New to Real Estate · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 5 votes
I am looking for insights and experiences with turning a Baltimore City single family row home into a multi-unit property. This is our current 3 bdr residence in SE Baltimore and I could make more money converting it to a multi-unit. What is the process? How likely am I to succeed with zoning?
Investor · Bethesda, MD · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 15 votes
5y
I am finishing a single family to 4 unit conversion right now at Charles Norh. We've started final inspections. Send me a message if you need more details. I own the building and also I am the architect and GC on the deal.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 253 posts · 178 votes
6y
Check the zoning on the property first to see if there is a possibility. Then call the zoning office to verify. If they are able to verify, then ask for a zoning verification letter so you have something in writing
I am looking for insights and experiences with turning a Baltimore City single family row home into a multi-unit property. This is our current 3 bdr residence in SE Baltimore and I could make more money converting it to a multi-unit. What is the process? How likely am I to succeed with zoning?
Your best bet is to give the Baltimore City zoning office a phone call. You need to confirm that the house is zoned R2, which includes multifamily
Investor · Bethesda, MD · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 15 votes
5y
I am finishing a single family to 4 unit conversion right now at Charles Norh. We've started final inspections. Send me a message if you need more details. I own the building and also I am the architect and GC on the deal.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 0 votes
5y
@Ty Mar Awesome! How difficult was it to get the City to approve the zoning change? I currently own a 3-unit/1 rooming unit in 21217 and would like to make the zoned rooming unit (currently an unfinished basement) a apartment unit? Any experience with this? I have emailed zoning and wanting to hear back.
Investor · Bethesda, MD · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 15 votes
5y
@Jessica Miller each case is different but in my case it wasn't too bad as the zoning already allowed multi unit conversions with min unit sf requirement. They made me go down from 5 to 4 units before approval. When you're at 4 units threshold though, things get complicated with fire protection in Baltimore City. Best of luck.
Baltimore, MD · Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 11 votes
5y
@Jessica Miller, The real hurdle in Baltimore City is the change/conversion from one unit to two or more units, because in many zones that will require a City Council Ordinance. To change your rooming unit to a dwelling unit, it'll just be a matter of determining if there is sufficient density on the lot (and having enough parking; typically one per dwelling unit with some exceptions). You'd take your lot area and divide it by the minimum lot area per dwelling unit based on the zoning district you're in. If you lack sufficient lot area, you can apply to the Board of Municipal and Zoning Appeals (BMZA) for a lot area variance (or a parking variance).
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 0 votes
5y
@Justin Williams Thanks Justin. I just calculated my lot area divided by the R-8 minimum area and it seems to be in compliance. I also submitted application for permit and will be following up with the City for next steps Monday. Thanks Justin !!
I have a 6 bed row home in Baltimore City I would like to convert into a triplex. The property is currently zoned as R6. Can you share with me your experience as far as getting all the permits? Thanks
@Justin Williams Thanks Justin. I just calculated my lot area divided by the R-8 minimum area and it seems to be in compliance. I also submitted application for permit and will be following up with the City for next steps Monday. Thanks Justin !!
I have a 6 bed row home in Baltimore City I would like to convert into a triplex. The property is currently zoned as R6. Can you share with me your experience as far as getting all the permits? Thanks