Anyone recently purchase Jason's course? He has some commercial strategies that were very thought provoking. I believe he is new to the guru circuit, and notices everyone and there mom selling his product.
Paul,
That link to a "review" is from an affiliate site; that affiliate site will share in the "take" of revenues for all orders placed through the affiliate.
I would be very skeptical of any review that originates from such an affiliate site, as they have a stake in converting visitors into orders.
Gotta love the responses. When I first started this post, I had no idea the quality of info that would be conveyed.
I think that any guru out there needs to be thrown in the biggerpockets gut check.
Thanks to all the comments, I think that many including myself have saved roughly a grand for the course.
thanks
The TRUTH is that the gurus don't know ANYTHING that isn't available for FREE right here on BiggerPockets. In fact, it is 100% clear to me that most of them don't even have a basic understanding of the real estate business. If they did, they would be in the real estate investing business instead of the guru nonsense marketing business.
The truth is that most of the guru strategies are just NONSENSE! They invent gibberish to try to dazzle newbies, when in reality there is NOTHING new in real estate investing. Real estate investing has been around for thousands of years and it basically the same now as it has been forever!
My suggestion is to forget the guru gibberish and learn the basics of the BUSINESS!
Good Luck,
Mike
WOW, thank you everyone for your insight. I thought it was a a littkle on the nonsence side, and I refuse to make someone else rich when I struggled to get what I already have. I am new to the Business, but I can I have a decent noggen on my shoulders, and I prepare to use it.
Now that all being said, where can I find ACTUAL information and not the GURU stuff I was sifting through when I found Jason's site? Is there an "idiots guide" (for lack of better terminology) for someone like me who is just getting started?
It's right here on BiggerPockets and it's FREE! What information are you looking for?
Mike
I am looking for the proceedures, and costs related to them, to get started in commercial realestate. I have been struggling to make what little money I could in factories for the past 13 years, and I am tired of it. I need to know EVERYTHING there is to know about investing in realestate, and how I can make money at it.
Basically, where do I start, and how can I build up capital for the big projects that rake in the big money?
You start by first deciding what area of commercial real estate you want to pursue. Is that apartment buildings, self-storage, office space, strip malls, etc. What do you want to do?
Then, you learn about that business. You do WHATEVER IT TAKES including reading EVERY POST in the appropriate areas of this website; joining your local REIA and making friends with the SUCCESSFUL investors in your area that are doing what you want to do; learning your market, etc. This will require a significant amount of effort on your part.
Do whatever it takes to build up some cash and excellent credit. If that means working two full time jobs for the next couple of years, then so be it.
Finally, once you've done all that, be prepared to work harder than you've ever worked in your life and you are starting and building your business. If you count on 12 hours a day, 6 (or 7) days a week, you won't be far off.
Good Luck,
Mike
Thanks a lot Mike, I have been doing research on everything I can think of relating to commercial realestate. Thnkyou for the REIA tip as well. I never knew what it meant, but I have found my loical one and have been researching it extensively.
I am currently attending college for networking and IT, and plan on starting my own tech Business in a few years, then, if possible, branching out from there. I hear all the talk and advice about "Taking risks" to make the big money, but I would rather have a solid foundation to work from in the beginning.
Also, I have been researching the start up of realestate, and have come across the "OPM" strategy (Other People's Money). I see the validity, and also how it can work. Would it be faster to use a credit advance to this effect? Or, would it be better to just build it up myself with my own capital?
I bought Jason's program. I was most interested in the JV.
You are basically a broker w/o a license in getting the two parties together to do a developement. You are part of the entity if agreed. My problem is that his course is incomplete w/o sample JVF and JV agreements. I have work his course. It is not easy has he has stated. It take hard work and no yet made my first deal. I have seen no testimonial that anyone has succeded in the JV.Also, developer I talk to does not necessary have the money to fund large projects.
Good point, Will!!
"what if the owner in a MLO deal acquires an additional lien on the property such as a tax lien or what if he/she does not pay the mortgage, or what if he/she dies, or how to address capital improvements?"
In this case, you can 'walk away' when this is a violation stated in the contract by the seller, but walking away meaning you have just wasted all you time and money adding value to the property.
Maybe by putting the property in land trust (MLO,) and have trustee manages the property might have a certain level of 'security' on the buyer's side...
-Denise
Do you wonder why Jason Gilbert is giving away his secrets for only $1000?
I attended a PROA seminar a couple of months ago. I want to hear a local guy speak about self directed IRA's.
I had to sit and listen to a few guru's first, one guy said he was not there to sell books and tapes, but collected $997 from about 30 suckers. Not a bad paycheck for 45 minutes of his time. Quite a few of those new students gave me their business cards.
I have this little trick, I write the name of the courses these folks bought on the back of their cards, then I call them back in a month. Guess what all of them tell me?
Ripoff!
One guy went to Orlando, for a 3 day boot camp, he told me at the boot camp they were pitched a mentoring program for an additional $15,000! He actually bought it! Later he tried to cancel the transaction and was told he could not, but later the guru relented.
Can you imagine how much money this guy collected?
$997 and $15k, plus plane fair and hotel, the guy could have used that money for down money on a house. And all on his credit card at 28% interest.
Most folks could not payoff that balance in a year.
I agree these guru's have the right to market, but they know they are taking advantage of all of these students in the end.
