I'm Investing in West End, Providence. Are You?

17 Replies

Hey BP RI Community! 

I am redeveloping an old, practically abandoned, building in the Heart of West End, Providence, into a neighborhood plaza. Plans are about ready for plan review and things are getting excited! Who here owns property in the area? I'd love to chat!

Hi Jerry!  What's a neighborhood plaza?

@Jerry Batista , I've looked at a few things in that area but most of what I looked at was overpriced (for me anyway).

It was a shame because I like the area and I think it has good potential. If I owned there now I'd definitely hold onto it, and I'm still hopeful that something will come across my plate in that area where the #s work.

And keep us updated on your redevelopment project of course!

Hey @Jerry Batista , I own on a multi on Federal Hill.  Not technically the West End but close.  Sounds interesting what you are doing, would love to know more.  

Originally posted by @Greg Weiss :

Hi Jerry!  What's a neighborhood plaza?

Hey Greg! I'm talking about a Strip Center filled with small businesses. Restaurants, Some Retail, etc.

Originally posted by @Anthony Thompson :

@Jerry Batista, I've looked at a few things in that area but most of what I looked at was overpriced (for me anyway).

It was a shame because I like the area and I think it has good potential. If I owned there now I'd definitely hold onto it, and I'm still hopeful that something will come across my plate in that area where the #s work.

And keep us updated on your redevelopment project of course!

Great potential! Looking forward to seeing this area grow.

Thanks for dropping a comment!

Originally posted by @Christian Allen :

Hey @Jerry Batista, I own on a multi on Federal Hill.  Not technically the West End but close.  Sounds interesting what you are doing, would love to know more.  

Thanks Christian! The Project is located by Bucklin Park. With Westfield Lofts and Room & Works down the street, It's a matter of time till more people start developing the area.

How's "The Hill" treating you?

Fed Hill has been doing really well the last few years.  The area has become very attractive to young renters looking for the convenience of all the bars and restaurants.  Definitely starting to become competitive to find properties.   

@Jerry Batista , Hi Jerry, I'm interested in Federal Hill but also haven't found something yet to make the numbers work. I'll also consider the wider area around it potentially. What kind of restaurants will you be trying to attract to your project? 

Sounds like a great project! Congrats and best of luck with it.

@Christian Allen , congrats for getting into Fed Hill already! If you don't mind sharing, are your renters all working in Providence or do some commute further afield?

Originally posted by @Christian Allen :

Fed Hill has been doing really well the last few years.  The area has become very attractive to young renters looking for the convenience of all the bars and restaurants.  Definitely starting to become competitive to find properties.   

Agreed! Fed Hill has always had that charm. Good luck with everything!

@Jennifer Stillman my tenants on Fed Hill all stay within Providence.  I have a mix of grad students and recent grads working at the hospitals/downtown.  

@Jerry Batista As a owner/investor in the neighborhood, I'm excited for you and looking forward to seeing where this project goes! 

@Jerry Batista I am based out of Boston but have purchased 5 buildings on Federal Hill over the past two years and like the area. Best of luck and let me know if I can be of any help

I own one right or Parade and Manage another in the area. Big time sizzling area in the city on the rise!

@Brandon in

@Brandon Ingegneri Do you use Trulia's crime rate map when looking for properties in West End neighborhood or do you use the vibes approach doing drive by, block by block? I know Parade st is in green on Trulia's map but many other streets are in red. Would you invest in a red section?

Thanks.

I just know the neighborhoods from being a city kid.  Plus I know a ton of cops and firefighters in Prov, so I stay in the loop.  I don’t know what areas are red on your map so it is difficult for me to say.  More likely than not though, I can identify an area that has potential that someone not from the area may be scared of, and I’ve turned people away from deals in what they thought were good areas. My livelihood depends on my knowing these pockets within neighborhoods. 

@Jerry Batista I own on one multi on Harrison and another on Hollis, working on closing another in the area. Anything I can do to help?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here