Real Estate "Degree"?

Real Estate "Degree"?

Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 40 votes

Hello everyone. Going to get right to the point here...

I'm 17 years old, will be a senior in highschool this year, and college is creeping up fast. There's no doubt REI is the path I am taking and several seasoned investors told me a college degree isn't exactly necessary. I know college is good but seems irrelevant. I'm going to get my brokers license once I turn 18. My parents demand (won't take no for an answer, I've tried) that I go to college. My parents don't have the money to put me through college, so I have to pay my own way using whatever J-O-B *tear* that I have. I was planning on using that money to get deeper into REI instead of using it for college. So my question is, is there any "degree" for real estate? Is there any classes I can take to recieve a legit diploma along the lines of real estate? I'm not talking about just classes, courses, guru classes, I'm talking about a legit college completion certificate. If not, what would be my best course of study? What should I major in? Etc...Any advice would be VERY helpful. Thank you.

0Reply
191 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

Damon - One aspect that you really can't plan in are your personal growth and maturing during your late teens and early twenties. At 19 I saw the bright light and changed college majors from pre-med to business. After a twenty minute conversation with an acquaintance helped reveal to me my true calling I changed majors and never looked back. 

An accounting professor became a close friend and guided me towards real estate. He owned several blocks of apartments near campus and did not need to teach. 

At 21 my Dad died, during my fourth year of school. It was at this point that i knew i had to do a lot of growing up...in a hurry. 

I had been buying and selling sports cars as a side income when my godfather suggested I take a weekend seminar on how to buy foreclosures. Much like fixing up cars, he said. 

I got the "bug" and it has been part of my DNA ever since. That was 1978.

See this reply in the discussion

79 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 171 posts · 116 votes
    10y

    When I was in my college years I bought a duplex and rented the building by the bed.  It was less expensive for my classmates than living on campus and it brought in more money than had I rented out the building at fair market value as I could collect rent based on the bed (several bunk beds throughout).  Now that I am past that stage in life I still own the duplex and it cash flows handsomely however I no longer rent it by the bed.

    I would recommend going to school for something that is in demand in the job market even if it is not what you want to do with your life (nursing, dentist, engineering).  You might need a job for a decade to fund the growth of your business and a degree will allow you to make a decent living while you build up your business.

  • Contractor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Cory Baker, i would seel a 14 year old properties. esspecially if they come with cash.  if they say they want to finance, ... i don't know if i would do that. probably not. maybe if they explain how they plan on finding the money.

    @Damon Armstrong

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.