Who knows Jason Gilbert's supposed deals may be totally bogus.
Like I said in a previous post, a local guru, put a deal forward showing unbelievable numbers, and I looked that property up on PropertyShark, the numbers on his deal were totally fabricated.
Yes he owns the building but the purchase price was lower than he stated, and the appraisal was about $100k high.
His motivation is clear $6000k and 7 folks signed up with credit cards in hand.
2 hours and he made $42k.
He was very relieved when I left without talking to any of his new suckers, I mean students.
LOL looks like MikeOH might have some competition on who's the biggest anti guru person on bigger pockets :mrgreen:
Tell me something Dennis judging by all the posts you made relating to gurus is there at least 1 guru or investor out there that you have come across that you would recommend or do you hate all gurus?
I found this review on the Course....
http://www.thereibrain.com/realestate-blog/jason-gilbert-commercial-millions-course-review/254/
Take it for what it is worth, but, that site gives out Local RE stat's. for our small area, & that is beneficial.
Paul,
That link to a "review" is from an affiliate site; that affiliate site will share in the "take" of revenues for all orders placed through the affiliate.
I would be very skeptical of any review that originates from such an affiliate site, as they have a stake in converting visitors into orders.
Right you are Steve....thanks for the heads-up.
I guess no one wants to give unbiased advice...except on BP
I purchased Jason's material and also attended his bootcamp. The concepts for a JVF and MLO are easy but in reality, they are not easy deals to complete. Please do a lot of due diligence before you purchase any material, attend any bootcamps or purchase his support packages. You can end up deeply in debt after everything else is said and done.
Thank you for sharing Jerrie.
Oh my goodness. I'm a little surprised by some of the posts on this thread from a few so called investors. Is Jason's system right for everyone? The answer is no. If you don't have the right mindset and aren't willing to apply yourself then no system from anyone will make you a dime. Don't waste your money unless you are willing to really run with it for at least a year. The problem is not the guru, the problem is you. I hear these excuses all the time from people who expect to make a few phone calls and make millions. I even read something earlier about someone who wrote down peoples phone numbers on the back of his cards and checked with them a month later to see how they were doing. Are you serious? A month? What real business is out there that makes millions in a month or any significant amount of money in that time? Also, what makes you think just because you spend a little money on a system it means the guru owes you something? Do you really think spending $1000 entitles you to a successful business? If you are a true business owner, this all sounds so silly. Buying a course can only go so far. Its kind of like reading a book and taking a class to ride a bike. You can have a Phd in it but won't ever truly learn how to ride that bike until you hop on and start peddling.
I once started a free course on how to flip residential short sales. I gave classes in the evenings for free to people that wanted to learn about investing in real estate. I spent over two weeks teaching on how to find short sale property and how to flip them legally and properly. I even supplied all the funds, forms and offered 50/50 splits for any properties I bought and resold. My attorney made himself available to answer legal questions. My CPA and tax person came in and taught also. You know how many people brought me a legit deal out of all the people that attended? Try zero. I made the course free because I once thought that guru's who sold their courses for thousands were being unfair to people. It really opened my eyes and made me realize why these guru's charge for their courses. It separates the ones that really want to succeed and those that are just pretenders.
If spending a few thousand dollars or more on a legit business sounds unreasonable to you, you need to probably just take a job and collect a check. If you want to become a true real estate investor then you need to spend money on your RE investing education and be prepared to really work at it for a while. Stop crying about your life or about how some guru sold you a bad course. You only have yourself to blame for not taking your real estate business seriously. I'm sure if you bought a McDonalds restaurant you would take it seriously, right? Same thing applies here.
If you are new to real estate investing you basically have two choices. You can invest in your education by buying courses you want to try or take the time to learn from those who actually close deals and own property. Neither one of these choices are easy and both will take time and money.
Personally I like Jason's courses and have spent ten's of thousands of dollars on similar products. They give me new ideas and ways of looking at real estate investments. I find ways to make even more money. It also helps me cut down on mistakes I learn from others experiences which you can not put a price tag on.
Anyways, good luck, get serious, and get to work.
BVig
There is really very little that is new in all these guru's programs. However, just because its not new doesn't mean it well known.
I was hoping someone has contact information for Amy Smith with Commercial Millions and Jason Gilbert?
I want to thank her for harassing me to the point to go to that meeting!!
It made me a Commercial Millionaire!!!
I guess that might be? Or maybe it's because the vast majority of them make money selling re-selling courses?
The deal you offered your students is actually very interesting.. and I applaud you for making it. I am betting the percentage of "gurus" who
would agree to that offer is near zero.
Personally, I found Jason's program interesting but mostly not practical real world. Similar to other programs, it works great on paper.
This is funny this came up today.
I remember getting the free materials a long time ago years and years. The MLO and other things are the pitch. The info received did have some useful info but made it sound easy.
I didn't give ONE CENT to this company. They called and wanted 1,000. Then they said come on out and be a speaker etc. and wanted 15,000. The guy on the phone was very persistent but stopped calling me after a few calls.
I can't remember but must have been 4 years or so ago.
I just received an e-mail today from Jason Gilbert. It mentioned something about you might remember me from years ago with such and such company and now I am doing something much better ! He had moved on or something.
I think it still had to do with real estate but didn't read through the whole e-mail. It's the same selling something. I can't say anything bad about this company because except for the free materials and phone calls I never had any other interaction with them.