Nothing in Seattle MFH house-hacking makes cashflow. Am I crazy?

Nothing in Seattle MFH house-hacking makes cashflow. Am I crazy?

New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 9 votes

I am working with two agents who showed me a bunch of MFH properties: mostly duplexes, some 4plexes. One in UW, many in Greenlake, some in Cap Hill/First Hill and a couple in West Seattle. My plan is to house-hack with an FHA loan. When our loan consultant came back to us and said I got a pre-approval for almost all of them, I got excited and started crunching cashflow numbers for each property, as per our overlord Brandon Turner.

And then it hit me: the numbers just didn't make sense. Everything is red, even if I massage the numbers in multiple ways. Too many posts here are too vague, so let me give you some concrete data. Here is an exact copy paste of my excel sheet, which took me multiple hours of labor to create:

AddressTownPriceunitsLoan amountCurrent RIRI x 105%AdditionalTotal Income[email protected][email protected]TaxesUtilitiesFHA MIPHOIRepairsYard CareVacancyTotal expensesNet income
5042 11th Ave NEUW1,400,00041,351,0005,5005,775255,8006,0665,79196801,182350232008,524-2,724
8059 25th Ave NWLoyal Heights965,0002931,2254,0004,20004,2004,1823,9926750815177193251266,003-1,803
7231 3rd Ave NWPhinney Ridge980,0003945,7004,0004,20004,2004,2444,05266708281802451003366,408-2,208
523 N 105th StGreenwood1,195,00041,153,1756,0206,32106,3215,1784,94385001,00995280502537,480-1,159
541 N 105th StGreenwood749,0002722,7853,2503,41303,4133,2463,0985000633137183751374,763-1,350
4715 whitman ave NWallingford897,0002865,6054,0754,27904,2793,8873,7105830758164193501715,629-1,350
1907 Chestnut StEverett380,0002366,7003,3003,46503,4651,5723420260133181501392,677788
current rent01,660301,690-1,690

All this info is from public websites found on Zillow, government websites, etc, so don't feel like I'm giving any free lunch out here, but it's all to make a point: do you see how all the numbers in the right-most column have a minus in front of them, except the Everett property I added just for contrast? That's the problem here. I am glad I did these calculations because my agents were getting all giddy about me making an offer on any of these. Mind you, this is a best-case scenario, and these numbers don't even account for the fact that I'll need to live in one of these units. Even if I raise rent aggressively and assume the best FHA rate I could find, low repairs, low utilities, low vacancy, the numbers are still bad. Sure, I'd make a decent profit from appreciation from a sale eventually (maybe), but all the while I'll be bleeding money for who knows how many years.

Someone please tell me what I'm missing here. Plenty of people in this forum are bragging about easily getting good cash flowing deals in the Seattle metro area. Is that all bs? 

Do I really need to dig deep and find pieces of crap that need full renovations (I've seen a few of those and they still cost a fortune), BRRRR or some other fancy strategy? Is FHA MFH house-hacking just not a thing in the Seattle metro area? I am a city guy and don't want to move far; will I really need to concede that privilege? I am new and don't want to BRRR yet. Besides, FHA appraisals are strict and it probably wouldn't work anyway. What other strategy works out here? My agents were so stumped by my observations that it's been 2 days since I've heard from them. It's honestly making me suspicious of their honesty from the start - surely they should have realized this fact long ago already, being in the market for 8+ years?

Sorry for the frantic post and thanks in advance for all the kind wisdom.

2Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
6y

I am going to sound very discouraging, but it reflects the reality of the market.

Unless it is a property that either nobody knows about and the seller is selling for substantially below market value, FHA MFH house hacking is just not a thing in Seattle. For 3-4 units, you will never be able to pass self-sufficiency test based on market values and rents.

Furthermore, in Seattle, there is a lot of cash floating around. There are lots of people who can buy properties without obtaining financing. Especially for MLS deals with solid numbers, chances are a cash buyer is going to beat everybody else. With the stimulus package and the government essentially printing money, there is only going to be more and more cash floating around. Plus, there are some new components of the stimulus package that strongly encourage those classified as real estate professionals for tax purposes to pour more money into real estate.

The primary ways to generate more cash flow are room rentals and airbnb. Seattle allows you to have up to 8 unrelated people live in a home. That means you want as close to 8 bedrooms as possible. $800 a pop is $6400. $900 a pop is $7200. $1000 a pop is $8000, etc. Buy a single family home, live in it, and rent out the other rooms. For more privacy, buy a single family home with an ADU, live in the ADU, and rent out the main part of the house by the room.

As we see now, airbnb are just like hotels and are hit hard by COVID-19.

Best of luck.

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Mukilteo wa · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Mls listed properties that require little to no renovations rarely make sense here unless you start looking into the outskirts of the seattle metro area. With that being said are you accounting for any negotiation that might bring the price down? Run numbers with the purchase price below asking to find the purchase price where you will start to cash flow. The seattle market is seeing price reductions in some areas but not a lot yet imo. Off market deals are where it seems to be at in this expensive city. Or you need to get real creative in the property hunt. Look for properties that need lots of renovations and can be expanded upon to create more rooms for rent. Of course you will also be fighting the developers as they are also looking for old houses to tear down to build on new.. With that being said any purchases of properties that require permits for renovations right now will probably have to wait a while as no one at SDCI is working right now due to covid19.. not to mention permit wait times can be very lengthy due to so much building activity in the past few years. You really need a lot of money to play in this area succesfully.... good luck in your hunt.

