investing in Cincinnati Ohio

investing in Cincinnati Ohio

Investor · layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 13 votes

looking to get into the ohio market looking at cincinnati and wondering what areas to invest in and what areas to stay away from. also looking to build a team so any recommendations on lenders contracters agents and property managers would be greatly appreciated. 

6Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 42 votes
4y

Hi Todd,

Choosing areas to invest in are really going to depend on what your strategy is.  

I personally like higher quality areas with higher likelihood of appreciation, but a little bit less cashflow.  Therefore I invest in neighborhoods on the east side of the city (Evanston, Norwood, Madisonville, Pleasant Ridge, Deer Park, Madeira, Kenwood, etc) - my basic rule of thumb is to stay as close to Interstate I-71 as you can.

If you are okay with C,D class areas in exchange for higher cashflow there are neighborhoods on the west side of the city or further away from downtown that can accommdate this.

Downtown neighborhoods (Biz district, pendleton, OTR, Mt adams) are really going to be your higher end plays that can still cashflow enough to cover all of your expenses but CoC is going to be <5%. Downtown is more conducive for short term rentals in building that allow such.

Hope this helps! Reach out if you have any more specific questions.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Single family, multi family or STR?

  • Investor · layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Single family 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 42 votes
    4y

    Hi Todd,

    Choosing areas to invest in are really going to depend on what your strategy is.  

    I personally like higher quality areas with higher likelihood of appreciation, but a little bit less cashflow.  Therefore I invest in neighborhoods on the east side of the city (Evanston, Norwood, Madisonville, Pleasant Ridge, Deer Park, Madeira, Kenwood, etc) - my basic rule of thumb is to stay as close to Interstate I-71 as you can.

    If you are okay with C,D class areas in exchange for higher cashflow there are neighborhoods on the west side of the city or further away from downtown that can accommdate this.

    Downtown neighborhoods (Biz district, pendleton, OTR, Mt adams) are really going to be your higher end plays that can still cashflow enough to cover all of your expenses but CoC is going to be <5%. Downtown is more conducive for short term rentals in building that allow such.

    Hope this helps! Reach out if you have any more specific questions.

  • Jordan FioreBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 169 posts · 145 votes
    4y

    I agree with Jordan on everything he said. I have been seeing a few HUGE 5 bedroom homes coming up in Evanston that need some cash to get them rent ready at low cost. I also have investors that look into specific areas that are up and coming on the west side (College Hill, Westwood(Closest to west side brewery)) Finding a 3-4 bedroom between $100k-$150k is very possible over there. Hope this helps! Reach out if you need any contacts for your team here.

    Home to Investments Group - eXp Realty565 Reviews
  • Austin McClainBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2021 · 347 posts · 602 votes
    4y

    Areas like Cincinnati and Dayton have been great for cash flow with pretty low purchase costs. In Columbus, we're seeing a lot of appreciation growth with moderate cash flow. 

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Jordan Noble this was helpful! I’d love to connect with you as I am also interested in investing in the Cincinnati area but for a multi family in order to house hack as a first time home buyer. I’d love to pick your brain and get your thoughts on how you would or have navigated deals in that area. Please message me

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Cincinnati is a pretty good option, still some appreciation and overall good cash flow. What would be your strategy in that market? @Todd Summers

  • Property Manager · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    Hi Todd, property manager here. Would love to connect through message. Check your inbox. Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 84 posts · 81 votes
    4y

    @Todd Summers

    For the most part if you go west of downtown it gets worse it you go east it gets better.

    If your looking for single family you can still find cheap ones that rent well in Norwood otherwise your in 225k+ range and close to 300k real quick.

    Examples

    A class

    Hyde Park

    Oakley

    Columbia Tusculum

    East Walnut hills

    Mt.Adams

    B class

    Norwood

    Maderia

    Northside

    Kenwood

  • Investor · layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @Brandon Goldsmith im looking to buy 3 bed 2 bath homes that will have postive cash flow on a 15 year note, preferrebly no homes older than the 50s or even 60s would like to be around 7 to 8 cap rate. not to worried about having alot of cash flow now more concerned with paying down equity so it cash flows in 15 years to replace income for retirement.  not sure what your average cap rate is in that area or your c.o.c return is.  would like to get forced appreciation through the brrrr method. looks like property taxes are pretty high out there in the A and B class neighborhoods. 

    @Jeremy Komer thank you for that information i am looking more in the B class Neighborhoods. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 84 posts · 81 votes
    4y

    @Todd Summers

    Not many homes in Cincinnati are that new, maybe a remodel was done in the 50s-70s or even recently but the vast majority of Cincinnati homes are built between 1880-1940 with a big concentration pre- prohibition.

    These Old home are built like tanks and unless they have been really neglected their stone foundations and brick structures stand the test of time. They definitely have some quirks and limits as far as additions go but the core structures themselves I trust more than the wooden, water sensitive, structures I see being built today.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 26 votes
    4y

    I'm a fan of the cash flow in neighborhoods on the west side, but further out. Cheviot, Bridgetown, Delhi. They are all appreciating in value at the same rate as the east side but people just don't realize it. New development is coming up in those areas every month it feels like.

