Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
@James McGovern, because gurus are marketers first and operators... hopefully... a distant second. I know you mentioned flippers, but the MF gurus are typically guys who barely got their first deal done, and then realized they actually need to make money somehow until the deal hopefully sells for a profit. So, they take to teaching.
And while, there are some people who are purely drawn to teaching others, MOST that are teaching any capitalistic pursuit, are doing so to make money themselves. In flipping, like multifamily, it is just a lead magnet. "Buy my course to make millions in real estate". Then it goes one of two ways: 1. The guru makes it sound so hard that you need to pay their upsale. Find them a deal, they will finance it, they will bring their contractors in (for an additional fee) and they will walk you through everything for a share of the profits too.
2. Make it sound simple, so you go out and realize that it isn't that easy, and then need to go back to them for an upsale like in option 1.
Being a guru has nothing to do with knowing anything about how to do something. It has everything to do with marketing yourself as an expert to make money.
Why does it seem as if every guru teaches new flippers to do swing a hammer and demo kitchen cabinets when there is often much more to do?
none of the gurus teach how to inspect a property and what to lookout for?
is the formula always to get a half decent looking female and ask her to choose countertops and tile?
why do they suggest that a flip can be done in ten days?
One of the guys from Triple Dip Flip, the A&E show, in a recent video says they lost over $500,000 with the properties the were working with. He said A&E wouldn't want you to know that.
@Ken M. The numbers that A&E shows seem very fictitious
They are. It's a joke. But too many people get excited and end up paying thousands to some schmuck in a wifebeater, driving while screaming at you because you aren't taking care of your family so send him $8,997.00 and you will succeed. (guru camp must teach them how to always end pricing with a 7)!
Why does it seem as if every guru teaches new flippers to do swing a hammer and demo kitchen cabinets when there is often much more to do?
none of the gurus teach how to inspect a property and what to lookout for?
is the formula always to get a half decent looking female and ask her to choose countertops and tile?
why do they suggest that a flip can be done in ten days?
One of the guys from Triple Dip Flip, the A&E show, in a recent video says they lost over $500,000 with the properties the were working with. He said A&E wouldn't want you to know that.
I would think that would make the show even more interesting. I guess they think that would stop viewership because it takes away the Dream factor.
Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
@James McGovern, because gurus are marketers first and operators... hopefully... a distant second. I know you mentioned flippers, but the MF gurus are typically guys who barely got their first deal done, and then realized they actually need to make money somehow until the deal hopefully sells for a profit. So, they take to teaching.
And while, there are some people who are purely drawn to teaching others, MOST that are teaching any capitalistic pursuit, are doing so to make money themselves. In flipping, like multifamily, it is just a lead magnet. "Buy my course to make millions in real estate". Then it goes one of two ways: 1. The guru makes it sound so hard that you need to pay their upsale. Find them a deal, they will finance it, they will bring their contractors in (for an additional fee) and they will walk you through everything for a share of the profits too.
2. Make it sound simple, so you go out and realize that it isn't that easy, and then need to go back to them for an upsale like in option 1.
Being a guru has nothing to do with knowing anything about how to do something. It has everything to do with marketing yourself as an expert to make money.
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
Because it's a lot easier and more scalable to find a someone desperate enough to give a guru money than it is to find a deal.
The information they're "teaching" their victims, I mean students, is irrelevant; they're all selling the same thing - money, freedom, more time with your family, blah blah.
Some people are good at real estate, and some people are good at self promotion.
Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
1y
Why does it seem so many gurus (of any industry) seem like they just got out of prison. They got jacked in the yard and think people are impressed by wearing shades, wife beaters and being loud. So many use "insults" as a CTA.
Why does it seem so many gurus (of any industry) seem like they just got out of prison. They got jacked in the yard and think people are impressed by wearing shades, wife beaters and being loud. So many use "insults" as a CTA.
Nate,
Guys and gals looks more respectable fully clothed…. IMO
The level of disgust even goes up higher for guys wearing semi shorts shorts in their podcast.🤢🤮
What’s up with the guys with flabby arms wearing muscle shirts as well.😖
I can understand those it’s been working out trying to show case, but maybe they should be working at a gym instead of trying to pretend that they’re real estate billionaires…🤣 yes
Why does it seem so many gurus (of any industry) seem like they just got out of prison. They got jacked in the yard and think people are impressed by wearing shades, wife beaters and being loud. So many use "insults" as a CTA.
