Moving to Knoxville TN!

Moving to Knoxville TN!

Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 13 votes

Hello!

After a few years of sitting on my butt, I finally took action and bought a SFH in Knoxville. My wife and I will be moving from NYC next week! I'm excited and nervous at the same time thinking about my investment future.

I plan on using 2 strategies, STRs with financial partners, and BRRRRs. I picked those 2 strategies because I need a means of recapturing capital. I want to scale faster than buy and hold 1 property a year. I'm currently in the process of building my team for my first BRRRR. So, if you have any core members you recommend, I would really appreciate the referral. So far I have talked to a few realtors, wholesalers, and a lender. My next step, would probably be finding a recommended hard money lender or bank/credit union that will take on BRRRRs. Followed by a contractor.

As an aside, I could also use some new friends, I'm kinda leaving a lot of connections in NYC.

Hope to connect soon!

10Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Knoxville, TN · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
4y

Andy feel free to connect when you get here! We have similar strategies and live in west Knox and love it here. My biz partner @John Sandlin is also based in NYC as well! 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    @Andy Yong welcome to Knoxville.

  • Grant SchroederPro Member
    Lender · OR ID AZ CA WA CO NV TN MT · Member since 2018 · 598 posts · 312 votes
    4y

    Welcome @Andy Yong!

  • New to Real Estate · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Hi Andy,

    Welcome to Knoxville.  I am also a new investor getting started as well.  Would not mind connecting with you.

  • TN · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Welcome to Knoxville. It's a great place to live. 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @Wala Habiby I see you're really active on the Knoxville Real Estate Forum! I would love to connect with you, I know I mentioned already having spoken to various realtors, I would still like to see if there is an opportunity for us to work together

    @Randell Harris Hello! What part of Knoxville are you at? I'm going to be in the North Knox area

    @Grant Schroeder @Karlee Rohr Thank you!!

  • New to Real Estate · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    @Andy Young North Knoxville (Halls) as well.

  • Real Estate Agent · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    @Andy Yong happy to meet or get on a phone call. Send me a msg with what you prefer and times that work with you. I work heavily with investor and always enjoy adding more people to my team.

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Welcome to Knoxville, Andy!  Happy to connect if you're looking to build new relationships and teams.

  • Contractor · Sweetwater, TN · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Andy Yong What part of Knoxville? I'm just south of there about 30 minutes. I'm not new new to the area but am a transplant as well (these locals aren't the friendliest to "yankees"). I've spent the last 10 years networking, finding reliable people, honest people, to work with. If you invest down my way and need contractors, landscapers etc. Let me know and I'll do best to point you in the right direction.

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 701 posts · 531 votes
    4y

    You and everyone else brother. Welcome to Knoxville and good luck in your endeavors, maybe we'll run into each other. 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @Shane Ryan I'm in North Knox. Well, I hope it won't be too bad, at least I don't look like your typical "yankee". I personally haven't checked out the Sweetwater area. I'd let you know if I do decide to invest in that area. Appreciate the offer!

    @Christopher B. Perhaps we will! I'm going to try to go to the different meetups. If you see me there, do say hi. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 701 posts · 531 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Andy Yong:

    @Shane Ryan I'm in North Knox. Well, I hope it won't be too bad, at least I don't look like your typical "yankee". I personally haven't checked out the Sweetwater area. I'd let you know if I do decide to invest in that area. Appreciate the offer!

    @Christopher B. Perhaps we will! I'm going to try to go to the different meetups. If you see me there, do say hi. 

    Same to you Andy. I don't make it to many meet-ups anymore but probably should.  

  • Nick BelskyBusiness Member
    Residential and Commercial Broker · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    4y

    @Andy Yong

    I miss Knoxville... Left for work about 6 years ago and have been wanting to make it back.  You'll love the area!

    Cheers!

    Belsky Mortgage, LLC527 Reviews
  • Realtor · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2018 · 261 posts · 155 votes
    4y

    Welcome to Knox. It's not NYC, but 40 will resemble the L.I.E on occasion. Throw a rock in any direction and you'll probably hit a realtor so pick one who has a long list of investor work on their resume. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Welcome @Andy Yong I've been in knoxville for a few years. Started investing in 2019. I'm always up to talk about the area and goals. I'm focusing more on investing locally next year. 