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Thank you Marc, 

    The negotiation part is a good point but aren't most properties here sold at above list price? The 1.4m UW quad is my favorite and I just now did a calculation assuming we negotiate for 1.2m, which is an amazing negotiation, but the numbers are as follows: new mortgage @ 3.13% = 4,964. Even though that's now less than the rental income, the taxes and insurances still bring the net income to -$1,678. 

    What you're saying so far is confirming my understanding that you really gotta get scrappy here and look for properties that would turn off 99% of other potential buyers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hilo, HI · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    Buying a MF just to say you did can really burn you. Finding good quality 1% deals on the MLS has not been easy sense 2012. Trust the real numbers, no massaging. You are only lying to your bank account. Averaging the deals it looks like a median of negative $1700 cash flow out of your pocket. Over 20K losses per year.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    I'm upstream of you research-wise, but I've been running into the same realization in my search for a single-family FHA house-hack. Haven't done any hard-pull pre-approvals yet, but I got in the weeds with a loan officer who was willing to provide me an estimate and it came in at $540,000. $520,000 loan amount comes out to roughly $2900-3100 in mortgage, home insurance, property tax, and MIP. A $540,000 house is a live-able, but needs-work 3-bedroom in lake city/shoreline, and it doesn't really matter if you keep going north for lower prices because the rent moves down with it(Numbers don't make sense until Everett, but like you, I'm not interested). Rooms in lake city/shoreline average $750. In the BEST case scenario, my girlfriend is willing to match what the tenants pay, and I'd have $2250/mo coming in... leaving me bleeding $750 +/- every month before surprise/expected expenses. Does not seem like a situation conducive to building up that next downpayment... plus when I leave, now there's a $1500 +/- hole that will leave me in the red, regardless of whether or not I can find a couple to fill it.

    More research to be done, but my preliminary findings lead me to believe that, in Seattle, my only real route here is to be tenacious about seeking out a deal on a distressed 3-4 bedroom, and then go all-in trying to rehab it so I only have to eat one, maybe two full mortgage payments.  This brings me to a gray area I haven't been able clear up just yet... is there anywhere you can find exact criteria on what will/will not be approved for FHA Loans as it relates to the repairs that need to be done?  Don't mean to hijack Visaly's post, but since this consideration is very much in line with the situation he finds himself in, I'd appreciate it if any experienced folks could weigh in on that.

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    6y

    I am going to sound very discouraging, but it reflects the reality of the market.

    Unless it is a property that either nobody knows about and the seller is selling for substantially below market value, FHA MFH house hacking is just not a thing in Seattle. For 3-4 units, you will never be able to pass self-sufficiency test based on market values and rents.

    Furthermore, in Seattle, there is a lot of cash floating around. There are lots of people who can buy properties without obtaining financing. Especially for MLS deals with solid numbers, chances are a cash buyer is going to beat everybody else. With the stimulus package and the government essentially printing money, there is only going to be more and more cash floating around. Plus, there are some new components of the stimulus package that strongly encourage those classified as real estate professionals for tax purposes to pour more money into real estate.

    The primary ways to generate more cash flow are room rentals and airbnb. Seattle allows you to have up to 8 unrelated people live in a home. That means you want as close to 8 bedrooms as possible. $800 a pop is $6400. $900 a pop is $7200. $1000 a pop is $8000, etc. Buy a single family home, live in it, and rent out the other rooms. For more privacy, buy a single family home with an ADU, live in the ADU, and rent out the main part of the house by the room.

    As we see now, airbnb are just like hotels and are hit hard by COVID-19.

    Best of luck.

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Keith Mikkelson:

    I'm upstream of you research-wise, but I've been running into the same realization in my search for a single-family FHA house-hack. Haven't done any hard-pull pre-approvals yet, but I got in the weeds with a loan officer who was willing to provide me an estimate and it came in at $540,000. $520,000 loan amount comes out to roughly $2900-3100 in mortgage, home insurance, property tax, and MIP. A $540,000 house is a live-able, but needs-work 3-bedroom in lake city/shoreline, and it doesn't really matter if you keep going north for lower prices because the rent moves down with it(Numbers don't make sense until Everett, but like you, I'm not interested). Rooms in lake city/shoreline average $750. In the BEST case scenario, my girlfriend is willing to match what the tenants pay, and I'd have $2250/mo coming in... leaving me bleeding $750 +/- every month before surprise/expected expenses. Does not seem like a situation conducive to building up that next downpayment... plus when I leave, now there's a $1500 +/- hole that will leave me in the red, regardless of whether or not I can find a couple to fill it.

