Online Real Estate School in Utah

Online Real Estate School in Utah

Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 154 votes

Hey All, 

I'm considering getting my real estate license to get access to the MLS. Not looking to become an agent or broker, just think getting the education and having access to the MLS can help me as an investor.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which online schools are best to do the 120 hour course before taking the exam?

Appreciate your feedback!

0Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 195 posts · 133 votes
9y

Stringham and praedo are both really good.  Praedo is less expensive.  When I became a Realtor I used Stringham and had no problem passing on the first try.  I used Praedo to get my loan officer license and again had no trouble passing, but I haven't used their real estate courses.

Once you have your license, if you only plan to use it to help family, friends, and do your own deals, remember there are brokers who charge nothing unless you have a closing. The best one I have seen just has a flat $500 per closing plus E&O insurance and caps at 10 closings.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • North Salt Lake, UT · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I have been thinking this same thing. I'm interested as well. 

  • Developer/Broker · Spanish Fork, UT · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    I did my real estate license through Century 21 in Orem.  It was OK, but it's a little old-school. They were still watching trainings on VHS.  I did my brokers license online through stringham real estate school.  They are awesome and are extremely knowledgeable! I recommend stringham to everyone.  They are based right here in Utah and have been around for years.  Good luck guys! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Utah County, UT · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    Harman Real Estate Academy.  Based out of Orem, UT.  They have a good online program.  

    http://harmanrealestateacademy.com/

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 195 posts · 133 votes
    9y

    Stringham and praedo are both really good.  Praedo is less expensive.  When I became a Realtor I used Stringham and had no problem passing on the first try.  I used Praedo to get my loan officer license and again had no trouble passing, but I haven't used their real estate courses.

    Once you have your license, if you only plan to use it to help family, friends, and do your own deals, remember there are brokers who charge nothing unless you have a closing. The best one I have seen just has a flat $500 per closing plus E&O insurance and caps at 10 closings.

  • Investor/Developer · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 106 votes
    9y

    Check out Agent Professor. Easy to blaze through if you already know quite a bit about RE. It's the only one I've tried so idk how it compares, but it was very simple and easy to navigate. 

  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    I'm working through Praedo right now. I'm about 70% through. I haven't taken the test so I can't speak to how well it prepares you for the course. I find it to be fairly easy so far. It gives you quizzes and test after each section, you must pass each test to move forward.

    My one complaint is I signed up for the cheapest version, so there is no sound, and it gets very boring after a few hours. The slides are timed and they just tick along, you can't speed up or skip. But when an important slide comes up with a lot of info you have to pause it to catch all the info.

    They also sell the Utah Real estate book with the course.

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 154 votes
    9y
  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 195 posts · 133 votes
    9y

    I just went and looked at your original post.  I was thinking you wanted to be an agent so that is why I was recommending the school.  I'm not sure what the rules are on getting access to the mls.  It is possible that you can just pay the mls fee, but it's also possible that you must be fully licensed.  Have you talked to the people at the mls?  You may not need the classes.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    On ActiveRain.com, a realtor social blog site has 500-2000+ Utah online students who were told to post questions and have realtors ans the questions.  It has become a night mare as many questions and topics studied are 20 years old. Loan, Appraisal. legal kind of questions which realtors will not answer as they do not have the license and are not qualified to ans.

    I suggest you actually go a license exam school at night or weekend where you have interaction from instructor who can help you passing the test.  These online schools based on students attitude and knowledge they do not turn people into licensed  Utah realtors.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Rebecca Belnap

    In Utah you need to be licensed broker, realtor or an appraiser to access realtor private section of listings. Number of offers, concession amount, thing not disclosed. The mls is controlled by NAR so you need to be a paid member of association and be able to have lockboxes after you have been finger printed and have steep realtor insurance.

    If you want general info. heck Redfin, Zillow, Realtor.com etc will do.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 195 posts · 133 votes
    9y

    @Alan Walker UCAR says the only way to get access to the MLS main site (which is the only way to see solds) is to be a licensed agent who pays the fee for access. The annual dues for SLBR are about $870 for a full year but the prorate them based on the month you start. The MLS fee is $35 per month unless they have raised it recently. There are several good brokers who charge nothing unless you have a closing, so there is no insurance as an agent unless you have a sale. You will have to take continuing education classes to maintain you license, but you can find most of them for free.

    Those are the minimum fees in order to get access to the MLS

  • Alpine, UT · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    I did Praedo. Finished it in 3 weeks then took my exam a month later. You will need to pay membership fees and have a broker to access MLS. I'm happy to look on the MLS for you! I would love to have someone help me out getting started in this industry by giving me business, then I can help you. If I found something for you, then maybe you could pay me a small minimal fee. I'd be happy to look constantly for you with new leads. Just an idea.
  • Taylorsville, UT · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    I did Stringham, passed on the first try.

    The test was not a cakewalk! I would guess I got 90 on general and 80 on state law, but obviouslyI have no score. 😎

  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kyle W.:

    I'm working through Praedo right now. I'm about 70% through. I haven't taken the test so I can't speak to how well it prepares you for the course. I find it to be fairly easy so far. It gives you quizzes and test after each section, you must pass each test to move forward.

    My one complaint is I signed up for the cheapest version, so there is no sound, and it gets very boring after a few hours. The slides are timed and they just tick along, you can't speed up or skip. But when an important slide comes up with a lot of info you have to pause it to catch all the info.

    They also sell the Utah Real estate book with the course.

     Kyle, I am assuming you completed the Praedo Institute course, How did you like it? How did it go For you? Would you recommend it to others?

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Alan Walker did you end up doing the RE line?

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 154 votes
    8y

    I ended up going with Stringham.  Did all the classes online with a full-day in-person test prep class.  Passed on the first try.  HIGHLY recommend them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.