Hi I recently went to Vegas and saw some condos in the area in the 100-200k range.
I am currently looking for recommendations for buyers agents to help me with the purchasing process; I am working with an agent at the moment, but the communication is not very good so I am looking for a new one.
This would be my first real estate property (for investment). *I am based out of state in the Bay Area in California, where property is very expensive.
Thank you.
Hello @Andrew Njoo,
Instead of giving you names, I will talk about the skills you will need from your Realtor/Investment team. My intent is to give you the background knowledge you will need to select the right investment team.
Whether you invest locally or remotely, the skills you need are about the same. The only difference is that while you might provide some skills yourself if the property is local, as a remote investor you will need others to provide all the skills. Below is what I consider to be the minimum skills you will need to be successful.

As you can see, I subdivided the required skill sets into four categories:
I put together the following chart to show the value of the Realtor.

The vast majority of Realtors deal with residences or lifestyles and wants: first home, expanding family or downsizing, schools, commute to work, relocation, etc. However, while most Realtors are great for home buyers, they have little or no knowledge of investments. Investing in real estate requires in-depth knowledge of tenant pools, area economics, job growth, demographic changes, understanding and estimating returns, selecting high performance properties and much more. There is little overlap with a residential Realtor except for the paperwork of closing a sale.
Also, do not be confused by Realtors who have sold investments. In most cases, the Realtor sent the investor MLS sheets (almost worthless to an investor) and then made the offer on the properties specified by the client. This does not make a Realtor knowledgeable of investments. What should you look for in a good investment Realtor?
How do you then, from thousands of Realtors in any market, identify a good investment Realtor? The following chart shows a process you could follow. I divided the diagram into Critical Skills and Highly Desirable Skills. If the Realtor does not have ALL the Critical Skills, if they are missing ANY of the skills, find another Realtor. You cannot afford to depend on anyone without all the critical skills.
The Highly Desirable Skills are critical for success, but you can accomplish these tasks with someone other than the Realtor if necessary. For example, if the Realtor does not have the skills to over-watch the rehab, the property manager may provide this skill.

Know that you will have to interview multiple Realtors before you find one with even a portion of the Critical Skills. Do your interviewing via Zoom/Skype. You are going to trust this person with investing a lot of your money, and you will get far more information if you can look the person in the eye than just hear their voice on the phone.
Andrew, I hope this gets you started on finding the Realtor/investment team you need.
Hello @Andrew Njoo,
Instead of giving you names, I will talk about the skills you will need from your Realtor/Investment team. My intent is to give you the background knowledge you will need to select the right investment team.
Whether you invest locally or remotely, the skills you need are about the same. The only difference is that while you might provide some skills yourself if the property is local, as a remote investor you will need others to provide all the skills. Below is what I consider to be the minimum skills you will need to be successful.

As you can see, I subdivided the required skill sets into four categories:
I put together the following chart to show the value of the Realtor.

The vast majority of Realtors deal with residences or lifestyles and wants: first home, expanding family or downsizing, schools, commute to work, relocation, etc. However, while most Realtors are great for home buyers, they have little or no knowledge of investments. Investing in real estate requires in-depth knowledge of tenant pools, area economics, job growth, demographic changes, understanding and estimating returns, selecting high performance properties and much more. There is little overlap with a residential Realtor except for the paperwork of closing a sale.
Also, do not be confused by Realtors who have sold investments. In most cases, the Realtor sent the investor MLS sheets (almost worthless to an investor) and then made the offer on the properties specified by the client. This does not make a Realtor knowledgeable of investments. What should you look for in a good investment Realtor?
How do you then, from thousands of Realtors in any market, identify a good investment Realtor? The following chart shows a process you could follow. I divided the diagram into Critical Skills and Highly Desirable Skills. If the Realtor does not have ALL the Critical Skills, if they are missing ANY of the skills, find another Realtor. You cannot afford to depend on anyone without all the critical skills.
The Highly Desirable Skills are critical for success, but you can accomplish these tasks with someone other than the Realtor if necessary. For example, if the Realtor does not have the skills to over-watch the rehab, the property manager may provide this skill.

Know that you will have to interview multiple Realtors before you find one with even a portion of the Critical Skills. Do your interviewing via Zoom/Skype. You are going to trust this person with investing a lot of your money, and you will get far more information if you can look the person in the eye than just hear their voice on the phone.
Andrew, I hope this gets you started on finding the Realtor/investment team you need.
@Eric Fernwood not all heroes wear capes. The way this information is impressive. I'll will be using this information when I move to las vegas.
@Andrew Njoo
The most important thing to know are the monthly fees with the condos. Don’t be fooled by the low prices and find out afterwards that the fees are $900 a month ( actual price of one such building near the strip )