Land Investor Course Recommendations

Land Investor Course Recommendations

Flipper · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 4 votes

Recommendations for step by step land investing; for affordable price without any fluff...to the point.  I am very familiar with wholesaling.  Looking for suggested automation, techniques and strategies without reading and watching overload of materials.   I'm looking to take action; and value following proven methods.

0Reply
117 views

Most Popular Reply

Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 23 votes
9y

@Joe Fairless This is an email that I sent to Seth Williams after we sold our first property.  I bought my second lot for $100 and sold it 3 weeks later for $1100.

Seth, I would like to thank you for everything that you do! I found your website, and sent my first 250 postcard mailer in June. I received a 6% return rate, and had a chance to purchase 4 properties. Three of these were in a subdivision with high HOA fees and 1 was in a flood zone. I decided that none of these were a good fit for me. I modified my list from the same county, deleted the owners who were in these subdivisions, and sent my second mailer of 440 post cards. I received a 7% return rate and had the chance to purchase 4 more properties! Two were in a very rural area with limited access, and one was in a flood zone. The 4th property was a beautiful .5 acre wooded lot in a sought after school district! This lot was appraised for $40,000 and we purchased it for $1500 + $1300 in delinquent taxes and $750 in closing costs. We sold this today, 40 days later for $9500! I have sent 2 more mailers (600 post cards) since this purchase, but, i have not purchased another lot. I had a solid lead that backed out last week. I have learned a lot on my first sale and believe that I am very close buying more property. These are some of the things that I have learned:
  • Get used to hearing the word NO! A lot! I have worked in sales for several years, and am used to this, but it still frustrates me at times.
  • Set your offer range and stick with it! I was really close to overpaying for a beach lot that I found in my 3rd mailer. I love the area and wanted to keep it for myself if it did not sell. Thank God my Wife was there to keep me on track!
  • I need to learn to do most of the closing work on my own. We were lucky to find a property that had enough profit to pay for the $750 closing cost. This will not be the case on some of the lower priced properties that are abundant in this area.
  • DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE CURRENT YEAR’S PRORATED TAX BALANCE!!! I did not know that I was responsible for this year’s taxes! I was informed that I owed $700 in taxes when i showed up to close! Thank God this property had plenty of profit margin and easily covered this balance!
  • Don’t rely on the county’s appraisal rate when setting your purchase and sale price. A realtor advised me to list this property for $27,500. I listed it at this price for a week and got zero emails or phone calls. I dropped it to $15,500 and got some interest. I dropped it to $11,000 and the calls began to come in.
  • List your property on any website that offers free advertisement. I got a lot of inquiry from buy/sell/trade groups on Facebook. I also used Craigslist, ForSaleByOwner.com, Zillow, and a very popular local classified website called SouthEastTexas.com (my buyer found me on setx.com) I was disappointed with Zillow. My property was the #1 viewed in this city for the last 40 days, it was viewed 1400 times, and I only received 1 email. Zillow allows realtors to advertise on for sale by owner adds. I cannot prove it, but I am pretty sure that the realtors received some inquiries that were not shared with me. (I called Zillow, and I was told that they received some inquiries about my listing, but they would not tell me how many)
  • DON’T GIVE UP!!!! These mailers have taught me that there are more motivated sellers and more property available than I will be able to buy!

Please keep up the hard work. I really enjoy reading your blog and would not have purchased this property if I would not have stumbled across REtipster.com!!!

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 23 votes
    9y
    Check out www.retipster.com. I found this in June and I have made a $7000 profit flipping 2 lots in my spare time.
  • Flipper · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks, did you pay for his land course or is there link that will guide me in best direction?  I've checked out LandGeek, Land Academy and already looked at Seth Williams Reitipster (which I like his straight-forwardness).  After just doing months of researching on wholesaling, I learned at the end of the day...information overload stinks and there's too much fluff in having to cut through to learn what I ended up learning.  I don't want to experience the same with learning about land.  I don't want to spend hours on hours of listening to podcasts, picking up nuggets...and lots of fluff.  I need to the point program that will actually get me started after few hours of research/learning...I'm not looking for few months of learning.  Don't get me wrong, I value the learning, I'm not looking to cut corners...I just want direct apply to real world strategy with no upselling involved.

  • Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    I did not pay for anything.  I did listen to a couple of Seth's podcast, but I learned most of the things that I needed by reading his blog.  Feel free to private message me for contact information.  We can speak by phone if it will help you.