    More research to be done, but my preliminary findings lead me to believe that, in Seattle, my only real route here is to be tenacious about seeking out a deal on a distressed 3-4 bedroom, and then go all-in trying to rehab it so I only have to eat one, maybe two full mortgage payments.  This brings me to a gray area I haven't been able clear up just yet... is there anywhere you can find exact criteria on what will/will not be approved for FHA Loans as it relates to the repairs that need to be done?  Don't mean to hijack Visaly's post, but since this consideration is very much in line with the situation he finds himself in, I'd appreciate it if any experienced folks could weigh in on that.

    Keith, I feel ya. What you're saying is in alignment with what I've seen, even though you're looking at a slightly different market segment. From what I hear, the FHA appraisal process is much more strict than a normal appraisal, so it's quite possible that a deal could fall through if the FHA appraiser says that the house just doesn't meet the required standard of living mandated by HUD. This seems like a good article on the matter: https://www.valuepenguin.com/mortgages/fha-appraisal-requirements

    Interesting point about going up north not being worth it because that (or going South) was going to be my next strategy. I just don't feel like I have the experience to go hunting for broken houses that require renovation to make a profit. Location would be my best bet right now., and even that seems to be a no-go.

    The only reason I got a good pre-approval is because the future rental income is calculated in my total income and also I have a tech salary. I am totally an average Joe otherwise and I really want to understand what people mean when they say you gotta get creative in this market. Can anybody provide any specific examples?


  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Keith Mikkelson:

    I'm upstream of you research-wise, but I've been running into the same realization in my search for a single-family FHA house-hack. Haven't done any hard-pull pre-approvals yet, but I got in the weeds with a loan officer who was willing to provide me an estimate and it came in at $540,000. $520,000 loan amount comes out to roughly $2900-3100 in mortgage, home insurance, property tax, and MIP. A $540,000 house is a live-able, but needs-work 3-bedroom in lake city/shoreline, and it doesn't really matter if you keep going north for lower prices because the rent moves down with it(Numbers don't make sense until Everett, but like you, I'm not interested). Rooms in lake city/shoreline average $750. In the BEST case scenario, my girlfriend is willing to match what the tenants pay, and I'd have $2250/mo coming in... leaving me bleeding $750 +/- every month before surprise/expected expenses. Does not seem like a situation conducive to building up that next downpayment... plus when I leave, now there's a $1500 +/- hole that will leave me in the red, regardless of whether or not I can find a couple to fill it.

    More research to be done, but my preliminary findings lead me to believe that, in Seattle, my only real route here is to be tenacious about seeking out a deal on a distressed 3-4 bedroom, and then go all-in trying to rehab it so I only have to eat one, maybe two full mortgage payments.  This brings me to a gray area I haven't been able clear up just yet... is there anywhere you can find exact criteria on what will/will not be approved for FHA Loans as it relates to the repairs that need to be done?  Don't mean to hijack Visaly's post, but since this consideration is very much in line with the situation he finds himself in, I'd appreciate it if any experienced folks could weigh in on that.

    3-4 beds is not really enough. Go for a split level style home, those tend to be more functional, and have more bedrooms in the same amount of space. 


    As far as FHA, the bigger problem is winning an offer on a house when other buyers may be waiving their contingencies. Because of the appraisal requirements, FHA gets a bad stigma. Furthermore, FHA and VA loans come with a built-in "get out of jail free" card if the appraised value comes back lower than the purchase price. Sellers don't like that. If I had a choice, with all other terms being equal, as a seller, I would choose the lower priced offer that's using conventional financing over an FHA offer.

    The most common things that get called out by FHA looks for is wood rot and chipped paint. But here is the full set of guidelines from FHA.

    https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/SFH_POLI_APPR_PROP.PDF

    If you are just buying a single family home, it doesn't make sense to use FHA if you don't have to. You can use 3% or 5% down conventional.  FHA is truly beneficial if you want to buy a multi-family home especially a duplex.  

    Best of luck! 

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Adrian Chu:

    I am going to sound very discouraging, but it reflects the reality of the market.

    Unless it is a property that either nobody knows about and the seller is selling for substantially below market value, FHA MFH house hacking is just not a thing in Seattle. For 3-4 units, you will never be able to pass self-sufficiency test based on market values and rents.

    Furthermore, in Seattle, there is a lot of cash floating around. There are lots of people who can buy properties without obtaining financing. Especially for MLS deals with solid numbers, chances are a cash buyer is going to beat everybody else. With the stimulus package and the government essentially printing money, there is only going to be more and more cash floating around. Plus, there are some new components of the stimulus package that strongly encourage those classified as real estate professionals for tax purposes to pour more money into real estate.

    The primary ways to generate more cash flow are room rentals and airbnb. Seattle allows you to have up to 8 unrelated people live in a home. That means you want as close to 8 bedrooms as possible. $800 a pop is $6400. $900 a pop is $7200. $1000 a pop is $8000, etc. Buy a single family home, live in it, and rent out the other rooms. For more privacy, buy a single family home with an ADU, live in the ADU, and rent out the main part of the house by the room.

    As we see now, airbnb are just like hotels and are hit hard by COVID-19.

    Best of luck.

