San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
I'm researching the KC market for a cash-flow property and although it appears to be a good area for this, I found an article that confirmed the hot rental market but moreso in the upscale areas. My price point is $100k max for a SFH but if I find a duplex or multi-family, it'd be ideal. My concern is that with the demand for more amenities and such that this article speaks about, I'd be uncertain I'd find renters.
Any thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated.
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
10y
A $100,000 max will not put you in the upscale rental areas, but it will put you into some very solid ones such as Raytown, Grandview, the waldo area, Olathe, Gladstone and maybe the older parts of Lee's Summit if you're lucky. These areas rent well and don't need spectacular amenities, they just need to be solid, well kept homes or apartments.
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
10y
A $100,000 max will not put you in the upscale rental areas, but it will put you into some very solid ones such as Raytown, Grandview, the waldo area, Olathe, Gladstone and maybe the older parts of Lee's Summit if you're lucky. These areas rent well and don't need spectacular amenities, they just need to be solid, well kept homes or apartments.
Olathe, KS · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
10y
Kansas City is a fantastic market for renters. I live in Olathe and concur that it is rent strong. Lots of jobs, industry and continues to grow. More quality rentals are needed. I am a realtor in Olathe and would love to get into owning a SFH or duplex myself to start my REI career, just don't have the capital yet.
If you need realtor help when you begin to look for properties I. The KC area, would be glad to help!
Investor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 58 votes
10y
@Paxton J., I agree with @Andrew Syrios that $100K is not upscale in KC. For upscale renting, you can go to $200K in areas like Prairie Village, Mission, etc. and rents may press to $2000/mo, but you're starting to skim renters at the higher end. If a renter can afford that rent, they may choose to buy unless there are other circumstances that would prevent them from doing so.