Real Estate "Degree"?

Real Estate "Degree"?

Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes

Hello everyone. Going to get right to the point here...

I'm 17 years old, will be a senior in highschool this year, and college is creeping up fast. There's no doubt REI is the path I am taking and several seasoned investors told me a college degree isn't exactly necessary. I know college is good but seems irrelevant. I'm going to get my brokers license once I turn 18. My parents demand (won't take no for an answer, I've tried) that I go to college. My parents don't have the money to put me through college, so I have to pay my own way using whatever J-O-B *tear* that I have. I was planning on using that money to get deeper into REI instead of using it for college. So my question is, is there any "degree" for real estate? Is there any classes I can take to recieve a legit diploma along the lines of real estate? I'm not talking about just classes, courses, guru classes, I'm talking about a legit college completion certificate. If not, what would be my best course of study? What should I major in? Etc...Any advice would be VERY helpful. Thank you.

0Reply
177 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

Damon - One aspect that you really can't plan in are your personal growth and maturing during your late teens and early twenties. At 19 I saw the bright light and changed college majors from pre-med to business. After a twenty minute conversation with an acquaintance helped reveal to me my true calling I changed majors and never looked back. 

An accounting professor became a close friend and guided me towards real estate. He owned several blocks of apartments near campus and did not need to teach. 

At 21 my Dad died, during my fourth year of school. It was at this point that i knew i had to do a lot of growing up...in a hurry. 

I had been buying and selling sports cars as a side income when my godfather suggested I take a weekend seminar on how to buy foreclosures. Much like fixing up cars, he said. 

I got the "bug" and it has been part of my DNA ever since. That was 1978.

See this reply in the discussion

79 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    12y

    Damon,

    Get after it. I have a friend that bought his first house at 16(a cheap rental). He now has 2 rentals and the house he lives in.

  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    12y

    @Damon Armstrong 

    I have a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance & Real Estate.  Would you consider getting your license & working in real estate while you are getting your degree?  

    It took me a bit longer to finish but that's what I did. 

    If money is tight consider taking business & real estate classes at a community college.

    Good luck on what could be a very bright future

  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Ellis San Jose 

    I am considering getting my brokers license and working in real estate while getting my degree but only as an investor, not as a broker. I say this because I do not know exactly what a broker does. Is it commission based? Salary? Hourly pay for a real estate agency? The reason I want my brokers license is because I know they have access to MLS and save thousands of dollars on closing costs.

    Also yes, I am planning on taking these courses at Baton Rouge Community College.

    If I can get my brokers license as soon as I turn 18, I'll have it by time I start college and will have a solid income if it is not commission based. That would be a great job for me while in college.

    I want to graduate college with a concentration in real estate also.

    Did you get your agents license or brokers license?

  • Real Estate Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    I don't know about other states, but in Texas you have to be an active real estate agent for 5 years before you can get your broker's license. Check with your state to confirm.
  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    Ok will do, now that you mention it I do believe I've heard that before. Thank you. @Account Closed 

  • Torrance, CA · Member since 2014 · 40 posts · 8 votes
    12y
    I'm in the same situation as you, but in a few years older lol. I'm going to go for a BA in finance. Consider taking some courses on accounting, it would be a great skill to be comfortable managing your own money and financial decisions.
  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

    I may just get in touch with the college I plan on attending and ask them directly what type of classes they offer. The college is about 2.5 hours from where I live now so I am considering, and trying to figure out how as an 18 year old freshmen in college I can purchase anything from a duplex to a quadplex and live for free instead of paying for a dorm or paying a landlord rent. I'm really trying to figure out how I will be able to make that work with no credit.

  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    12y

    @Damon Armstrong 

    While I attended college I worked for a group of investors who acquired distressed properties at foreclosure sales.  Best education I ever received.

    Consider finding out who the successful real estate investors/entrepreneurs are in your area and do everything you can to get on the inside. Not too big or you may get buried in a cubicle somewhere licking stamps.

