Targeting rental markets in St. Louis area

Targeting rental markets in St. Louis area

Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 42 votes

I live in North Carolina, but have a lot of family in the St. Louis area.  Some in St. Charles, MO and some in Belleville, IL.  I'm expanding my search of rentals in this area.  I would be looking at properties remotely, and getting help from my family to be my "feet on the ground" to tour properties.  I wanted to get input from locals on the best rental markets in the area of St. Charles, MO and Belleville, IL.  

Thank you!

Ben

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2013 · 194 posts · 100 votes
7y

@Ben Kirchner there are a ton of great rentals St Louis metro area, both the Missouri and Illinois. Belleville is a good market that has some fair deals. Like Lee said, determine your strategy.

However I must say, St. Louis is generally a cashflow market, so I would aim for areas that capitalize that cashflow. The only areas where appreciation are more likely to happy are areas where people are moving... such as areas of the city that are gentrifying/have external factors such as jobs and incentives like Wash U's Live Near Your Work Program. I personally would recommend targeting cashflow properties in these areas that are most likely to turn.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 101 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    Hey Ben! Are you looking for single family or multi-family properties in those areas?

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 42 votes
    7y

    Not limited to one or the other. Not too familiar with the market or whats common/available. I've done several SFR here in North Carolina, as that's more what has been available.

  • Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
    7y

    Hey Ben, I'll send you a PM. Do you know how far from St. Charles city proper you are looking? Targeting student rentals, traditional SFRs, small multi, or larger multi? 
    What's available in the St. Charles market is going to be more SFR with a smattering a medium and large multi's. Not a ton a duplex-quadplexes in the area, at least not nearly as many as in STL city.

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    I just moved up in the area and will be doing a lot of research in the area. It's got a lot of old brick buildings for cheap which I love, but you have to contend with the fact that Saint Louis is the murder capital.

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Hi Ben I've lived in St Louis county most of my life. My primary residence is curewntly in St. Charles. I know the area very well and am looking to get my feet in the door of the industry. St Charles has a lot of good areas. The place has been booming last few years. Pm me with what specifically you're looking for and I might be able to help and learn some things along the way. 

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed  The murder (and crime) rates for St. Louis are skewed.  Since the city is independent of the county, the county’s lower crime rates are not included in St. Louis stats, which makes the murder rate artificially high when compared against other cities.   It would be like splitting Chicago from Cook County and then calculating the individual crime rates for each area separately.  St. Louis is unique in that aspect and IMO hurts the area on a national scale.  There have been discussions over the years regarding a city/county merger, but nothing has moved forward.

    I’m not saying that St. Louis does not have its issues and there are pockets of sketchy areas in both the city and county.   But most of the issues are north and police stats indicate about 2/3rd’s of the murders occur in a specific area of north St. Louis city.  

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2013 · 194 posts · 100 votes
    7y

    @Ben Kirchner there are a ton of great rentals St Louis metro area, both the Missouri and Illinois. Belleville is a good market that has some fair deals. Like Lee said, determine your strategy.

    However I must say, St. Louis is generally a cashflow market, so I would aim for areas that capitalize that cashflow. The only areas where appreciation are more likely to happy are areas where people are moving... such as areas of the city that are gentrifying/have external factors such as jobs and incentives like Wash U's Live Near Your Work Program. I personally would recommend targeting cashflow properties in these areas that are most likely to turn.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.