Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes

Dear Fellow BPers in and around Tokyo Japan.

I would like to get a small informal get-together going on a regular basis somewhere in Tokyo. Open to anyone willing to make the trip of course, but likely folks from the Kanto area - Yokohama, Chiba, Saitama, Kanagawa, Ibaraki, etc?

Please reply here in case you're interested, and if you want to help organize, even better! :)

Let's try to get the first meeting going in the next 2-3 weeks, then hopefully make it a monthly thing??

@Pyrrha Rivers

@Kristin Shitara

@Naga A.

@Zachary D.

@Nick Brubaker

@Maria Kovach

@Greg Christensen

Please feel free to tag and invite anyone else that you know who might be interested!

Best Regards,

-Dmitri

2Reply
1,006 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
10y

@Daniel 

@Daniel Ryu Thank you for the link to your article. I can't wait to read it and share it. All who attended the small joint meetup last month invest in the US. I am hoping to grow our local group in Yokosuka and this type of resource will be very helpful because having a roadmap from someone who has traveled the way we want to go is always helpful because it makes what seems impossible more real and attainable. I'm sharing it with the Yokosuka group and suggesting we have a discussion on it when we meet.

We are in our infancy stage, so no, we have not yet thrown our meetup on Meetup.com

Thanks for sharing!

See this reply in the discussion

214 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    @Dmitri L.

    I'm in.  Three weeks out I'll be leaving town for close to a month though and my weekends are already full.  Maybe a weeknight a couple weeks out?

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    sure im in, maybe i can invite a few people too.  you know there is a real estate investment meetup group already on meetup.  have you considered contacting them for help get a monthly meeting going? Also I am an organizer of several groups, if you need help maybe we can work something out.

    Im sure you already know this but there is an organization that runs monthly investment seminars, im scheduled for one on the 27th. if you like i can contact the organizer for a +1 if you like.  

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Yes, I'd be very interested in this.  Weekdays during the day are best for me - though I'm guessing not great for everyone else.  I can also do weekend evenings.  I'm in Ikebukuro.  Let me know how I can help!

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    During the day for me is generally not okay during the week. However looks like you might be able to make the Saturday 27th event? it's in Roppongi and it starts at 3pm. Let me know, otherwise we can plan something for few weeks from now.

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Dmitri L. This is awesome!

    I have been trying to organize something like this in the Yokosuka area. I am definitely interested in attending but will be States Side until August. I hope you get this going and I will certainly participate once I return. Needless to say, weekends are best for me due to distance, but I would like to attend, so I'm following this topic. Thanks for tagging me. 

    My @function is not working, but perhaps someone else can tag these other members. 

    Danny Hubbard 

    George Calbert

    Darius Moody 

    Thanks,

    Pyrrha

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2010 · 186 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Yes, I am in.  I live in tokyo so I can meet you in the Tokyo area.  The weekdays after work work better for me too though I can meet on a weekend too.

    Naga

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Hi All!

    Thanks so much for the responses, great to hear there is some interest!

    So, just to get things moving, let me throw out a couple of dates, and please let me know if any of these work / don't work:

    • Wednesday July 1st
    • Thursday July 2nd

    7pm ? 

    How do people feel about Omotesando area?

    -Dmitri

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    i dont think i can make omotesando till 7:30 on either of those two days.  

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    depending what this next week looks like for me, either a saturday, sunday, monday or tuesday will be best.  i am more available in general on those days. but i remember that they are not so good for you. 

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2014 · 579 posts · 347 votes
    11y

    @Dmitri L.

    Hi guys.. that's great that you guys are getting a meetup going in Tokyo.

    I'd love to hear how's it going.

    I'm helping to organize a meetup out here in Seoul, South Korea.

    Here's a post from our latest meeting:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/204...

    If you're interested in sharing tips, resources, or if any of your members are ever flying out to Korea, let me know. 

    Do you think your group will be focused more on investing in Japan or in the states from abroad?

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Ryu:

    @Dmitri L.