    I have my brokers license, & I am grateful to have it. However, I would say it is one of the least important things in determining success in real estate investing.

    You are right that investing well reaps higher rewards than commissions. But, don't be too sour on commissions, with the proper perspective, it's like writing your own paycheck. It can provide some investment capital for your own portfolio.

  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Ellis San Jose 

    Yes I'll definitely try getting in with some investors in Baton Rouge when I move there. The reasons I want to get my brokers license is because I want access to MLS for buy/hold properties, it will make it much easier to find comps, and again, save money at the closing table. I didn't mean anything bad about commission based jobs, but as a college student working off of commission like an agent would not be very benfecial. If I were to work on commission I'd prefer to it be wholesaling/bird dog "commissions". Do brokers work off of commission? Did you have to be an active agent in order to get your brokers license?

  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    12y

    @Damon Armstrong 

    Most brokers are compensated by commission.  Research your states real estate licensing requirements.  

    In my state, back then, I could get a brokers license 2 ways:

    1) Have a college degree & the required real estate classes plus pass the test or:

    2) Get an agents license & work in the industry for a required number of years, take additional real estate classes, then pass the test.

  • Rehabber · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2013 · 864 posts · 510 votes
    12y
    Ellis is pointing you in the right direction. My degree is in Finance. Don't know that I'd skip those 4 years of beer and freshman girls for anything, but I applaud your efforts. There are RE degrees but nothing that'll do much for your investing business. I've got over 1,000 class hours (seminars) in RE, but no diploma. I do get some nice checks here and there, though, which I like better. Your best bet IMO is to take an extra year or two to do the school, keep your parents happy, work for an investor. I don't know LA law, you guys do a lot of things differently since its French system based vs. English like the rest of the country, but Id almost guarantee you need a license for a few years before you can be a broker. Your work experience will serve you WAY better than your class stuff in this biz, and the best way to learn is hang out with people doing deals that you can be a part of. Having the degree is not a bad thing. I personally learned more from reading and doing than I ever did in school, but "my degree is in Finance" still carries weight to all kinds of folks, including my lenders.
  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Ellis San Jose 

     Thanks. I was considering going down the business/finance route as well. I was just looking to see if there were specific real estate related majors or classes. Some people major in history, or biology, or whatever, I was hoping it is possible to major in real estate. It seems as though I shoud take the finance/business route and take some real estate classes while I'm there.

    @Darrell Shepherd 

    I'll like to look into those real estate degrees even though they may not help with my investing business just to see exactly what they offer (only because that is what I was initially looking for). I am definitely aiming toward the financing side now, though. I really never thought about how having a degree in financing may carry weight to lenders. That's a great point. My thought of college is this: If I go to college, I'll be spending whatever money I make on paying my way through it, not investing. I'd much rather a) save that money for down payments instead of class enrollment b) spend it on marketing to generate leads instead of books, and c) start building cash reserves (important for investors who want to buy/hold, right?)

  • Professional · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2012 · 124 posts · 70 votes
    12y

    @Damon Armstrong I started in real estate when I was 20. Best thing I ever did. I would suggest you go to college for the right reasons. Since you are asking for advice, I will give you my two cents. Just keep in mind that this is what I would do in your shoes and not necessarily the one, true, and right solution.
    With that in mind read on. 
    As many others have posted there is not really a real estate degree that will be exactly what you need. As a real estate investor for over a decade, the most useful knowledge sets I have are finance, business, accounting, and construction; in that order. If you must attend college, then I recommend taking finance as your major and making a lot of friends with people while you are there. Many of them will go into the finance world and will be great relationships to have. Making connections is the most important part of college. You can always pick up books, and BiggerPockets, to get whatever knowledge you may need. The college campus is one of the highest concentrations of people you want to connect with. Treat it as a huge business networking event.
    Also I think you should get your real estate license and make that your primary source of income. Try to start off as a salaried or hourly full time or part time assistant to another agent or a broker. You might even take a similar approach to a local real estate investor.
    I commend you for setting a goal and going after it. I must encourage you to not let college inhibit your goals and drive for success.

