Cash out Refi, any banks doing them???

Cash out Refi, any banks doing them???

Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes

I’ve got a friend who’s seeking to cash out refi.  This will be a traditional loan / Fannie Mae cash out refi... 

TIAA, Wells Fargo... no cash out refis as they claim “no liquidity” but I’m betting as rates are so low, it’s not in their best interest to do them.

Anyone know of any banks doing them?

0Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris T.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 491 posts · 253 votes
5y

@Ryan Copeland - at the time, a lot of places had shutoff cashout refi on investment properties and was better than my normal mortgage broker could get me. It was 3.75% on a 30 year, no points and cash out up to 75% LTV. The appraisal came in higher than expected and we were able to bump back up to the 75% LTV. They have online quoting that doesn't make you jump through all the hoops which is nice as well. (I have no affiliation other than being a customer)

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    probably need to venture away from big banks. Guarenteed Rate offered me cash out refi, but that was in SEP 2020.

    Things may have changed by now.

  • Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
    5y

    There are many still doing them.  The bigger lenders are usually not the route to take anyways.  They have their positives and negatives, but with a smaller lender you can get more personalized one on one contact.  And usually much better rates/costs.  Where is the property located?

  • Chris T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 491 posts · 253 votes
    5y

    @Jon Q. - I completed a cashout refi back in Sept as well using the online lender Aim Loans for a property here in Charlotte.  Very smooth transaction with no surprises.  They are still quoting cashout refi's on investment properties so definitely worth checking out

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris T.:

    @Jon Q. - I completed a cashout refi back in Sept as well using the online lender Aim Loans for a property here in Charlotte.  Very smooth transaction with no surprises.  They are still quoting cashout refi's on investment properties so definitely worth checking out

    Thx. Are they a National lender?

    I’m looking for Texas and Tennessee.

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @David Kelly:

    There are many still doing them.  The bigger lenders are usually not the route to take anyways.  They have their positives and negatives, but with a smaller lender you can get more personalized one on one contact.  And usually much better rates/costs.  Where is the property located?

    Texas and Tennessee.

    You got good local lenders? 

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Justin Phillips:

    My wife and I just ReFi'd onto the "Life Changer Loan" and it has been awesome! It gives us access to 80% of our equity, and allows us to quickly to pay down principle. We're going to have our property paid off in 4 years, without changing any spending habits! I couldn't believe I hadn't ever heard of it on BP/Podcasts. I've been shouting it from the rooftops after our relator told us about it. I'd definitely recommend checking it out. 

    Thanks! I’m glad that works for you.  But my life is pretty great, and even better not pre-paying loans that are at rock bottom rates... that makes no financial sense. 

  • Chris T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 491 posts · 253 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jon Q.:
    Originally posted by @Chris T.:

    @Jon Q. - I completed a cashout refi back in Sept as well using the online lender Aim Loans for a property here in Charlotte.  Very smooth transaction with no surprises.  They are still quoting cashout refi's on investment properties so definitely worth checking out

    Thx. Are they a National lender?

    I’m looking for Texas and Tennessee.

    Yes, they are based out of California I believe 

  • Samara HuntleyPro Member
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 189 votes
    5y

    @Jon S. All day everyday for my investors.

    Just not through through major corporations. I recommend local smaller banks/lenders. Better terms, communication etc. etc.

    Best of luck!

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Samara Huntley:

    @Jon S. All day everyday for my investors.

    Just not through through major corporations. I recommend local smaller banks/lenders. Better terms, communication etc. etc.

    Best of luck!

    Needed in Texas and Tennessee.

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris T.:
    Originally posted by @Jon Q.:
    Originally posted by @Chris T.:

    @Jon Q. - I completed a cashout refi back in Sept as well using the online lender Aim Loans for a property here in Charlotte.  Very smooth transaction with no surprises.  They are still quoting cashout refi's on investment properties so definitely worth checking out

    Thx. Are they a National lender?

    I’m looking for Texas and Tennessee.

    Yes, they are based out of California I believe 

     In Downey.  Thanks we’ll try them.

  • Member since 2021 · 58 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    Smaller community banks usually have a lot more latitude than bigger banks. Try finding one in your community. I had to search around.

  • Mortgage Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 657 posts · 275 votes
    5y

    Texas is easy. Reach out if you want to chat about it.

  • Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 440 posts · 256 votes
    5y

    @Jon Q. You're not understanding the concept, I'd just recommend that you educate yourself on the program. I was responding to your question about accessing equity :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 244 posts · 275 votes
    5y

    @Chris T. do you feel like you got a good rate?

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 244 posts · 275 votes
    5y

    @Justin Phillips you did this on an investment property?

  • Chris T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 491 posts · 253 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Copeland - at the time, a lot of places had shutoff cashout refi on investment properties and was better than my normal mortgage broker could get me. It was 3.75% on a 30 year, no points and cash out up to 75% LTV. The appraisal came in higher than expected and we were able to bump back up to the 75% LTV. They have online quoting that doesn't make you jump through all the hoops which is nice as well. (I have no affiliation other than being a customer)

  • Rental Property Investor · Surprise, AZ · Member since 2020 · 405 posts · 179 votes
    5y

    @Jon S. I would say your best bet would be to go with a local bank/credit union.

    They are typically a lot more lenient especially if they are able to do a portfolio loan

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Jon S. Yes, plenty of banks in the market are doing cash out refinances as long as cash flow and leverage is adequate. Let me know if I can help.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Justin Phillips

    I assume you then have to pay on that!? Any chance you can give more information on this type of loan?

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    Thanks all!

    Yes, well qualified. Plenty of income, cash flow.  I’m looking for a traditional Fannie Mae cash out refi for my brother @ low rates.  He’s @ 800+ credit, sufficient income, well qualified.

    If you can offer this or know someone who can, please message me their full contact info, or list them here for everyone.  Thx!

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    5y

    @Jon S. Cash out Refi banks are all over the place, might just have to get in at a more local level rather than the big banks. Try credit unions too, as they’re more flexible. You could also look into using a mortgage broker, who might have connections to several banks and available loan products.

  • Rental Property Investor · Inlet Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 199 posts · 111 votes
    5y

    @Jon S.

    Working on a few right now. Cash-out refinances are available.

    Search for local lenders. We'll underwrite the loan to FNMA standards (conforming). Then eventually the loan gets sold over to a bigger mortgage company like Wells Fargo or Chase or Bank of America.

    I've never had personal success with dealing with Wells Fargo or Bank or America directly when it comes to mortgages. I've always found better terms with local lenders (and then they usually offer me a job, haha!).

    But there are tons of things that can derail a loan especially with new COVID guidelines and overlays. So nothing is a slam dunk. But very few instances become impossible so there's almost always a way to work it out.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    I am closing on two cash out refinances after lunch today. It is a local bank, but they are just brokering standard conventional Fannie mortgages. I am paying .125 premium on the interest rate over straight refinance. I believe anyone using Fannie would follow their underwriting standards. Maybe the issue is regional concern over property values. I would assume Wells Fargo is just reselling the mortgages, so I can't imagine they would care about long term property values. Interesting. Have your friend talk to other banks and let us know what you find out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Westminster, MD · Member since 2014 · 165 posts · 221 votes
    5y

    @Jon S.

    Just closed one yesterday. Yes banks are doing them.

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    Thanks all!

    Looks like we got a few willing to do cash out refi’s, and yes mostly local banks, not the big 3.   I appreciate the referrals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.