    This actually makes a lot of sense. Renting a room for each person in a 8-br house seems like a rat cage though, doesn't it? Even if I live in an ADU, I can imagine a lot of drama and repairs would be required in such a situation, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    6y
    The reason it's that way is that because a lot of people are making a tech salary here in Seattle.  It is even more challenging for people with lower salaries.  On the flip side, if you are in a city where very few people make high salaries, then you would have a larger competitive advantage.

    Originally posted by @Vasily R.:
    Originally posted by @Adrian Chu:

    I am going to sound very discouraging, but it reflects the reality of the market.

    Unless it is a property that either nobody knows about and the seller is selling for substantially below market value, FHA MFH house hacking is just not a thing in Seattle. For 3-4 units, you will never be able to pass self-sufficiency test based on market values and rents.

    Furthermore, in Seattle, there is a lot of cash floating around. There are lots of people who can buy properties without obtaining financing. Especially for MLS deals with solid numbers, chances are a cash buyer is going to beat everybody else. With the stimulus package and the government essentially printing money, there is only going to be more and more cash floating around. Plus, there are some new components of the stimulus package that strongly encourage those classified as real estate professionals for tax purposes to pour more money into real estate.

    The primary ways to generate more cash flow are room rentals and airbnb. Seattle allows you to have up to 8 unrelated people live in a home. That means you want as close to 8 bedrooms as possible. $800 a pop is $6400. $900 a pop is $7200. $1000 a pop is $8000, etc. Buy a single family home, live in it, and rent out the other rooms. For more privacy, buy a single family home with an ADU, live in the ADU, and rent out the main part of the house by the room.

    As we see now, airbnb are just like hotels and are hit hard by COVID-19.

    Best of luck.

    This actually makes a lot of sense. Renting a room for each person in a 8-br house seems like a rat cage though, doesn't it? Even if I live in an ADU, I can imagine a lot of drama and repairs would be required in such a situation, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Adrian Chu well I'm glad you mentioned the 3-down conventionals - after some quick googling it looks like you are correct that this would be my best bet... regardless, you are right, certainly an uphill battle when facing competition without need for financing.  I don't disagree that the more bedrooms the better, but unfortunately I don't share the same salary as @Vasily R. so 550-600k is probably my ceiling. 


    Vasily your rat-cage analogy feels accurate. I toured a lot of those 8 bedroom houses when i was looking for a place to rent 2 years ago... nobody WANTS to live in a situation like that, so my guess is you'd see a lot of turnover, which will cost you time. If you're up for it, it's probably worth the equity 8 people could pay off for you. Just not a very calm living situation.

    As for what's required to seek out a place that's distressed with heavy upside post-rehab... Driving around target neighborhoods, drafting up a list seems like the move. Once you have your list, direct mail, finding bird dogs, tracking down owners of unlisted houses and pitching them... these are strategies I'm only just learning about but things along those lines seem like the play for those in our bucket.

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Vasily R. Have you considered the old adage... "Live where you want, invest where it makes sense."   Seattle is like where I live... it's an appreciation play, not a cashflow play.  The property will not rent for what you can cover the mortgage for unless you put more cash down and then your returns drop drastically.  Different markets behave differently.  I work with several people from the area to help them reposition their assets and when I dig into their portfolios they generally cashflow between -5-1%.  Not good.

    What if you took your funds and invested out of state?  At least out of your area?  Spokane has a few multi although it's getting overheated as well. PM me if you have any Q's!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Vasily R.:
    Originally posted by @Adrian Chu:

    I am going to sound very discouraging, but it reflects the reality of the market.

    Unless it is a property that either nobody knows about and the seller is selling for substantially below market value, FHA MFH house hacking is just not a thing in Seattle. For 3-4 units, you will never be able to pass self-sufficiency test based on market values and rents.

    Furthermore, in Seattle, there is a lot of cash floating around. There are lots of people who can buy properties without obtaining financing. Especially for MLS deals with solid numbers, chances are a cash buyer is going to beat everybody else. With the stimulus package and the government essentially printing money, there is only going to be more and more cash floating around. Plus, there are some new components of the stimulus package that strongly encourage those classified as real estate professionals for tax purposes to pour more money into real estate.

    The primary ways to generate more cash flow are room rentals and airbnb. Seattle allows you to have up to 8 unrelated people live in a home. That means you want as close to 8 bedrooms as possible. $800 a pop is $6400. $900 a pop is $7200. $1000 a pop is $8000, etc. Buy a single family home, live in it, and rent out the other rooms. For more privacy, buy a single family home with an ADU, live in the ADU, and rent out the main part of the house by the room.

    As we see now, airbnb are just like hotels and are hit hard by COVID-19.

    Best of luck.

    This actually makes a lot of sense. Renting a room for each person in a 8-br house seems like a rat cage though, doesn't it? Even if I live in an ADU, I can imagine a lot of drama and repairs would be required in such a situation, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

    this is very common in Silicon valley.. put 2 techies to the room for 1k a month each.. more like dorm style living. 

    also with nothing down your not usually going to cash flow in any high value market

  • Rental Property Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2018 · 43 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    I am not expert, but I did recently live in the Seattle suburbs for 6 years where we did two live-in flips. I agree with and observed what everyone here is saying. I believe the area will have strong appreciation for a long time, but not cash flow. In my limited experience, you have to get a property off market to make money, or just hold it for long enough. The above suggestions seem like a great place to start, and never underestimate the value of telling EVERYONE you see what you're looking for...that's how we got our second place.

  • Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 129 votes
    6y

    So I've lived in Seattle proper for 15 years (Ballard), and Washington even longer than that. I passed on buying a place about 6-7 years ago (oops!). A few years ago I stepped up my hustle to buy property. Then as time went on an prices kept skyrocketing I realized Seattle, and many other trendy metros, were in bubble territory. There was no way I wanted to invest here, and due to the direction of the city I eventually decided I don't even want to live here anymore anyway. I got tired of making 6 figures and not really getting much of a lifestyle out of it. The crime, taxes, vibe of the city, and general direction of this place is a mess. If you're newer around here then you have no idea just how nice a place Seattle used to be across the board.

    The fact is that all these trendy metros were overpriced and due for a correction BEFORE covid came along. See, MATH, fundamentals ALWAYS predict pricing beyond the immediate short term euphoria irrational people have during booms. Without fail. And that means there was only room to drop, no upside potential. At best Seattle could have flat lined in prices for several years while inflation ate away at it's real value. At worst it could have dropped 20-30% or more. But no more 10% appreciation for the near future was possible. I have lots of math and facts to show why, but this isn't the place for it! That is all still true, AND we have a major recession on our hands. If I were you I wouldn't buy a darn thing period, anywhere, let alone in a place like Seattle right now. Seattle will probably be more expensive 30 years from now, but buying in right at a point where there's no potential for immediate appreciation, in a negative cash flow market... It just doesn't make sense. All the investors saying otherwise for trendy metros in the last couple years are going to be the ones who lose their rear ends as this current economic situation plays itself out.

    If you really insist on investing here, BRRRing, room renting, etc is the only way you'll get close to coming out here. BRRR doesn't have to mean a massive project, you can always try to find the holy grail of BRRRing that really just needs paint, flooring replaced, etc. It's work still of course, but it isn't horribly complicated to do the simple things.

    Even if you want to continue to live in this area, bear in mind investing in Everett, Tacoma, etc are the way to go. You don't have to live there for 20 years man! Moving to Everett for a year or two, then moving out and renting your old unit should leave you able to move along to the next property just fine. Assuming you don't lose several hundred grand in paper equity because prices crash due to the recession we're in.

    But personally, I'd suggest rethinking your life long term... These big cities aren't all they're cracked up to be. And even if you REALLY think they are, and can't possibly live in a place with less than X million people, realize there are cities far larger than Seattle, with far more "stuff" to do overall than here/SF/NYC that ARE NOT insanely over priced. Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc are all far larger and cheaper. Many in between cities that are millions of people and a lot less expensive too.

    I myself have decided to move to the Spokane/CDA area as I've lived in the NW most of my life. There's enough city stuff in Spokane to get me by (They have ramen, sushi, $20 hamburgers etc if those are musts for anybody), but no traffic, an upward trajectory instead of downward in many ways (crime is down, wage/job growth up, etc), and of course the ID side doesn't have insane government policies that seek to destroy your financial life. But everybody has to make that call for themselves. 

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    I learned so much from this post. Thanks everybody. Vaughn's reply above especially is making me wonder. I'm not tied by anything in this city other than my job, and since I got my green card after moving from Canada's east-coast 5 years ago (where my family resides), I have almost no particular attachment to this city. I am focusing on building wealth while I'm relatively young, and sounds like Seattle is just a harder place to follow the real estate strategy to achieve my financial goals. Tech jobs can be found all over the country, and perhaps taking a pay cut isn't such a bad idea if I can trade that for better culture, lower crime rates, better real estate opportunities, etc.

    Meeting up with a different friend involved in real estate to give me a different perspective, but so far I'm definitely holding to my guns.

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Yes you have to be very scrappy - and 1.4 million dollar quads in U-district is about as far away from scrappy as you can get. Those pieces of real estate are simply low risk parking spaces for the wealthy, not an opportunity to build passive income or work your way up the real estate ladder.

    Go single family - I've bought 8+ bedrooms on the MLS that cashflow really well after a medium-heavy cosmetic renovation. Even better if you can create a MIL/ADU in the basement and turn it into a "duplex-ish". Owner occupancy and parking requirements were dropped for ADU's last year, which is a huge opportunity for you to leap-frog your single family house-hacks into a rental empire (this is what we're doing)

    Unfortunately almost nothing turnkey will cashflow here - which makes sense. This is one of the hottest real estate markets in the safest country in the world to park cash - anything that you can buy and rent the next day will have severely compressed CAP rates due to significant competition from both foreign and domestic buyers

    You hit it on the head earlier so I'll say it again - you gotta be scrappy!

    PS: and this is important - if your Realtor is not running their own rental numbers and comparing notes with you for properties you're seriously considering they ARE NOT an investment focused Realtor, they're a retail Realtor that's posing for some extra business. If this is an investment your Realtor should not be pushing you to buy something that doesn't meet your investment criteria, and should not be surprised by the numbers. Pick your team wisely!

