What is your opinion of Cahokia, IL?

What is your opinion of Cahokia, IL?

Real Estate Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes

Is Cahokia a good place to invest in SF rental properties? 

I get the sense that it's similar to a lot of areas in North County – with residents that make enough income to be good tenants, but maybe not enough to be homeowners. Cahokia also seems to have low house prices and relatively low standards for house conditions (meaning lower initial rehab budgets and low maintenance costs between tenants).

Is this accurate? Has anyone here invested in Cahokia? Or know someone who has? What is your opinion of the city?

0Reply
27 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbia, IL · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    I haven't personally invested there but have looked.  I have heard that a lot of out of town investors buy there due to the cheaper prices but have also heard it's hard to find good tenants.  This is all second hand knowledge though.  One thing to keep in mind is that this is St. Clair county so taxes are definitely a lot higher vs the Missouri side.

    Eric

  • Webster Groves, MO · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Most parts of Cahokia are tough; flipping is very difficult to do and rental is more of a cash flow play.  There will likely be very little appreciation in the future.  I think you are correct in that its very similar to the more unsafe areas of North County.

  • Rental Property Investor · Eastchester, NY · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Idk the answer to your question for sure. The ROI s look really good, the prices make it easy to get into the market. But I found a broker who gave me prices of homes that were listed for less on other websites. I won’t mention the name, but just an additional warning to do your due diligence.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.