How Much to Put on a Loan Buydown!?!?!?

How Much to Put on a Loan Buydown!?!?!?

Real Estate Agent · Denton, TX · Member since 2014 · 67 posts · 2 votes

Quick question to those who are in the rental field:

When you are doing a loan buy down (paying extra on the monthly mortgage), how much extra do you recommend to put towards it? 

Is there a rule of thumb for this?

0Reply
34 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2020 · 210 posts · 163 votes
    5y

    Hi @Jaleen Anderson, it really depends on the buyers long term goals and what they're looking for. For example, most of my current deals I try to have zero loan points because I care more about having enough capital towards future deals than I do about getting a 0.25 or 0.5 point reduction since rates are the lowest they've ever been historically. The other thing I look at is my exit strategy; for example, if I'm planning to refinance in the short term (a few years) then a point buydown doesn't make a lot of sense. However, if the buyer is looking to purchase with a 30 yr mortgage and hold the property for that term without refinancing or selling, then I'd say go for it. You'd just need to crunch the numbers and calculate the ROI duration based on the upfront points amount.

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    I think you are asking about making additional payments on your monthly mortgage in order to pay off your loan faster - is this correct? If so, again it all depends on your goals. How much faster do you want to pay it off, and why? The most simple way to look at it is to see how much of your monthly payment goes to principle and how much to interest. Paying an additional amount equal to the principle payment will cut your payoff time in half. Of course your principle amount goes up each month, so you have to increase your additional payment each month. You can also find simple mortgage calculators online that will allow you to enter a flat additional amount each month (say $50) along with your loan terms and it will calculate how much interest and how many months of payments you save over the life of your loan.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denton, TX · Member since 2014 · 67 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Melissa Hawkes yes I was, and thank you. I just wanted to see others strategy and how it worked for them.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Jaleen Anderson For me it depended on the loan amount and how much rent I take in as well as what my cash flow is.

    I'm in a rural area and my loans aren't that big so I decided about 1/3 of each mortgage payments. It leaves some of the cash flow to go into reserves as well as all of my CapEx.

    Originally I was trying to match the principal each month but decided that was not wise because part of it was having to come out of my pocket and that wasn’t sustainable as I scaled my portfolio.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denton, TX · Member since 2014 · 67 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Alecia Loveless I like that! That sounds efficient; thank you!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.