  • Flipper · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks Greg...I'll let you know if get stuck to reach out to you.  Congrats on the $7000 start!!

  • Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    Thanks Alan!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 515 votes
    9y

    Alan Wolkov, let me know how to reach you and I'll get you what you need.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Greg Srader wow, congrats on the 7k start. Any lessons learned that you can share from the experience that would benefit us? 

    @Alan Wolkov I'm not familiar with the Land Academy (yet) but do know that @Seth Williams and @Mark Podolsky provide great content. I saw on Seth's website he actually did a review of Mark's program and ultimately recommended it (while mentioning things he didn't like as well). 

  • Flipper · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hi Jack, Thank you for your direct reaching out.  I would be more than happy to start out signing up for your free membership; but I don't want to get bogged down with lots more reading, and listening; other than step by step instructions to finding and closing deals; via where to go for auctions, online sourses, what I need to make sure to understand; etc.  I'm a business owner...always busy...and need quicker straight to the point help ...and at same time understand your a business owner with business model as well to develop your course.  I've just come off months of research and course for wholesaling.  It's been exhausting at times...with waiting for the course to get to the point.  (I won't name the very reputable course) The course experience is double edged...as I needed to learn; but there was just way too many hours of talk and information that could have been wrapped up in an hour rather than 10 hours.    I value what you are offering; but I'm not prepared to pay $2000+$250/mth right now and go through this again.  The price is too big a leap for me right now...and I realize from your position it could be the difference of my ever getting off the ground with land investing.  I get it.

    If you still think you can direct me to direct step by step information to get me started...and I can always keep future consideration open to your course...would be very appreciated.  Exactly what I am looking for right now...is one video/one 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 page document to walk me step by step to close a first deal.  I realize there are many more techniques that can be learned for the future.   I understand the costs involved with companies like RealQuest, titlepro, dealing direct with counties.  If you include in your package price fees to Core Logic, TitlePro and others...that is a value; that could help me with your membership price/s.   I understand the mailing letters process.  I understand the importance of automation and va's.  I get the overall general process; although don't know how to apply to land.

    I simply don't know anything about land investing/how to find the deal/how to sell the deal.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 515 votes
    9y

    @Alan Wolkov,I like your style. I'll contact you tomorrow and get you started. Please think about this between now and then; bare bones, you need some education and access to tolls (assessor data and bulk mail printing) to but property right. These tools and learning to use them are not free. Like learning to play the guitar, get one in your hands and get some good lessons, see if its for you.

  • Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless This is an email that I sent to Seth Williams after we sold our first property.  I bought my second lot for $100 and sold it 3 weeks later for $1100.

    Seth, I would like to thank you for everything that you do! I found your website, and sent my first 250 postcard mailer in June. I received a 6% return rate, and had a chance to purchase 4 properties. Three of these were in a subdivision with high HOA fees and 1 was in a flood zone. I decided that none of these were a good fit for me. I modified my list from the same county, deleted the owners who were in these subdivisions, and sent my second mailer of 440 post cards. I received a 7% return rate and had the chance to purchase 4 more properties! Two were in a very rural area with limited access, and one was in a flood zone. The 4th property was a beautiful .5 acre wooded lot in a sought after school district! This lot was appraised for $40,000 and we purchased it for $1500 + $1300 in delinquent taxes and $750 in closing costs. We sold this today, 40 days later for $9500! I have sent 2 more mailers (600 post cards) since this purchase, but, i have not purchased another lot. I had a solid lead that backed out last week. I have learned a lot on my first sale and believe that I am very close buying more property. These are some of the things that I have learned:
    • Get used to hearing the word NO! A lot! I have worked in sales for several years, and am used to this, but it still frustrates me at times.
    • Set your offer range and stick with it! I was really close to overpaying for a beach lot that I found in my 3rd mailer. I love the area and wanted to keep it for myself if it did not sell. Thank God my Wife was there to keep me on track!
    • I need to learn to do most of the closing work on my own. We were lucky to find a property that had enough profit to pay for the $750 closing cost. This will not be the case on some of the lower priced properties that are abundant in this area.
    • DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE CURRENT YEAR’S PRORATED TAX BALANCE!!! I did not know that I was responsible for this year’s taxes! I was informed that I owed $700 in taxes when i showed up to close! Thank God this property had plenty of profit margin and easily covered this balance!
    • Don’t rely on the county’s appraisal rate when setting your purchase and sale price. A realtor advised me to list this property for $27,500. I listed it at this price for a week and got zero emails or phone calls. I dropped it to $15,500 and got some interest. I dropped it to $11,000 and the calls began to come in.
    • List your property on any website that offers free advertisement. I got a lot of inquiry from buy/sell/trade groups on Facebook. I also used Craigslist, ForSaleByOwner.com, Zillow, and a very popular local classified website called SouthEastTexas.com (my buyer found me on setx.com) I was disappointed with Zillow. My property was the #1 viewed in this city for the last 40 days, it was viewed 1400 times, and I only received 1 email. Zillow allows realtors to advertise on for sale by owner adds. I cannot prove it, but I am pretty sure that the realtors received some inquiries that were not shared with me. (I called Zillow, and I was told that they received some inquiries about my listing, but they would not tell me how many)
    • DON’T GIVE UP!!!! These mailers have taught me that there are more motivated sellers and more property available than I will be able to buy!

