Votes
Noah Schettini
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
New to the Baltimore Area - Trying to House Hack

Noah Schettini
  • Baltimore, MD
Posted Dec 21 2017, 11:52

I have recently moved here from Pittsburgh, PA and have grown more serious about house hacking after hearing/reading about it here on the forums. I currently live in Canton of Baltimore City and have started looking at homes in Baltimore City.

My current strategy is to find a house (preferably 3 person) and have 2 roommates to support the financing of the home. I've had trouble finding any sort of duplex or the like in the city, which is why I am looking at the roommate strategy. 

Unfortunately, the prices in the city are a little high ($275,000 - $350,000 for 3 bedroom 2+ bath), based on my analysis (using the tools from BP) to warrant purchase - with a low money down purchase with where rental prices are ($2,300 - $2,600).

Does anyone have any suggestions on locations to check out? I have been searching Upper Fells, Canton, Brewers Hill, and Highland Town. I'm not totally opposed to moving out of the city, but I currently enjoy city life and would like to stay. I was looking for a way to jump in to the REI world with a little less risk using a house hack - but am currently having some trouble. I am still learning and look forward to any advice or comments on my current thoughts.

Looking forward to your thoughts and glad to be here!

Noah

Loading replies...