Do you need boots on the ground in St. Louis?

Do you need boots on the ground in St. Louis?

Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 72 votes

Hello, I was wondering if there might be any out of state investors who need someone in St. Louis to be their boots on the ground?  I'm just beginning my investment journey and thought volunteering in this way might be of help to an out of state investor and might give me some insight and experience.  Anyway, if you'd like to discuss, feel free to send me message.  Happy to drive neighborhoods, or walk a property, give you a local opinion, etc.

1Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · All over · Member since 2019 · 119 posts · 26 votes
7y

Hey Matt,

I'll keep you in mind. I plan on buying another property in four months or so.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · All over · Member since 2019 · 119 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Hey Matt,

    I'm an out of state investor living in CA, but am originally from STL. Probably will move back in 2-3 years if my startup doesn't pan out. 

    I've always wondered if there's any parts of North St. Louis City worth investing in. My father's been my 'boots on the ground' thus far, but refuses to check out any properties in that neck of the woods, even in North County! 

    What do you think?

    Pete

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 72 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Kozlowski:

    Hey Matt,

    I'm an out of state investor living in CA, but am originally from STL. Probably will move back in 2-3 years if my startup doesn't pan out. 

    I've always wondered if there's any parts of North St. Louis City worth investing in. My father's been my 'boots on the ground' thus far, but refuses to check out any properties in that neck of the woods, even in North County! 

    What do you think?

    Pete

    Hi Pete, thanks for your reply.  I think it depends on your goal and what your desired deal metrics are.  What sort of investments are you looking for?  

    In any case, the area is fairly large and there’s a lot of variability.  I’d be happy to drive through any areas you’re particularly interested in, and check out specific properties if there’s some on your radar.  

    For sure there are areas that I personally think are no-go under any circumstance, but there are certainly areas that would be attractive depending on what you’re after.

  • Investor · All over · Member since 2019 · 119 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Hi Matt,

    I posted on just this very topic on another post on the STL forum. One guy gave me a list of zip codes in North County which look safe enough to invest in, but he gave me one (63135) that I asked him if it was too sketchy to invest in, but never received a response. What do you know about that area?

    Pete

  • Los Angels, CA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Kozlowski:

    Hey Matt,

    I'm an out of state investor living in CA, but am originally from STL. Probably will move back in 2-3 years if my startup doesn't pan out. 

    I've always wondered if there's any parts of North St. Louis City worth investing in. My father's been my 'boots on the ground' thus far, but refuses to check out any properties in that neck of the woods, even in North County! 

    What do you think?

    Pete

     Hi Peter, 

    I used to live in St Louis, and am living in east bay.
    Since the real estate market has been heating for years, and the second tier market is hard to get a good ROI, I am heavily considering about St Louis, or St Charles.

    Let me know your though.  

  • Investor · All over · Member since 2019 · 119 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Hey George, STL is good if you have boots on the ground, but if I didn’t I’d be investing in areas where there’s been more population growth in the past five years. 

  • Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Matt - I think this is a great way to build some relationships.  Good idea.

    I am curious your thoughts on the St. Ann suburbs right by the airport?  Lots of sfh in the 900sqft range. Is it 1.) safe? 2.) practical to live there and commute to jobs?

  • Los Angels, CA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Kozlowski:

    Hey George, STL is good if you have boots on the ground, but if I didn’t I’d be investing in areas where there’s been more population growth in the past five years. 

    If I want to stay in the bay area for more than 3 years, I would buy something in Oakland in a heart beat.
    I was looking for something in Dallas earlier and could not get something in good cash flow, so I am looking at St Louis again to see any good opportunity. 

    My strategy is looking the property close to College, airport or hospital; the faculties or workers need a place to stay and have income to pay, despite the population decreasing in STL.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 72 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Kozlowski:

    Hi Matt,

    I posted on just this very topic on another post on the STL forum. One guy gave me a list of zip codes in North County which look safe enough to invest in, but he gave me one (63135) that I asked him if it was too sketchy to invest in, but never received a response. What do you know about that area?

    Pete

    Hi Pete, sorry for the delay in responding.  I honestly don't know much at all about that area, other than Ferguson is in that zip code, which is where the Michael Brown incident occurred.  Without much first hand knowledge, the impression I have is that it's a working class area, but not nearly as rough as some parts of the inner city.  

    If you have a specific property you'd like me to drive by, or even a street/couple block area, I'd be happy to drive by and take some video and pictures and give you my general impressions.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 72 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Algava:

    Matt - I think this is a great way to build some relationships.  Good idea.

    I am curious your thoughts on the St. Ann suburbs right by the airport?  Lots of sfh in the 900sqft range. Is it 1.) safe? 2.) practical to live there and commute to jobs?

    Hi David, sorry for the delay in responding.  I don't know that area very well firsthand, but my impression from living in STL for about 12 years is that that area is a solid working class area -- kind of right in the middle of the spectrum.  I'd be happy to drive by a property/street if you'd like and take some pics/video and give you my impressions if that would help.

  • Investor · All over · Member since 2019 · 119 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Hey Matt,

    I'll keep you in mind. I plan on buying another property in four months or so.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 72 votes
    7y

    Hi you guys - thank you to those who have reached out.  It has been a blast helping and learning along the way.  Please holler, happy to help.  The more specific and actionable it is, the better I can probably help.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Matt Ferch How is it going? I’m a real estate investor from Houston Texas, I’m looking into the St Louis market and I would love to connect with you and share my experiences with you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.