Need feedback on a quote i received for a new row house roof

Need feedback on a quote i received for a new row house roof

Kevin PaulkPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 174 votes

Greeting's BP Community,

I just wanted to reach out to my contractors, rehabbers, and DIY folks, to get some feedback on a quote I received for a new row roof. I was quoted 3k. Does that sound right ?

The house is a row house

960 sqft

3/1

Thanks in Advance .....

0Reply
6 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
9y

That sounds like the price for a "torch down" modified bitumen type flat roof. Recently I had a roofer tell me he no longer does that type of installation for a flat roof; when I asked why, he said he could not find liability insurance that would cover that specific type of installation so he now does EPDM for flat roofs. And EPDM is more expensive.

Why the liability insurance issue? The "torch down" application has an open flame being used on the structure, and there are instances where the building caught fire from this sort of application; insurance companies don't like the higher risk activities ... 

See if this roofer has liability insurance that covers the method of application he will be using.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Painesville, OH · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    I'm in the Cleveland area but a good rule of thumb for this area is about 250- 275 per square. That is for a single layer tear off and Ice guard and install a 30 year dimensional shingle. This does not include replacing any roof sheathing . You have about 10 square so you are probably pretty close, at least in this area you would be. 

    Hope that helps a little.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    9y

    That sounds like the price for a "torch down" modified bitumen type flat roof. Recently I had a roofer tell me he no longer does that type of installation for a flat roof; when I asked why, he said he could not find liability insurance that would cover that specific type of installation so he now does EPDM for flat roofs. And EPDM is more expensive.

    Why the liability insurance issue? The "torch down" application has an open flame being used on the structure, and there are instances where the building caught fire from this sort of application; insurance companies don't like the higher risk activities ... 

    See if this roofer has liability insurance that covers the method of application he will be using.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mount Vernon, NY · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Steve Babiak that is some really great info. Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    9y
    Kevin Paulk that's sounds like a reasonable number. Like Steve Babiak said it sounds like a MB (torch down) quote. The price sounds a little to low to be EPDM. I personally don't like EPDM. I've been on a lot of roofs, and EPDM is not as tough as MB. I'm pretty sure torch downs are no good with the fires Dept but people will still do them. I have a roofer in brooklyn if you want to get another quote he did my roof for $2200 for 720sf this year. His company is Simon roofing. Been in brooklyn for many years. I'm pretty sure he does both styles of roofing.
  • Kevin PaulkPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 174 votes
    9y

    @Daniel Baker Thanks for that really cool rule of thumb. I will take that into consideration.

  • Kevin PaulkPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 174 votes
    9y

    @Steve Babiak thanks a ton i will speak to the roofer and update you. 

    @John Hickey Thanks! appreciate your feedback 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.