Interesting NYT Article on Missoula and Other Western Cities

Interesting NYT Article on Missoula and Other Western Cities

Developer · Missoula MT · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 84 votes

Super interesting article from NYT, that focuses on the development of places like Missoula. The most interesting quote was: 

"According to the Frontier Institute, a Montana-based libertarian think tank, a city like Missoula, which is still more middle class and affordable than Bozeman, has exclusionary zoning — restrictions on town homes and multifamily units, minimum lot requirements — that make it difficult for young families and working-class newcomers to get a foothold in the city. That suggests that Missoula’s relative middle-class-ness won’t last: If I were a Silicon Valley or Seattle exile, I would already be looking there rather than Bozeman. If I were a property speculator, I’d be buying there right now."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/27/opinion/yellowstone-mountain-west.html

2Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 62 posts · 68 votes
4y

This is great information, thanks Keith. We have a couple clients who have already made the move from Seattle to Missoula this year! A sign for more to come? Only time will tell. Keeping our eyes on the market there. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 62 posts · 68 votes
    4y

    This is great information, thanks Keith. We have a couple clients who have already made the move from Seattle to Missoula this year! A sign for more to come? Only time will tell. Keeping our eyes on the market there. 

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 975 votes
    4y

    What are the economic drivers of Missoula? What companies/government entities provides the jobs there? 

    I know University of Montana is there but that's all I know about the town. 

  • Developer · Missoula MT · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 84 votes
    4y

    Healthcare is the next largest industry after the University of Montana, Missoula has the only Level II Trauma Center in Western Montana. Tourism is a pretty major part of the economy, as Missoula is one of the gateway communities to Glacier, as well as a transit point between Yellowstone and Glacier. Lumber is still a part of the local economy, but a shrinking one. I'd also say remote workers are an increasing part of the local economy, I come into contact with a lot of them through renting my units. People love how Missoula has open space for recreating in pretty much every direction, so you're never more than a few minutes from a trailhead. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Keith Miller:

    Thanks for sharing. I'm in Cody, Wyoming and have some of the same thoughts.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Keith Miller:

    Shat suggests that Missoula’s relative middle-class-ness won’t last

    So what is going to happen? The class structure will go up or down?

    I am not really sure what they are saying here.

  • Developer · Missoula MT · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 84 votes
    3y

    @Travis Elliott They're mostly making the argument that the middle class in Missoula will be priced out, and only expensive homes will be left. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.