    Please keep up the hard work. I really enjoy reading your blog and would not have purchased this property if I would not have stumbled across REtipster.com!!!

  • Flipper · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks Greg!!  Did you need to zone your property differently or do anything special to make the sale?  Not that it matters; but what was your buyer intending to do with the land? 

  • Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    @Alan Wolkov

    I did nothing to the property or the zoning. I didn't even mow the grass! The first buyer is going to build a house. The second buyer owns the house next door and wanted to avoid having a new neighbor. I would suggest searching in areas that allow mobile homes because that is my most common inquiry. Good Luck!

  • Flipper · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Jack Butala, Noted with thanks

    @Greg Srader, appreciate your notes tonight...curious on one more thing regarding selling...how did the neighbor find you or vice versa?

  • Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 23 votes
    9y
    Alan Wolkov I live close enough to this property to place a for sale sign on it, and he called me. I am going to use Seth Williams advice on my next purchase and send letters to several neighbors offering a neighbor discount.
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2012 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hi Alan

    I started investing in land in October 2014.  When I started, I was in the same spot as you trying to way to pros and cons of everyone's programs and I choose The Land Geek program.

    There are many reasons why I chose Mark, here are a few:

    • He's the one guy that I could tell was still doing deals and lots of them.  Many of the "Guru's" stop doing deals.  I can tell you that Mark is still an active investor and is not just teaching old stuff.  The market is always evolving and Mark is on the Front Lines along with his students.
    • I felt an instant connection to Mark, he truly is concerned about his student's success, not just selling training material.
    • I found Mark's community to be incredible.  They say that products can be copied but culture can not and you will find that Mark's community is the top and they are truly engaged.

    So how did it work out for me?  Well, you see, the reason I was interested in Investing in Land was that I was a VP of a Fortune 300 company and I felt my job was at risk.  Following Mark's program, I replaced my executive income in 17 months and 3 days.

    In 2015, I completed 68 sales, in 2016, we have already completed 160+ deals and over the summer we closed on a $800,000 bulk deal worth in excess of $3,200,000.  Today I work on my business 1-2 hours per day and earn very nice passive income.

    Through this program, I have been great friends with Mark and many in his community and I would highly recommend you talk to Mark about his Flight School Program.  If I were starting over, that is exactly where I would start.

    Should you have questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

    And if you would like to know more about my story, check out his video testimonial I created for Mark.

    Best of Luck on your endeavor!

    Scott

  • Flipper · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Scott Todd What is the cost of the Flight School Program (is this free)?  How many hours/days/weeks should I need to learn from thsi Flight School Program?  Are all modules released at one time for learning, are true step by step offered; including websites being used to buy/sell land? 

    Then what is Gold Mastermind for $97/mth? 

    Then what is the bootcamp for $997-$1497 and can this bootcamp be completed without physically having to fly to a different state?  Or do you offer a toolkit; if I'm not wanting to travel yet?

    I've read great things about Mark.  I'm looking right now to gain enough real knowledge to start buying/selling land and want a direct learning venue without fluff.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2012 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Alan Wolkov I don't know the cost of Flight School, you will need to discuss that with Mark.  Flight School is an online, instructor led program over 8 weeks that gives you the information you need to execute in real time.

    I believe that Gold Mastermind is included with Flight School.  That is access to the Land Geek community and access to Mark's weekly recorded Mastermind calls.  I can tell you when I started listening to the Mastermind calls, I was energized!

