached. Most of the tree is gone, but the trunk is huge and these extending branches are also huge. The tree seems to be half on my property, and half on the neighbors property. It's right by the street, but just barely behind my property line. Some of the branches look dead, but there are leaves growing. I can't do much with it in terms of trimming a few branches to make it safer, because power lines and other lines are running through it.  Suggestions? 

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2015 · 266 posts · 156 votes
10y

ok, and always  get other bids too. I remember  when I was doing trees I underbid myself  slightly. Was at 800 should have been about 1000 or 1200. Her high bid was 3800. That 3500 may be the lowest, but I really doubt it 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    10y

    Utility companies are lazy.  Just let the branches fall and tear down the line, then they'll have to fix it.  That's what Entergy told me.

  • Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2015 · 266 posts · 156 votes
    10y

    call the power company they may do it, are you sure it's power? The power is usually  the top line. Lower are cable. If in doubt,  call a tree guy. 

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    call a tree guy to have him cut it down. They deal with this stuff.

  • Jon S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 92 votes
    10y

    @Jeffery Waicak @Alexander Felice  @Justin Fox I did call a tree guy, all he gave was a bid for $3500 to take it down, and was told that was cheap, considering the way the power lines were running through it, but no other advice on getting the utility company to do it. I'm going to call the utility company and see what they say. 

  • Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2015 · 266 posts · 156 votes
    10y

    ok, and always  get other bids too. I remember  when I was doing trees I underbid myself  slightly. Was at 800 should have been about 1000 or 1200. Her high bid was 3800. That 3500 may be the lowest, but I really doubt it 

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    10y

    I would just get cost to rebuild insurance and let the tree alone.  If it falls and crushes the house, win.  If the limbs break and tear down the line the utility company will fix the line, win.  I definitely wouldn't pay 3500 to take it down.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Call power company and they will most likely come. I have a property in Orlando and had the same issue as you. We have OUC and called them and the tree guys came about 4-6 weeks later after leaving a voicemail message and they cut it for free.

  • Jon S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 92 votes
    10y

    @Jennifer Caple Thank you. I'll try that first! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.