  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Josh James 

    I definitely thought about using college as a networking tool. Networking with upcoming contractors, bankers, whoever, and just building a relationship early on for equal beneficial opportunities in the long run. I'll get my license and see if I can work for an agent or broker in Baton Rouge. I'll have to have that lined up before I even graduate highschool. So I really need to jump on it when I turn 18. I'd like to work with investors more than agents or brokers, but not sure how me having a license would benefit anything. I will need a GED or High School diploma to get my license so in order to get my license as soon as I turn 18 I need to start looking into getting my GED now. Its hard being younger because most people only have the "Do I get my license?" question. I have the "Do I get my license?" the "Do I go to college?" and the "What to go to college for?" questions....It'll all fall into place I know it will. Its just going to take alot of hard work and getting past non-motivating people (my parents). So I guess my plan is to look into how soon I can get my GED. If it is before I'm 18 I'll do it. If not, I'll wait until I have my diploma and then get it. Once I have my diploma and license I'll look for a job in Baton Rouge under someone. I will also use all graduation money and savings too put as a down payment for a duplex, triplex, or quadplex using the FHA loan. Depending on what I find that is affordable. Not looking for huge returns on that, just looking for free living.

  • Professional · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2012 · 124 posts · 70 votes
    12y

    I think you are wise for asking questions here. I found myself in a similar situation when I was exiting the eighth grade. I was considering skipping high school and going straight into college. I had the test scores I needed, but my family strongly encouraged me to attend high school instead. So I went to high school, then college. I had followed their plan, but not mine. Had I started younger, I would be farther ahead today. Despite that four year setback, by my mid twenties I had several properties. I owned and some and I managed others. You will meet a lot of non-motivating people along the way. Stay your course, do not let them steer you astray.
    On a side note, do not be surprised if you encounter age discrimination. I encountered a lot of it. Sadly it is legal in my state. Only people over 40 are protected from age discrimination in Texas.

  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Josh James 

    That is absurd! I'm afraid by going to college and dumping every dime I make into my degree, I'll be 4 years behind when I start investing once I get out of college. It's a scary thought, it really is. I hate, absolutely hate the fact that I cannot invest in real estate (or be allowed too) for another 4 months. I can't imagine the feeling of having to wait 4 years...Honestly, during college while working with these investors if things take off for me, to where school is really getting in the way of making money I'll just drop out. I have much more passion for real estate than I do school. That's just me. School is boring, and real estate is not. It's full of unlimited opportunity to learn, grow, and make money all at the same time. It allows you to open your mind and be creative and do so while making lasting friendships and partners. School, to me, you sit down, go to sleep, and leave when the bell rings. Just kidding...Kind of. It's just hard decisions.

  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    The more I think about it the better college sounds. I've never had an interest in school other than math. So maybe college classes that DO interest me such as finances and maybe few basic construction classes will interest me. That may make it less torturing. I think I just have "senioritis". Besides the knowledge I get in college will be beneficial as far as real estate goes.  

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Birmingham, MI · Member since 2014 · 179 posts · 54 votes
    12y
    if you enjoy real estate who is to say college isn't your path to happiness working for a large firm upon graduating with a college degree? It's impressive to hear you would like to start right away creating your own path to financial success-- maybe college is just a pit stop on your way there? I just recently listened to a guest lecturer at business school (top mba) who was a managing director at black rock.If you are interested in real estate ...listening to this exec talk about black rocks strategy to acquire 150k SFR around the nation and spend billions would be sure to get your blood pumping. Maybe your highest and best use is working on things bigger than rentals, flips, and buy and holds. what about development, investment companies with RE focus, or construction management? I would always advocate for a formal education. I'll put my business acumen obtained from a big ten finance degree and top mba against 20 years of experience any day. Guess what- financial markets, real- estate, macro-economics, credit markets, all evolve over time and are fluid. Your 20 years experience is discounted b/c of an ever changing environment. It's more about the tools you have in your bag and how you adapt-- a formal education in business and finance gives you the tools. $.02
  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

    Thank you for your response. However, before I respond I want to make sure I understand you. Are you suggesting using a college education to work for a really big company in the field I desire, and in return getting a nice salary?