    Hi guys.. that's great that you guys are getting a meetup going in Tokyo.

    I'd love to hear how's it going.

    I'm helping to organize a meetup out here in Seoul, South Korea.

    Here's a post from our latest meeting:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/204...

    If you're interested in sharing tips, resources, or if any of your members are ever flying out to Korea, let me know. 

    Do you think your group will be focused more on investing in Japan or in the states from abroad?

     Wow sounds like you guys have it going on in Korea, that's great! Interesting idea getting Chris to participate on video. Ideas are flowing now.... :)

    Likewise if any o your members are even in Japan, feel free to reach out!

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Dmitri,

    Thanks for taking the initiative here.  I have lessons in Ikebukuro at 8pm on both of those days.  I can do 6 or maybe 6:30.  I can also come out after at around 9:45.  

    Weekdays are still probably better for me.  If we propose a date at least a couple weeks in advance I would likely be able to block off the time before any lessons get scheduled.  At this point I can do Wednesday and Thursday the 8th and 9th for example.  

    Omotesando is fine for me.  

    I'll be really excited once a date and place are set!

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Hey everyone!  

    It looks like I'm free almost any time tomorrow.  Anyone want to meet up for a chat in person or on Skype.  I'm still pretty green and may not be able to contribute much, but it would be fun connect regardless.  I can go as late as 11pm.  The more the better!

    @Dmitri L.

    @Naga A.

    @Dan Baker

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    i'm around tomorrow too.  i running a few errands during the day but can meet up some time in the afternoon.  let me know.  

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Hmm so it sounds like this week doesn't work great for everyone, but weekday evenings do seem to be better overall. 

    Let's move it out a little bit and try to find another time that matches up.

    Could you please reply with all days from this list that will work for you, and we'll pick the one that gets the most votes. (Please don't just pick one day, but list any/all that you could make). Let's say 7:30pm on whatever day wins:

    • Monday July 6th
    • Tuesday July 7th
    • Wednesday July 8th
    • Friday July 10th
    • Monday July 13th
    • Tuesday July 14th
    • Wednesday July 15th
    • Thursday July 16th
    • Friday July 17th

    Thanks and hoping to get the first meeting together soon!

    Cheers

    -Dmitri

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Thursday :can't 

    Tuesday's : rather no but can

    Every other day ok! 

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Thank Dmitri.  

    So, far any of those days after the 7th is possible for me.  I would prefer meeting later though like 8:30 or 9:30.  I could always come later myself, though I wouldnt' want to miss out on much. 

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Thanks guys for the responses! If anyone else wants to have a say on the schedule, please reply by tomorrow. Will set the date tomorrow

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y
  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    OK guys sorry for the delay! 

    Let's do Wednesday July 15th at 7:30 pm in Omotesando

    I'll post up venue details early next week

    Hope to see everyone there!

    -Dmitri

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    I went ahead and blocked off my schedule.  Looking forward to it!

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Hi Dimitri,

    I just wanted to check in about this meetup.  Has anyone else expressed interest?  Have you chosen a location?  

    Thanks!

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Hi All!

    @Dan Baker

    @Nick Brubaker

    @Naga A.

    @Greg Christensen

    I booked the venue for our first meeting here:

    http://www.franzuya.com/about

    http://www.keyuca.com/cafe/cafe-shop/franzuya/

    Wednesday July 15th at 7:30 pm

    It sounds like a few people are able to make it so far, but could you please reply back here or send me a PM to confirm? 

    Hope to see everyone there!

    -D

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    @Dmitri L.  thank you for arranging this.  Although on this thread it has appeared like few people would be attending and that the meetup was falling through.  I opened up my lesson schedule again and may now have trouble making it to the meetup - which is disappointing.  I'll see if I can rearrange things.  It would be helpful if future PM details could be shared here.  Thanks again! 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2010 · 186 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    I might make it on the date.  Please let me know if we are going to have a meeting. We should also include @Pyrrha Rivers.  She lives in Yokosuka and is a very active investor.  Let me know!  Naga

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.