Is the housing market cooling?

Is the housing market cooling?

Investor · Lucas, TX · Member since 2010 · 620 posts · 352 votes

Is it just my imagination or is the residential housing market here getting a little soft? Looking at the stats everything still looks good. Only a couple of worrying signs.

The percent of original price didn't get quite as high as it did the previous three years which could mean buyers aren't willing to chase sellers delusions of grandeur so much anymore. 

The amount of homes for sale (in Collin county) has spiked significantly higher this year. Could this be all that new construction coming on line to meet demand? I remember a decade ago investors wouldn't buy in Texas because "they breed houses like rabbits".

I am basing my concerning more on a gut feeling. I don't see the feeding frenzy of multiple offers when buying retail as much and I'm seeing house prices being reduced more often.

Am I crazy? How does it look from where you are sitting?

2Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 10 votes
9y

 I am a new investor. I just flipped a property in Mckinney. It took me  93 days from beginning to end. The market in Collin county seems to be healthy and will continue to stay that way for a bit longer in my humble estimations. I do believe that with all the new employment opportunities coming into this county demand definitely grow. I will continue to  watch the market carefully , as the high sales season has just expired though. Be resourceful and wise.

Happy investing!

See this reply in the discussion

50 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    9y

    From where I am sitting in Los Angeles, the market doesn't seem to be cooling. It seems like things are starting to level out here in Los Angeles. The high priced markets aren't moving any higher but other markets that are low priced are starting to get better and better as investors go in and renovate these neighborhoods. 

    In San Francisco, where I grew up, everything has hit its highest point and things are starting to slow down, instead of 20% price increase YOY, now there is only 5%, so thats what I mean by slowing down, or cooling.

  • Investor · Palisades Park, NJ · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    The rental market in parts of Northern NJ (particularly Class A/B neighborhoods) is definitely cooling.  I can confirm that units are on the market a bit longer than a year ago, with owners having to lower rental expectations.

    My perspective is that the supply influx of new rental units in both Manhattan/NYC and the parts of Northern NJ that I typically invest in bringing rental rates.

    I don't think its an issue of a declining population or economy, but rather lot's of new units coming to market. 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    9y

     I am a new investor. I just flipped a property in Mckinney. It took me  93 days from beginning to end. The market in Collin county seems to be healthy and will continue to stay that way for a bit longer in my humble estimations. I do believe that with all the new employment opportunities coming into this county demand definitely grow. I will continue to  watch the market carefully , as the high sales season has just expired though. Be resourceful and wise.

    Happy investing!

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Robert Steele For whatever it's worth, so many investors are *looking* for signs that the market is cooling.  It's validation of the "market is overpriced" or "we are on the precipice of another crash!"  Only hindsight will tell the truth as a lot of these are lagging indicators.  There's also a contextual issue.  If you're 40+ years old, interest rates still look REALLY LOW.  If you're <30 years old, well, they feel kinda high.  So this could be an issue where a "cool market" is still (in historical context) pretty warm.  Or we're on the precipice, the feverish demand is over, and we're 30 days from massive implosion and a new era of bargain hunting...

  • Investor · Lucas, TX · Member since 2010 · 620 posts · 352 votes
    9y

    I posted this in the local Dallas forum. I know it will still show up on the main list of forum posts and not many will pay attention to the forum line. So I should have added a caveat that I was only talking about my local market. However feel free to chime on your markets too!

  • Lender · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 537 posts · 228 votes
    9y

    We have noticed it is taking a bit longer to find a tenant for rent houses.  Something is definitely changing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Maryville, TN · Member since 2009 · 529 posts · 414 votes
    9y

    my temperature gauge says yes, def cooling in east tennessee

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 95 votes
    9y

    I'm curious to know if the "cooling" I have experienced is seasonal. When we rented our current home (yes, we are renting)  we were able to negotiate a discount on our first year's rent and locked in for 2 years. We were going to buy and decided that at "this time" it made more sense for us to rent due to pricing on new/existing homes for where we wanted to actually live.

