Searching for Boots on the Ground - Columbus & Cleveland Ohio

9 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I have access to multiple streams of cash and looking to build my own rehab team in either Cleveland or Columbus Ohio. I have been investing out there for several years, but am now looking for true partnership of boots on the ground to do light rehabs for my fix and hold strategies.

Looking to either partner ($$$) or simply find a trusted, consistent source of contractors in either city that can assist with my fix and hold needs.

Best,
Pau

Originally posted by @Paul Bryzek :

Hi Everyone,

I have access to multiple streams of cash and looking to build my own rehab team in either Cleveland or Columbus Ohio. I have been investing out there for several years, but am now looking for true partnership of boots on the ground to do light rehabs for my fix and hold strategies.

Looking to either partner ($$$) or simply find a trusted, consistent source of contractors in either city that can assist with my fix and hold needs.

Best,
Pau

Cleveland is a great market to get into! Best of luck to you!

Contractors - ugh. I think this is one of the hardest parts of investing especially for someone out of town. They don't show up, when they do they don't do what you asked them to, on and on. Finding a good one is rare. 

Checkout a website called Service Sold - it was started here by some TRI C professors here in Cleveland.

It is a reverse auction for trades. You post up photos and a description of the work and the most you are willing to pay and contractors bid on the work - only they bid down. The contractors have ratings (sort of like ebay) and you don't have to take the lowest bidder. The smart ones on there post a lot of photos of their work so you can get a feel for what they can do. You can scroll through it to see other jobs posted and won to see what works and get a feel for what you could expect to pay for some common jobs.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but the guy who runs it is in my REIA group and he is totally dedicated to making it work.

Maybe try it for a couple of small jobs and see if it works for you.

@Michael Norris - Thanks for the tip! I signed up and will check it out, contractors as a service, love the concept. If possible would be interested to get in contact with the guy who runs the service as well. 

I am willing to be onsite back and forth to oversee the project, but ideally would have a system in place to negate this need.

His name is Mike Dennis but I can’t post his phone # on the app.

This post has been removed.

Welcome aboard Paul.

HI have boots on the ground in toledo but I would love a relable contact in cleavland 

@Paul Bryzek   If you plan to use a property manager for the "hold" phase of your strategy, many PMs are willing to project-manage a rehab for you. Pricing structures differ quite a bit. 

There are turnkey providers who's business model is to either find and rehab, or help you rehab after you've purchased. I'm guessing those are better for more involved rehabs vs pure cosmetics.

Some PMs will simply charge you an hourly rate, and some will charge you a markup, and some will use their internal (paid) employees to do most of the work and charge you for their time. Some will do some combination of any of the above. :)

Anyways, in many cases, rehabbing at a distance is going to cost you a bit more. 

I'd love to hear how you end up doing it, so please keep us updated!

Hope that helps.

James

Hi Paul, and everyone else.  I have a great GC in Cleveland I can highly recommend.  Extraordinarily knowledgeable, decades of experience and professional.  Let me know if you or anyone else would like his contact info.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here