Skip to content
Houston Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Casey Crowe
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
AirBnB market in Houston near MD Anderson?

Casey Crowe
  • Columbia, SC
Posted Aug 2 2019, 13:16

Hey guys, investor from SC here. 

I'm doing some research into the feasibility of starting a non-profit that helps people with a certain rare type of cancer (of which I'm a patient too) get to MD Anderson for treatment. Because what we have is so rare, most doctors go their whole careers and may see only 1 or 2 cases. And getting to an absolute expert surgeon is critical for long-term prognosis. (I myself travel from SC to MD Anderson)

What I'd like to know, is what's the market like for AirBnBs down in Houston, specifically near the Texas Medical Center. I stay in them when I come, but I'm wondering what's a typical 3/2 or 2/1 that could use some rehab (Think BRRRR) run? What are the property taxes like? Are people running AirBnBs and successful there? Our city of Columbia is so much smaller than Houston that I'm kind of looking for a pro to just give me some back of the napkin numbers.

Ideally I'd like to see if a model where we let people with this cancer stay for free while they're there, and then rent it out to regular people to raise money when it would otherwise be vacant would be feasible. I know the property taxes can be high, but this doesn't need to be luxury. I think I've paid from $65/night to $80/night the 3 times I've stayed nearby. 

If anyone in the AirBnB market in the area would share some info that would be wonderful. Thanks guys!!

Loading replies...