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    6y
    SF Bay Area is even harder, though the market is starting to signs of dropping since many startups are laying people off.

    It's hard to find a balance between better culture and better real estate opportunities, but better can be subjective.

    Based on my understanding, in some parts of this country, you can buy turn key new construction home and still meet the 1% rule when you rent out.  That may be the path of least resistance.

    Originally posted by @Vasily R.:

    I learned so much from this post. Thanks everybody. Vaughn's reply above especially is making me wonder. I'm not tied by anything in this city other than my job, and since I got my green card after moving from Canada's east-coast 5 years ago (where my family resides), I have almost no particular attachment to this city. I am focusing on building wealth while I'm relatively young, and sounds like Seattle is just a harder place to follow the real estate strategy to achieve my financial goals. Tech jobs can be found all over the country, and perhaps taking a pay cut isn't such a bad idea if I can trade that for better culture, lower crime rates, better real estate opportunities, etc.

    Meeting up with a different friend involved in real estate to give me a different perspective, but so far I'm definitely holding to my guns.

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    6y
    If you do this, you miss out on the tax benefits of owning a primary residence, and low primary residence interest rates.

    Originally posted by @Whitney Hutten:

    @Vasily R. Have you considered the old adage... "Live where you want, invest where it makes sense."   Seattle is like where I live... it's an appreciation play, not a cashflow play.  The property will not rent for what you can cover the mortgage for unless you put more cash down and then your returns drop drastically.  Different markets behave differently.  I work with several people from the area to help them reposition their assets and when I dig into their portfolios they generally cashflow between -5-1%.  Not good.

    What if you took your funds and invested out of state?  At least out of your area?  Spokane has a few multi although it's getting overheated as well. PM me if you have any Q's!

  • Rental Property Investor · West Seattle · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Vasily R. I'll tell you our situation, which I asked about here on BG and am getting absolutely railed for proposing. It seems like making moves in Seattle is going to be speculation unless you are making cash offers. We live in a 3/2.5 luxury townhome in W Seattle right now and just bought another home with a ready to go ADU in W Seattle (under list price) with traditional financing. We are keeping the townhome as a rental. Here are the numbers for us:

    Current mortgage: $3400 + $250 HOA (pays for W/S/G) = $3650/mth

    Lease agreement: $3500/mth (plus we offered a $500 cash bonus for approved application); 1yr month lease = $3,458

    New mortgage: $3950

    Projected ADU rental income (not yet secured): $1200-1500

    We are in negative cash flow (-$192/mth) on the townhome (plus anything not covered by warranty or insurance goes wrong with a 2019 new build), but selling right now isn't an option and staying means we just wait until everyone else is back in the market out-competing us. 

    Things have to go right for us (this is speculation, not investment), but overall our monthly cost savings are anywhere from $500 - $1000 depending on the rent from the ADU. To us, we are betting that the market will continue to rise (or dip then rise) and we will be better positioned to sell at a later time and rent prices will increase for a 3/2.5 townhome. If we are wrong, we will pay for a very valuable lesson. This is a long term position for us and luckily we have jobs that can help us weather most storms.

    Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you proceed!

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Suzanna Smith I think you hit the nail right on the head with the speculation vs investment contrast. That feels correct, and what the reality is (and what my current agents are trying to sell me on) is that in this market we are mostly investing in an uncertain future reward based on speculation of the market. As BP has taught me, cashflow is king because you can very accurately calculate what your cashflow/ROI will be on a property, since all the data you need is already out there.


    Sure, things will get better for me after something like year 6 for me because then I would hit 20% equity and refi and get rid of the expensive FHA insurance, but even then, not to mention the refi fees, my data is still not projecting a positive cashflow. That's how bad it is. My only way out would be to sell it eventually, and that's a marathon I don't want to run.

    Sounds like you are well aware of the risks and benefits and have a concrete plan, so I'm sure it will work out for you. Good luck.

  • Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 129 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Vasily R.:

    I learned so much from this post. Thanks everybody. Vaughn's reply above especially is making me wonder. I'm not tied by anything in this city other than my job, and since I got my green card after moving from Canada's east-coast 5 years ago (where my family resides), I have almost no particular attachment to this city. I am focusing on building wealth while I'm relatively young, and sounds like Seattle is just a harder place to follow the real estate strategy to achieve my financial goals. Tech jobs can be found all over the country, and perhaps taking a pay cut isn't such a bad idea if I can trade that for better culture, lower crime rates, better real estate opportunities, etc.

    Meeting up with a different friend involved in real estate to give me a different perspective, but so far I'm definitely holding to my guns.

    I'm glad I got you thinking. That's the most important thing. You don't want to keep your thinking in a narrow box. After living in Seattle for years, and really loving it, it was hard for me to accept that the place had simply completely changed into something I was faaaaar less fond of. Seattle will never be the great place it was when I moved here ever again. That the financial aspects also made zero sense was icing on the cake in terms of me deciding to leave. Why would I want to live in a place where I needed to scrimp, save, and barely squeak by to buy a place, when in most of the country I could buy a 5,000 square foot house in the nicest neighborhood in town right now??? Not that I WILL buy a place like that of course, I'm too much of a tight wad and want to invest too heavily for that! However what that means is buying a nice 4 bedroom in a decent neighborhood in such places, which is a solid "lifestyle," will still leave me with tons of income to invest.