  • Real Estate Investor · Frisco, TX · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Hello Robert From what I am seeing
  • Real Estate Investor · Frisco, TX · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    The answer is yes here in Frisco for anything over $350k. Homes in my neighborhood are sitting. Builders now have inventory sitting. Folks who bought within the past 2 years and looking to sell are putting their houses up for rent because they are not getting the price to break even. Not saying it is dire by any means but inventory is building for both homes for purchase and rent. The vast majority of the corporations are already here. We are waiting to see if Amazon calls Texas home to keep the momentum going.
  • Investor · Oskaloosa, IA · Member since 2014 · 126 posts · 65 votes
    9y
    The market maybe cooling a tad on the Midwest, but still strong. If rates move up, then hold on baby! Old enough to remember, October 1979!
  • Investor · Grapevine, TX · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    I'm in the Dallas market. I would have to agree the market has slowed to a steady growth. 

  • Investor · Grapevine, TX · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    I'm in the Dallas market. I would have to agree the market has slowed to a steady growth. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 259 posts · 293 votes
    9y

    This guy feeds on economic housing data/metrics. Great resource for hard number data and collects data from a variety of resources and compiles the information to come to various conclusions. The biggest win, he predicted the recession.

    Bill McBride's Calculated Risk Blog

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 343 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    @Robert Steele - Markets are cyclic therefore it should not be surprising if there is correction.  Newbie investors are making it worst. Just one of the example I know for sure investor is not going to make it. The previous investor gave up after 13 years. If someone is buying the dreams that is not a fault of one selling it. Seasoned investors are simply lurking for that moment.

    Good Luck 

    Vivek

  • Investor · Lucas, TX · Member since 2010 · 620 posts · 352 votes
    9y

    @Vivek Khoche Yes. I've been lurking for the past 4 years. Selling my holdings into this rising market and taking profits. When the cycle turns down again then I'll be buying.

  • Investor · Lucas, TX · Member since 2010 · 620 posts · 352 votes
    8y

    Well it's been almost a year since I originally posted this thread. So how have we done here in DFW? Metrics say that the price appreciation has slowed. But I'm more interested in anecdotal evidence.

    Some areas like Richardson still seem relatively hot. Other areas like Frisco seem to have cooled.

    I've been seeing a lot of price reductions in the sale of SFH. I've seen houses sitting on the market longer. I've seen rents dropping. I am starting to believe that the party is over. Whether this translates into a slump I don't know.

    Thoughts?

  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 252 votes
    8y

    Market is in stabilization mode...

    Here are % of homes price cut as of June 2018...

  • Investor · Lucas, TX · Member since 2010 · 620 posts · 352 votes
    7y

    Note that this thread was originally posted in the Dallas Real Estate forum.

    There are many more metrics today pointing to the fact that the market is cooling off significantly. @Shital Thakkar I think this may be more than just stabilization. I think that this may be the beginning of a cycle top.

    The prime culprit seems to be the Fed raising interest rates and they don't appear to be stopping anytime soon.

    I am taking the opportunity to sell some more houses even if I get a little less that I might of a year ago.

  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
    7y

    I've seen many listings drop 10-20k this past 60 days.  seasonal compounding stabilization? over builds?

  • Investor · Lucas, TX · Member since 2010 · 620 posts · 352 votes
    7y

    We are now getting mentioned in national media. I read one article highlighting how dire things were getting in Frisco and now this one about Plano in the WSJ. 

    "The U.S. Housing Boom Is Coming to an End, Starting in Dallas"
  • Real Estate Agent · Keller, TX · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    I have a house for sale in Plano that would have been gone first weekend last year. I know because I sold a house in Plano last November that was multiple offers and not as nice as what I have on market now. 

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
  • Chris CarlsonPro Member
    Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    I started to notice a cooling trend in my area, Denton County, ~8-12 months ago. One thing you don't call out @Robert Steele is your investment strategy, are you a buy & holder, a flipper, a builder, wholesaler...? We buy and hold. I do worry a little because we attempted to unload a rental house that we had 'flipped' with $25K of reno, where we used to literally get offers in hours we sat for almost 60 days on market before deciding to keep it in the portfolio as a performing SFR. At the same time the business/economic temperature within the metroplex is still strong, there are still jobs, people still have to live somewhere. If people are pushed out of home ownership over a .75% increase in interest rates they should be renting, not buying, anyway. I can't imagine if I had to live through the interest rates incurred during the Carter years, 22%...

  • Real Estate Investor · Frisco, TX · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Similar story here.  I gave a property in Frisco I am looking to sell but need to put some money in it.   With that and possibly having to lower my price, I am at a crossroad.  I am also looking at alternatives other than renting like Airbnb. I have a buddy in the colony with a 1700 sq ft house that is renting it out 80% to 90% each month. Instead of making $1700 a month in rent he making about $3k. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.