Ballpark cost to rewire home in KC area

Ballpark cost to rewire home in KC area

Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes

I recently purchased a home built in 1960. The panel is updated, but the wiring in the house doesn't have ground wire going to most of the house.

What is the average price to rewire a home.  3 bed, 1.5 bath ranch, 1100 sq ft.  The basement is unfinished so you can get into the upstairs from the basement.  

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 91 votes
6y

@Troy Purvis, we just finished a similar size home. Replaced the electrical panel and most of the wiring, all switches and outlets. It cost us $6,500. Our regular electrician says $6K - $10 to do a house.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 412 posts · 296 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Troy Purvis:

    I recently purchased a home built in 1960. The panel is updated, but the wiring in the house doesn't have ground wire going to most of the house.

    What is the average price to rewire a home.  3 bed, 1.5 bath ranch, 1100 sq ft.  The basement is unfinished so you can get into the upstairs from the basement.  

    I had a 1,532 sq ft single story rewired and it was about $15,000 as I recall. The fastest way to rewire includes punching holes in some of the walls in order to get the wires where they need to be. Also, depending on when the panel was installed it may need to be upgraded so that it accepts AFCI which is now required in all bedrooms and smoke alarms as well per NEC2017.

    But, I got wildly different quotes when I set it out to bid. Getting an electrician to show up is the important thing and lowest bids don't always show up in a timely fashion.

     Here is alink to play with the numbers:
    https://homeguide.com/costs/co...

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 91 votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis, we just finished a similar size home. Replaced the electrical panel and most of the wiring, all switches and outlets. It cost us $6,500. Our regular electrician says $6K - $10 to do a house.

  • Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thanks to Mike S. & Rich.  I appreciate the information.

  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis I can probably connect you with my boots on the ground in KC, he is also a contractor and project manager. please PM me for details if you like. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.