    I also believe that Bootcamp is included in FlightSchool.  Bootcamp is live training over 2.5 days that walks you through this entire business.

    Land investing is a simple model, but it's not a simple business.

    My suggestion would be to discuss your options with Mark, but I think Flight School would be an incredible program for you as it's weekly training and execution to make sure you succeed.

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the kind words @Greg Srader and for sharing your insights here - those are some awesome lessons that a lot of new players can learn from.

    @Alan Wolkov - I can totally understand what you're saying (by wanting to get down to business and avoid the "fluff"). My mind works that way too.

    In my experience, whenever I've truly wanted to learn a new business inside and out (especially if I didn't know anything about it to begin with) I've found that it's very difficult to completely cut out the less exciting aspects of the business and whittle everything down to a short list of bullet points.

    There are definitely a lot of "quick start" guides out there (and they're great for highlighting the biggest action steps at the outset), but there's still a lot of learning that needs to happen to fill in the gaps. There is always more to the story if you want to run a sustainable business.

    Every business has some aspects that are dull and monotonous, but that doesn't necessarily make those things less important (and in some cases, those things may even be the most important areas to get right). 

    I can see the value in a one-on-one coaching relationship in some cases. A lot of coaches (if they're good) should be able to shorten the learning curve for you individually, by understanding precisely where you're at and tailoring a plan for you... but ultimately, I wouldn't lose sight of the fact that you'll still have to put in the time and get your own first-hand experience with it - that's where the real, tangible learning happens.

  • Flipper · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Seth Williams Thanks for your note and I understand your points.  What quick start would you recommmend I give a read; so I can determine if this will be right for me?  My biggest concern is will I be able to easily find buyers of the land I acquire...and can I still acquire good land deals through auctions rather than marketing to sellers?  

    Approx how long to learn from your course if I pay in full; so don't have to wait for next module to release?

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    9y

    @Alan Wolkov - I think your concern about finding buyers is a valid one. It's an area where some struggle (especially in the beginning), but it's certainly overcomeable - and it's something that can definitely get easier when you get more established, learn how to advertise effectively and build up a buyers list.

    To put it as simply as possible, I'd say it's ultimately a matter of:

    1. Buying the right properties in the first place.
    2. Offering a compelling price point (which usually isn't hard, if you buy it right).
    3. Compiling the information well (with good images and descriptions).
    4. Getting your listing in front of as many eyeballs as possible (and keeping it visible).
    5. If you're able to, provide the option for seller financing, so buyers have more ways to buy your property if they're unable to get the cash from another source.

    Does that make sense? If any of the other guys have anything to add - feel free to chime in.

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 136 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    @Alan Wolkov what did you end up doing?

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Alan Wolkov & @Marcus Brown What course did you each end up going with & what has been your experience?

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 136 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Anthony C Palacino I joined Land Academy in late 2018, so far I really like it. I think the best part of the membership is access to the pro member part of the Land Investors forums. It's not super active but most questions do get answered, and I feel that having access to that area gives me more credibility to the more experienced investors there. Also if you plan to send out a lot of offers at once, the $250/month for unlimited data pulls ($0.10 each) is well worth it, compared to Agentpro's monthly cost and limited monthly pulls.

  • South Padre Island, TX · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 69 votes
    7y

    Listen to Casual Fridays REI podcast, especially the first 30 or so episodes. Listen to the earliest RETipster podcasts and watch his YouTube videos. That should teach you what you need to know to get started. Take the money you were going to spend on training and put it into mailers. It's a profitable niche, you just have to stick with it.

  • Linda HastingsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Stockdale, TX · Member since 2017 · 284 posts · 202 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Marcus Brown:

    @Anthony C Palacino I joined Land Academy in late 2018, so far I really like it. I think the best part of the membership is access to the pro member part of the Land Investors forums. It's not super active but most questions do get answered, and I feel that having access to that area gives me more credibility to the more experienced investors there. Also if you plan to send out a lot of offers at once, the $250/month for unlimited data pulls ($0.10 each) is well worth it, compared to Agentpro's monthly cost and limited monthly pulls.

    For what it's worth, you don't have to do a monthly subscription with AgentPro247. You can do "pay as you go" data dollars that you can use for data pulls at $0.05 per record (the cheapest price I have found). You have to buy the data dollars in increments of $15 with a minimum of $30 starting out, but then that money can be used for data pulls, property reports, whatever you want. No monthly limit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.