Puerto Rico Bankruptcy

Puerto Rico Bankruptcy

Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes

PR has been in trouble since 2006 and will have losses bigger that Detroit.

A great summary can be seen in the NY Times.

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Ismael ReyesPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Port St. Lucie · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 96 votes
9y
Great question...I would also be interested in better understanding the opportunities. I know there are some great tax breaks so as to spur investment, but not much else.
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Arecibo, PR · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    So, Just to push the topic a little, what kind of opportunity this brings for RE investment? 

  • Ismael ReyesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Port St. Lucie · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 96 votes
    9y
    Great question...I would also be interested in better understanding the opportunities. I know there are some great tax breaks so as to spur investment, but not much else.
  • Rental Property Investor · Arecibo, PR · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    i know there's great opportunity if the island expands its tourism marketing and atracts more visitors.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 453 posts · 254 votes
    9y

    Sounds scary if it is going to be worse than Detroit. maybe @Joshua D.  would like to invest there hahaha

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Federal Judge is appointed to administer the BK

  • Investor · San Juan, PR · Member since 2013 · 71 posts · 50 votes
    9y

    Anyone who made money in Detroit real estate that can chime in?

  • Castlewood, VA · Member since 2012 · 177 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    I've made $$ in Detroit and I've also followed PR for several years hoping for a crash. Thus far, no luck. Too many buy the dips folks looking for a beach house out there looking for a bargain. 

    If anything, a BK filing would be viewed as bullish like it was in Detroit. Lingering debt was a ball n' chain on growth. Look at Detroit prices today and it's ridiculous with the flippers and wholesalers and every other short term oriented person hyping appreciation %s. 

  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    9y

    I like the extreme taxes and fees in California, NOT!

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike Hurney:

    I like the extreme taxes and fees in California, NOT!

     Try living here :sigh:

  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    9y

    @Jeff B. ;-) Great place but expensive!

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Steady stream of cruise ship passengers every day of the weekend into Old San Juan. Big tenants sign NNN leases. Ge a commercial building and start reaching out to the big tenants that give you a corporate guarantee of the rent.

    No storm, can beat a corporate guarantee from a billion dollar company. You will get your money, no matter what happens to anything. 

    Old San Juan is the place to place your money in

  • Investor · New York city, NY · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Mathias Eliasson

    You must know Cherif Madawar ... He owns so many of the buildings there with triple net leases..

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Very nice and humble man! 

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I saw you had some AirBnB.s in Rincón, very nice place!. I can imagine they are good to have. PR has so many nice places and there are so many good opportunities over there you just have to be resourceful. Once this Corona thing is over I will head over to PR. I have planned to move to OSJ since the gecko, but this virus stopped my plans, but I am sure it will be over soon.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.