    But you have to decide the lifestyle you want, what trade offs you're willing to make for what things. Don't mind hyper liberal politics or snow? Maybe Chicago would be alright for you. Hate liberal politics and snow? Maybe you should look in Texas or the south. Like flashy areas? Miami is half the cost for property as Seattle. Discovered you could maybe deal with a metro that's a bit smaller? Well maybe Spokane, Boise, or a ton of cities in the Midwest might do the trick for you. Once you can think through what you want/don't want, then start kind of check listing all that stuff in your head (or a spreadsheet if you want to get OCD!) then you can decide what places might be good for you. 

    Other than being almost 100% positive I will be WAY happier once I move from here, one of the things that really helped me being okay with bailing out of here is that YOU CAN ALWAYS MOVE AGAIN. If you find you can't stand the place where you moved to, just try somewhere else. You'll have likely made some sound investments that you can either hold onto or sell, and just move on. Maybe the next place will be perfect for you. There's been a kind of "super cycle" with these major cities that has made them very, very unlivable. They're less affordable than any other time in history by the numbers. White collar workers with high incomes have never had to struggle like this ever before, even in "cool" coastal cities. This is a new thing the last couple decades. I think a lot of younger people like you and I are figuring this out, and bailing.

    Anyway, just keep thinking and hopefully the perfect plan/place will pop into your head!

  • Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 129 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Adrian Chu:
    SF Bay Area is even harder, though the market is starting to signs of dropping since many startups are laying people off.

    It's hard to find a balance between better culture and better real estate opportunities, but better can be subjective.

    Based on my understanding, in some parts of this country, you can buy turn key new construction home and still meet the 1% rule when you rent out.  That may be the path of least resistance.


    Better culture is very subjective! As I said, many cities are larger than SF or Seattle. On net they have more stuff going on. But if you're super "into" the hyper woke coastal city thing, one might not like them as much. But IMO even one is into that sort of thing, there are plenty of places that give you a taste of that while not being as crazy expensive. Austin is an obvious one. Several cities in the midwest are turning into that a bit, like Madison.

    IMO if something doesn't work for you, you can always think through the issue and find an alternative! Personally I want to get OUT of Seattle because it's gone too far that way. I was fine with it when it was quirky, filled with silly hippies and grunge sorts, and run by Bill Clinton from the 90s style liberals. It had it's pros and cons, but I could deal with the cons. But the level of crazy has just stepped up too far for my liking here. I'm pretty libertarian, so I will be peeved by different parts of government/political culture no matter where I go, but at least in a red state they're not trying to destroy my financial life by a death of 1,000 cuts. 

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Vaughn K. are you calculating in the benefits of loan pay-down? Cashflow is king, but you are also still building long term wealth even without factoring in appreciation.


    All of our properties in Seattle cash-flow- we put 5-20% down (no 3% loans), have always done moderate to significant repairs/rehabs, and buy in the nicer South Seattle neighboorhoods (North Beacon Hill, Admiral District of West Seattle, Central District). Although prices have caught up significantly, South Seattle is still a better rental market than North Seattle or the Eastside. Additionally, as these are single family homes we're buying and we weren't going FHA the properties still qualified for conventional.

    I am definitely still seeing deals that are cash-flow neutral at 3-5% down and cash flow positive at 5-20% down. Set your MLS criteria to 5+ bedrooms and estimate rent at $800 a bedroom and you'll see 2-4 workable deals a month. Feel free to send me a direct message if you want me to alert you when one of these kinds of properties hits the market.

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Michael Haas

    Could you elaborate on the SFH strategy you outlined? What do you mean by 8+ bedrooms? Is it the situation that Adrian was describing above where each bedroom has a different occupant? That sounds like a gigantic house, wouldn't those usually be McMansions that cost way too much to begin with? And how many kitchens and bedrooms would that have? Is it a roommate type situation where everything is shared with strangers? Any more info would be appreciated. Thanks

  • Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 129 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Haas:

    @Vaughn K. are you calculating in the benefits of loan pay-down? Cashflow is king, but you are also still building long term wealth even without factoring in appreciation.


    All of our properties in Seattle cash-flow- we put 5-20% down (no 3% loans), have always done moderate to significant repairs/rehabs, and buy in the nicer South Seattle neighboorhoods (North Beacon Hill, Admiral District of West Seattle, Central District). Although prices have caught up significantly, South Seattle is still a better rental market than North Seattle or the Eastside. Additionally, as these are single family homes we're buying and we weren't going FHA the properties still qualified for conventional.

    I am definitely still seeing deals that are cash-flow neutral at 3-5% down and cash flow positive at 5-20% down. Set your MLS criteria to 5+ bedrooms and estimate rent at $800 a bedroom and you'll see 2-4 workable deals a month. Feel free to send me a direct message if you want me to alert you when one of these kinds of properties hits the market.

