Dayton Ohio: Neighborhood info needed

Dayton Ohio: Neighborhood info needed

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 85 posts · 8 votes

Dayton Ohio: How is the neighborhood in the map attached? Notre Dame ave & Leo st.

Evaluating a property in the area and any inputs would be helpful. Please feel free to PM me. 

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Christina CareyPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Dayton, OH · Member since 2010 · 245 posts · 186 votes
8y

@Steven Morris you said "West Dayton and North Dayton". To be clear, are you referring to the north side of town - i.e. near Good Sam Hospital; streets like Siebenthaler, Needmore, etc.? I only ask because even some of the locals tend to confuse the northern edges of Dayton proper with the Old North Dayton neighborhood. I know the OP included a map, but I still don't want to assume.

That said, just about all of the City of Dayton can be evaluated on street-by-street, block-by-block basis. To make broad generalizations or assumptions about entire quadrants of the city being "problem areas" is an error in judgement, in my opinion.

Now, there are areas on the west side that I definitely try to avoid, but if I have to go there, I make sure to do it in the morning hours when most of the delinquents are sleeping. That doesn't mean that the entire west side of town is like that. (I also would put areas of east Dayton I would put in that same category.)

As far as Old North Dayton goes, I've spent a fair amount of time in this area over the last few months (including after my last comment in this post), and I certainly wouldn't lump it in with most of the west side. I didn't see groups of people congregating on porches or street corners, nor did I see any kids hanging around ... because they're in school like they're supposed to be at 11:30 AM on a weekday. The extreme southwest corner of what I've outlined (west of Troy and south of Chapel) is the only area I would hesitate to buy right now.

I also wouldn't want anything on the main thoroughfares (i.e. Troy and Leo), but that goes for almost any urban neighborhood as far as I'm concerned. The vast majority of the inner streets are not bad; C to C+ all day. Many of the derelict houses have been torn down, and a lot of the remaining vacant properties are being snapped up by investors. I've sold (for others) 6 properties in that neighborhood in the last 60 days - all were vacant and run down, and all of them were bought by experienced investors (their condition prohibited most would-be homeowners from considering them). There are also some owner-occupant sales happening, and the majority of the occupied homes are well-kept. Overall, I think the neighborhood is definitely on the upswing.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Vacaville, CA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Steven Morris:

    North Dayton and West Dayton are problem areas. Some parts of North Dayton are decent. I've got a great relationship with the owners of a local pizza chain. I can tell you if their drivers deliver there or not. If they dont deliver there safe to say it's a bad area. Areas tend to get blocked when a driver gets robbed or something of the sort. That being said you can call into a local pizza chain and see if they deliver there in just about any city. I know the North Dayton pizza shop im talking about has been robbed a few times, and the drivers have also been robbed on occasion.

    I think this areas probably ok though but I wouldnt call it C+.

    This is a really cool idea and the first time I've heard of it.  I'm going to R&D this (Rip off & Disseminate).  Great for long distance investors! Thank you!

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Gordon Starr:

    That is the "good part" of old north Dayton. Lots of rehab jobs, a new school on Leo St., and the neighborhood is up in price and appearance so much that it has certainly improved dramatically since I bought a house at Leo and Notre Dame in 2012. That house has returned all my initial investment and going on double the initial investment. Buy and hold is a good strategy.

    Theft has been an issue during the rehab stages until someone moves in.

    Hi Gordon 
    do you still invest in Dayton ? If yes would you mind giving me some insight on areas to invest / avoid ?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.