Nate,
Guys and gals looks more respectable fully clothed…. IMO
The level of disgust even goes up higher for guys wearing semi shorts shorts in their podcast.🤢🤮
What’s up with the guys with flabby arms wearing muscle shirts as well.😖
I can understand those it’s been working out trying to show case, but maybe they should be working at a gym instead of trying to pretend that they’re real estate billionaires…🤣 yes
Most of them are Andrew Tate and Wes Watson types. Got jacked in the prison yard at Joilet. Likely still on parole. Pitching real estate, crypto, supplements and overdone testosterone from the prison yard.
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
I know a few people who became gurus/mentors/coaches, not on a national level but one of them has ads on Instagram now. I was shocked that one particular investor friend is now trying to sell coaching courses.
One of them is also an agent and I asked for help for a friend who was looking for a property here. This guru/coach told me to contact the admin assistant for their coaching courses. This didn't sit well with me if I'm referring friends to S.F. Bay Area real estate agents to buy properties not to be sales pitched a course.
I know a few people who became gurus/mentors/coaches, not on a national level but one of them has ads on Instagram now. I was shocked that one particular investor friend is now trying to sell coaching courses.
One of them is also an agent and I asked for help for a friend who was looking for a property here. This guru/coach told me to contact the admin assistant for their coaching courses. This didn't sit well with me if I'm referring friends to S.F. Bay Area real estate agents to buy properties not to be sales pitched a course.
I saw someone who had less than 5 years in real estate marketing their book. I just started shaking my head. The person probably never had a deal go full cycle but were writing books on how to make money in real estate.
I know a few people who became gurus/mentors/coaches, not on a national level but one of them has ads on Instagram now. I was shocked that one particular investor friend is now trying to sell coaching courses.
One of them is also an agent and I asked for help for a friend who was looking for a property here. This guru/coach told me to contact the admin assistant for their coaching courses. This didn't sit well with me if I'm referring friends to S.F. Bay Area real estate agents to buy properties not to be sales pitched a course.
I saw someone who had less than 5 years in real estate marketing their book. I just started shaking my head. The person probably never had a deal go full cycle but were writing books on how to make money in real estate.
The people I know who are coaching/mentoring are 29 to 36 years old. This course costs $10k a year but there's a less expensive option without 1:1 coach but access to office hours and an online forum to post (just under $2000).
Not to be age discriminatory but someone who is 30 now was 13 years old in 2008. They scaled from 2014 to 2021 quickly using a very high W2 income. That's not a full real estate cycle. I'd rather take advice from some of the older California investors on BP who have been through the ups and downs.
Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 9 votes
1y
I'm running a 3-day EXPERT seminar where I will TEACH you all the worst guru practices and how to avoid them. Tickets are on sale for only $200,000 per person and are VERY LIMITED so act now or risk dying alone, poor, and ugly.
I'm running a 3-day EXPERT seminar where I will TEACH you all the worst guru practices and how to avoid them. Tickets are on sale for only $200,000 per person and are VERY LIMITED so act now or risk dying alone, poor, and ugly.
I'm running a 3-day EXPERT seminar where I will TEACH you all the worst guru practices and how to avoid them. Tickets are on sale for only $200,000 per person and are VERY LIMITED so act now or risk dying alone, poor, and ugly.
Apparently dressing in a wifebeater and screaming while looking like Andrew Tate and that they got jacked in the yard at Joliet is a thing now.
I'm running a 3-day EXPERT seminar where I will TEACH you all the worst guru practices and how to avoid them. Tickets are on sale for only $200,000 per person and are VERY LIMITED so act now or risk dying alone, poor, and ugly.
Apparently dressing in a wifebeater and screaming while looking like Andrew Tate and that they got jacked in the yard at Joliet is a thing now.
Which guru is screaming? I can think of two guys that yell but one is dressed respectably. Is the other one that talks about starting with wholesaling? I'm on Instagram a lot and trying to think of who this is, no TikTok though. What are his initials? haha 😂
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y
No one wants to hear that it's hard to make a buck. There is no "easy" way to start or run a business: hard work, sacrifice, persistence AND lucky timing all play into success. Scammers and gurus alike get people to pay them to tell them what they want to hear. Edited to add: starting a business means taking RISK-- there is no path to certain success.
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
I personally love the 20 year olds selling section 8 courses and shooting their social media videos with $250K cars in the background. I get a good laugh each time I see them. Close second are the people who allege to have massive fortunes....in the hundreds of millions.... yet are selling courses for a few grand a pop. Just doesn't add up.