  • Real Estate Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Josh James  - Can you expand further on the comment you made about age discrimination in Texas?  I've never heard of such a thing and I'm curious...

  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Josh James 

    it didnt work on your for some reason so i got it @Account Closed 

  • Richmond, British Columbia · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Just going to chime in with my opinion. I think post secondary education is a tool to be used as you wish. In a way it can accomplish things like networking or learning to an extent, but it's by no means the only path to follow :D I feel like there are so many different ways to learn the same things that you can get whatever results you like by the path that you're most comfortable with. I chose to forego post secondary, mostly because I hated being in classrooms (I'm 18 at the moment). Instead I contacted a land development/commerical realtor that my brother had worked under previously and asked him if I could apprentice under him to to learn more about deals and understand how they work better. 

    So if going to college is something you're going to do only because your parents insist, it may be something you end up regretting in the future. That being said, nothing's permanent! You can always change paths if one turns out too difficult. Just know that you can get where you want to go by almost any method you want. The cool thing is that you know what the different paths hold and you seem to have all the steps planned out, so that's great! I think you've done a lot of thinking about this choice, so you should pick the one you feel best about. If nothing else, the path you're most comfortable is likely the one that will keep you most motivated and in the end motivation is the one thing that will keep you moving forward no matter how bad things may get.

    I hope my long-winded opinion helped :D 

  • Greenwood, IN · Member since 2012 · 95 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    Damon,

    I suggest you go to community college first if financing is your issue. If not jump right into a four year college. You can even use federal loans to put down on an FHA loan for a multi-family property. College is a great place to network with people of all areas of life. Including people with many investors or lendors in their networks.

    I have not yet bought my first property but did 4 years of college where I met many great people and had experiences you cannot put a price on.  Some of those people I have spoken with about investments and plan on making a move with them once I get back to America ( I am in my third year of my four year obligation in The Navy.)  

    As far as what you should major in I would recommend you just pick something you can stand for four years.  If you still dont have a direction finance or marketing would be ideal.  I am finishing my degree in communications and working on getting my realtors license.  

    Good luck to you.

  • Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Vamsi C. 

    Thanks, appreciate the post. Now that I really think about what I can benefit from college vs what it will take from me it kind of balances out. Learning about finances and business and accounting and whatever courses I take will be nothing but beneficial. It certainly wouldn't hurt. Not to to mention like he mentioned earlier in this forum that college would be a great place to network with like-minded peers or just people I can work with in general. I'm not worried about any classes being too hard, at all. I was always good in school, just don't necessarily like it. That was one thing that attracted me to real estate investing in the first place.

  • Scott SewellPro Member
    Investor · Anchorage AK and Hampton, VA · Member since 2012 · 140 posts · 82 votes
    12y

    @Damon Armstrong  You are an amazing young man my friend. I wish I'd had your focus and clarity at your age.

    My $.02 is:

     don't forgo formal education, just make it work for you. I like the advise of others about the Business/Finacial route. Also, I know that degrees in RE development are becoming more common.  The difference in going to school/classes when you have a clear picture or goal for why you're there, versus just doing it because you have to, is night and day. You'll be introduced to concepts that others will just memorize and regurgitate while you picture how they could be applied to make or grow your business and get exited about.

    With your drive (and focus) you remind me of a young Air force pilot I knew who at his first posting (here in Alaska) had the ability to buy a 4BR house and rented out the other 3 BR's to his fellow airmen. Not only did he have housing for free, he actually made a little money on the deal. Now maybe you couldn't buy a 4BR, but lease one while you're going to school? And sublet it to roommates? Maybe mom and dad could cosign for you? It would be a great way to show them you're serious! It would also give you A LOT of experience as a landlord in the process. College rentals can be tough!

    No doubt you have a bright future ahead. All the best to you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.