  • Rental Property Investor · White Plains, NY · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 36 votes
    4y

    I am in NY, about 30 min from NYC, and looking to buy in TN. Good luck in NYC. Let's connect. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    My girlfriend and I are moving to Knoxville this summer from Vietnam. She grew up in the area. We're looking for an investment property there, thinking of doing BRRRR and/or househack. Hopefully get something started before we move back. I'd love to connect with local investors. Let me know!!

    We're actually looking for a hard money lender at the moment. 

  • Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 26 votes
    4y

    @Andy Yong   Welcome! I just officially moved here in January of this year from Chicago.  Still loving the area after 2 months in, despite it being the "bad" time of year as far as weather goes. I'll take a TN winter over a Chicago winter any day haha.

    I'm looking for multifamily properties right now but also looking for team members like RE attorneys, lenders, contractors, wholesalers, partner investors, etc.  

    Let me know if you want to get on a call and connect, or grab a beer at one of the many awesome breweries here in town.  Maybe we will end up finding some deals for each other in the future.

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Andy feel free to connect when you get here! We have similar strategies and live in west Knox and love it here. My biz partner @John Sandlin is also based in NYC as well! 

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Yup. Andy I'm also in NYC but investing in Knoxville. Good luck down there! 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg Larson:

    @Andy Yong   Welcome! I just officially moved here in January of this year from Chicago.  Still loving the area after 2 months in, despite it being the "bad" time of year as far as weather goes. I'll take a TN winter over a Chicago winter any day haha.

    I'm looking for multifamily properties right now but also looking for team members like RE attorneys, lenders, contractors, wholesalers, partner investors, etc.  

    Let me know if you want to get on a call and connect, or grab a beer at one of the many awesome breweries here in town.  Maybe we will end up finding some deals for each other in the future.


     Yeah I've started to have more time free up now that the move is finally settling a little more. Let's get a beer some time! Send me a dm and we can set up the meet

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @David Phan:

    My girlfriend and I are moving to Knoxville this summer from Vietnam. She grew up in the area. We're looking for an investment property there, thinking of doing BRRRR and/or househack. Hopefully get something started before we move back. I'd love to connect with local investors. Let me know!!

    We're actually looking for a hard money lender at the moment. 


    I'm down to get a coffee during the afternoon, I have my lunch break typically from noon to 1pm if you want to schedule around that?
  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mark Sandlin:

    Andy feel free to connect when you get here! We have similar strategies and live in west Knox and love it here. My biz partner @John Sandlin is also based in NYC as well! 


    I'd be happy to connect, I've been here for a few months now. Tried looking for a BRRRR, have been a little discouraged by the market and the availability of contractors, but still moving on. Currently working with some partners on purchasing a STR, but that has also been slow going. If you would like, my weekends are typically free for meet ups

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Andy Yong How has your time been in Knoxville since moving there? Did you buy any property? Being so close the hyped up STR towns I assume the market is pricey.

    I've traveled through that city on road trips. We have rented cabins a number of time in the mountains for vacation. Lots to see and explore east of Knoxville. If you're into cars or motorcycles check out US-129, aka the Dragon's Tail. Drive it on the weekdays to avoid the crowd. Amazing views. 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jaron Walling:

    @Andy Yong How has your time been in Knoxville since moving there? Did you buy any property? Being so close the hyped up STR towns I assume the market is pricey.

    I've traveled through that city on road trips. We have rented cabins a number of time in the mountains for vacation. Lots to see and explore east of Knoxville. If you're into cars or motorcycles check out US-129, aka the Dragon's Tail. Drive it on the weekdays to avoid the crowd. Amazing views. 


    I almost bought a BRRRR in east knox, it had foundation issues that reputable foundation companies wouldn't even touch. So I backed out of that one. I haven't been up to the smokies yet, but would love to check it out sometime soon. Will definitely put Dragon's Tail on the list of places to go.

    Otherwise, I've been slowly establishing my new normal here. Found a few really good restaurants, love my gym and my coffee shop, just need to establish more solid friendships.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.