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 1 vote
    3y

    May I resurrect this thread.  I moved from Cincinnati 21 years ago to CA.  Have a couple of investment props in SF and Rocklin but am currently in Cincinnati now and I must say WOW!!

    I used to live on Main St in OTR, at the time, Main was the first developed street there, but if you went a block over, its was night and day.  You would not feel safe walking on Race, Vine, or any of the alleyways.  

    My friend and former Main St roommate was driving me around our old neighborhood and I saw couples walking, a mom pushing a stroller, and people just enjoying the beautiful evening.  I am so happy to see this redev because OTR has some of the most beautiful architecture and interesting buildings. I was looking at OTR 15+ yrs ago, at the time, you could've bought a building (mostly shell) for $15-20K (in these same areas) and they were tax abated...but you had to invest $XXX into renovation...I forgot the numbers, but at the time I wasn't sure of the future of OTR.  Right around that time, a guy named Michael O'Bannon (SP?) got shot and killed in the parking lot we used to park or cars and of course the media made a thing about it and scared off a lot of people.

    My point of this post is that I want to invest back into the city that shaped me (for the good and bad) and was wondering what people thought about Camp Washington.  Could that be the next OTR?  There is some small development there...I know Camp Washington Chili renovated a decade ago (my fav chili parlor) and there is a newer cafe.  I hope they both continue to do well.

    I am here until Wed and would love to hear anyone's thoughts.  I will be doing a drive by later.  Thanks

  • Marco FioreBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 78 posts · 73 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hagar Chung:

    May I resurrect this thread.  I moved from Cincinnati 21 years ago to CA.  Have a couple of investment props in SF and Rocklin but am currently in Cincinnati now and I must say WOW!!

    I used to live on Main St in OTR, at the time, Main was the first developed street there, but if you went a block over, its was night and day.  You would not feel safe walking on Race, Vine, or any of the alleyways.  

    My friend and former Main St roommate was driving me around our old neighborhood and I saw couples walking, a mom pushing a stroller, and people just enjoying the beautiful evening.  I am so happy to see this redev because OTR has some of the most beautiful architecture and interesting buildings. I was looking at OTR 15+ yrs ago, at the time, you could've bought a building (mostly shell) for $15-20K (in these same areas) and they were tax abated...but you had to invest $XXX into renovation...I forgot the numbers, but at the time I wasn't sure of the future of OTR.  Right around that time, a guy named Michael O'Bannon (SP?) got shot and killed in the parking lot we used to park or cars and of course the media made a thing about it and scared off a lot of people.

    My point of this post is that I want to invest back into the city that shaped me (for the good and bad) and was wondering what people thought about Camp Washington.  Could that be the next OTR?  There is some small development there...I know Camp Washington Chili renovated a decade ago (my fav chili parlor) and there is a newer cafe.  I hope they both continue to do well.

    I am here until Wed and would love to hear anyone's thoughts.  I will be doing a drive by later.  Thanks


     Hello Hagar, it is so great to hear you are impressed with OTR as it has changed a ton over the last 20 years. I just shot you a connection! I would love to talk more about Camp Washington and other up and coming areas here in Cincinnati! Feel free to reach out!

    eXp Realty - Marco Fiore Real Estate519 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hagar Chung:

    May I resurrect this thread.  I moved from Cincinnati 21 years ago to CA.  Have a couple of investment props in SF and Rocklin but am currently in Cincinnati now and I must say WOW!!

    I used to live on Main St in OTR, at the time, Main was the first developed street there, but if you went a block over, its was night and day.  You would not feel safe walking on Race, Vine, or any of the alleyways.  

    My friend and former Main St roommate was driving me around our old neighborhood and I saw couples walking, a mom pushing a stroller, and people just enjoying the beautiful evening.  I am so happy to see this redev because OTR has some of the most beautiful architecture and interesting buildings. I was looking at OTR 15+ yrs ago, at the time, you could've bought a building (mostly shell) for $15-20K (in these same areas) and they were tax abated...but you had to invest $XXX into renovation...I forgot the numbers, but at the time I wasn't sure of the future of OTR.  Right around that time, a guy named Michael O'Bannon (SP?) got shot and killed in the parking lot we used to park or cars and of course the media made a thing about it and scared off a lot of people.

    My point of this post is that I want to invest back into the city that shaped me (for the good and bad) and was wondering what people thought about Camp Washington.  Could that be the next OTR?  There is some small development there...I know Camp Washington Chili renovated a decade ago (my fav chili parlor) and there is a newer cafe.  I hope they both continue to do well.

    I am here until Wed and would love to hear anyone's thoughts.  I will be doing a drive by later.  Thanks


  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Hi Hagar, I wouldn't say Camp Washington is the next development area but I would say the Price Hill incline district and near Queen City will be good areas to invest in. A lot of development going on in the areas and also around 8th and State at the bottom of Price Hill. I am new in development and am working to build a team to take on a new up and coming area.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.