     Hi Michael,

    I think you're on the same page as I was before I decided to blow out of this whole area! I was in fact thinking either south Seattle, or Shoreline/Mountlake Terrace. I was going to do a large house, preferably 5 bedrooms maybe PLUS a convertible basement, and rent by the room. I was especially looking for one that already had an ADU or mother in law apartment. I haven't been keeping up on stuff around here, so don't know how the relative upside of north of Seattle vs south has changed, but back then they were comparable-ish.

    I can totally believe you can still eek out the numbers you're talking about by:

    1. Buying a rehab job, and getting it done on budget.

    2. Renting by the room.

    Thing is, that's all stuff you don't have to do in most of the USA to barely break even on cashflow. You can close your eyes and just point at a random house for sale on Zillow and cashflow that much almost everywhere geographically in the USA. In most of the country going through that amount of extra effort will net you like 2% rule or better!

    It never ceases to amaze me how few people have heard of this before on here, but a major study that looked at something like a century (give or take) of RE data in the USA found that the overall rate of return in cash flow vs appreciation markets was basically identical over the long term. They were both 10 point something percent over the long haul I believe. They looked at cash flow, appreciation, pay down, basically all the major metrics one would think to cover to get a good picture. IIRC the study was done at some big university (Harvard maybe?) by a fancy economist. You can probably find it if you google.

    The short version of the story is this: All the positive cash flow, instead of negative or minimal, allows you to reinvest in more properties faster. Also all appreciation markets are more volatile, seeing periods of rapid upswings, and down. Cash flow comes in steadily. Everybody focuses on the years where SF or Seattle goes up 10% a year, ignoring the flat or outright negative years in between. Once it's averaged out, it's not nearly as impressive. "Cash flow" markets also DO tend to appreciate, just not at amounts much higher than inflation... But when you have fixed debts, 2-3% a year still adds up a lot over decades. In truth, the risk adjusted return is actually higher in positive cash flow areas, as you don't have the volatility. 

    Main reason I don't want to invest in Seattle is because I don't want to live here anymore, and I'd prefer to invest in the general area where I will be moving to. Washington state, and Seattle in particular, are becoming RABIDLY anti business. That's the main reason I'm not sticking around this area. I don't trust Seattle to not pass some insane law that completely ruins my life. Also, other non financial laws are becoming far too oppressive around here too. I'm an American, some sides of my family have been on this continent since the 1600s, multiple fought in the Revolutionary War... I like my freedom. Washington in general, and Seattle in particular, are no longer good places to be for people who like freedom from government oppression. 

    Only reason I may live in Spokane when I go over there is because I can pack up and move the 15-30 minutes down I90 at the drop of a dime when it suits me if Washington state passes something too stupid to want to tolerate. By my rough calculations I'm still slightly better off financially in WA for the moment because of the lack of an income tax, but if that ever changes, or if incremental changes in other laws get too bad, ID will be right there waiting for me! And I won't have to completely upend my life, make new friends, learn a new area etc. Just live 15 minutes further down the road!

    I have read plenty of stats over the years, and IMO by the metrics I think are most important, there is just not much upside left in Seattle in the near  to mid term. As an agent, were you aware that as neighborhoods in Seattle approached the 1 million dollar average sale price they almost all stopped going up a penny? Some of them peaked 4-5 YEARS ago and haven't budged since. What then happened is cheaper neighborhoods rapidly shot up. Why? Because even in flashy Seattle, high income tech people can STILL only afford to spend so much. That is essentially the upper bounds, there's no more blood to be squeezed from Seattle area residents. Look at the average price here, and the number of areas that are well below that. Maybe south Seattle has a tiny bit of room, but not another 10 years of 10% appreciation. How exactly is ANYBODY, including dual income 6 figure earners going to be able to spend 2 million or 3 million on a 3-4 bedroom house in 10 years? Because that's where it would have to land to see similar appreciation in percentage terms to what happened the last decade. It just isn't possible. No upside.

    Also, being that the average prices here are way above what many traditional metrics say is sustainable, all it ever would have taken was for one little hiccup (A recession, Amazon shifting to hiring elsewhere, other cities getting more tech jobs in general... Oh wait, all of those are starting to happen! Uh oh!) to hit, and the prices have PLENTY of room to drop. So, little potential for the rapid and magical appreciation that has made the last several years a big money maker, and lots of potential to drop... Not good cash flow... Doesn't sound like the kind of place I want to put my money.

    More power to people who want to live in a place like this, invest in their backyard, and jump the extra hoops to make it all work. I wish them all the best! But I don't want to be that guy. The only way I would ever invest here is if prices dropped like they did in '08, and then I would probably sell out within a few years of the bounce back and invest elsewhere. But even then with the anti landlord laws we have, and more inevitably to come, I don't know that I would even want to do it then.

    Not trying to knock you since you're an agent around here, you have to try to sell houses, and it sounds like you're on point for making the best of the Seattle area situation for investors... But again, just not my cup of tea around here anymore. I wish it was. If you'd asked me 15 years ago I probably would have told you I'd live in Seattle for the rest of my life, but the way things have gone down since then that just ain't gonna happen.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.